No Youth Boys Summer Basketball Camp @ Lamar

Noticed that Coach Knight has decided to not have a youth boys summer basketball camp at Lamar this year.  I guess he has a lot of other things to get headed in the right direction in his first off season with Lamar.

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/camps/m-baskbl-camp.html

Last year when Jason Hooten came on the scene at SHSU, he still held a summer basketball camp. Granted, he already had a home in Huntsville, that make not seem like a big deal, but even first year football coach Willie Fritz held a summer camp his first year.

Did Tidwell hold a basketball camp his first year at Lamar?

[quote name="AJ25" post="998830" timestamp="1303080396"]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=83275.msg998763#msg998763 date=1303070617]
I'm not sure that's the best PR for a new coach coming in.
[/quote]

I don't think not having a kids camp over the summer is going to ruin his PR rep.
[/quote]

It doesn't help it.

Tidwell came to Lamar in 2007, and hosted a summer camp:

http://www.beaumontbuzz.com/beaumont-2007-summer-camps.htm

[quote]

2007 Larry Tidwell's Lamar Lady Cardinals Basketball Camp

June 18-21, 2007
9am-4:30pm
Phone:  880-1740
Admission:  $125.00
Summer Camp II:
Girls - Grades 5-12

Each Camper Receives:
-Daily lunch buffet
-Basketball T-shirt
-Personal Written Evaluation
-Certificates for Contest Winners
-Camp Certificate[/quote]

[quote name="JJWooten" post="998854" timestamp="1303085141"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=83275.msg998830#msg998830 date=1303080396]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=83275.msg998763#msg998763 date=1303070617]
[/quote]

I don't think not having a kids camp over the summer is going to ruin his PR rep.
[/quote]

It doesn't help it.
[/quote]

He has an entire new coaching staff, roster, and conference to get ready for. As much as everyone would like to see him having a kids camp, those 3 things are far more important. I think everyone is extremely happy about how everything has shook out... Now it's time to let the man do his job to see if this program can finally be turned aroundd..

[quote name="JJWooten" post="998763" timestamp="1303070617"]
[/quote]

You're the only one who seems to be worried about it.

He will probably have at least 6 scholarships to fill for 2012, so I'm sure the guy will be everywhere recruiting.

It's not a big deal to me this year fellows.  I know he has a lot to get ready for.  This will possibly be my first year buying season tickets and if I do, I don't want to be dissapointed with the on the court product.

Now next summer, I'd like to see a summer camp...

I see not having a summer camp as a positive!
From experience I can tell you that running camps are ALOT of work, work that diverts your attention from the business of running a DI sports program.
The obvious follow up question to this is... WHY DO COACHES BOTHER WITH CAMPS?

The answer is simple, camps make money that line the coaches pocket (in some cases the coaches will funnel some of that $$ back into the program).

[quote name="Crazy Card Fan" post="998958" timestamp="1303104875"]
I see not having a summer camp as a positive!
From experience I can tell you that running camps are ALOT of work, work that diverts your attention from the business of running a DI sports program.
The obvious follow up question to this is... WHY DO COACHES BOTHER WITH CAMPS?

The answer is simple, camps make money that line the coaches pocket (in some cases the coaches will funnel some of that $$ back into the program).

[/quote]

What a [b]lot[/b] of people do not know is that a lot of programs hire coaches for realllllllly cheap, and their role is literally "Camp Director.." There job is to set up, direct, deal with the camp, etc... Keeps the head and main assistant coaches from having to do it. And the coaches that are the camp directors get a good amount of the money from the camp, and the rest goes into the program. LU doesn't have one of those. Makes it tough on the rest of the coaches to have to deal with it.

[quote name="Big Ford" post="999266" timestamp="1303178240"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=83275.msg999202#msg999202 date=1303162479]
take your kid fishing....
[/quote]

Just bought a boat not even a week ago for that!  We will do plenty of that but they both love their sports too!
[/quote]Boat? Well, that makes things a bit different and entertaining ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics