Lowest scoring game?

no-look

Im not trying to start anything, but it takes a basketball purist to enjoy and really understand the Buna games or the Huntington game.  I heard alot of things from different people after the Huntington game on both sides, but I found out that the people that KNEW the game enjoyed it and really relished it. 
And it was not Huntington intentions for the game to be that low in score, the coaches felt the best opportunity to win was to pull Woodville out and make them guard them in a whole half court.  Woodville did not come out and guard them so they held the ball. If Woodville would have come out and guarding them they could have tried to score.
I do the same thing with my Youth League team and my son, they sit back in a zone at 8 years old and want us to shoot 3 pointers.  Not many 2nd graders can shoot a 3 with correct form, so when we get a 6-8 point lead I tell my son to hold the ball and make them come guard him.  It opens up the whole game when they have to guard you in the entire halfcourt. 
It is more of a strategy thing, no coach is going to hold the ball and pass up uncontested layups.  If the defense will come out and guard them then coaches will play the game and try to get the best scoring opportunities. 

[quote name="east texas bb" post="940135" timestamp="1293769647"]
Im not trying to start anything, but it takes a basketball purist to enjoy and really understand the Buna games or the Huntington game.  I heard alot of things from different people after the Huntington game on both sides, but I found out that the people that KNEW the game enjoyed it and really relished it. 
And it was not Huntington intentions for the game to be that low in score, the coaches felt the best opportunity to win was to pull Woodville out and make them guard them in a whole half court.  Woodville did not come out and guard them so they held the ball. If Woodville would have come out and guarding them they could have tried to score.
I do the same thing with my Youth League team and my son, they sit back in a zone at 8 years old and want us to shoot 3 pointers.  Not many 2nd graders can shoot a 3 with correct form, so when we get a 6-8 point lead I tell my son to hold the ball and make them come guard him.  It opens up the whole game when they have to guard you in the entire halfcourt. 
It is more of a strategy thing, no coach is going to hold the ball and pass up uncontested layups.  If the defense will come out and guard them then coaches will play the game and try to get the best scoring opportunities. 
[/quote]Being a Buna alumni, I gotta admit, I'm proud of those guys.  But alas, it was before my time, so I didn't get to see any of it.  But they said that Buna would beat all the 4A (which was the max classification back then) schools.  It was weird looking at 8-6 and 12-8 scores.

I don't know, but it doesn't make for a gym-packer of a game.  I'd get more out of watching a good game of curling or what-not.

But then again, I played two years of full court pressure/run and gun style basketball at Buna and we never made the play-offs.  Unfortunately, we were in the same district as those damn HJ Hawks (well, at least I thought they were damned back then!).

Using the whole court reminds me of UNC's Dean Smith's Four Corners offense. Reason for the current shot clock. Having watched UNC do this, as a fan, it was frustrating. We are accustomed to seeing scoring and then not to have it is like taking the pacifier from a baby. If a high school team felt that this was their best way to be competitive with a much more superior team, then go for it. Puts the pressure on the other team to come out of their comfort zone and play the whole half court.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    praise086
    Newest Member
    praise086