Dont Assume Johnson Will Start

KFDM COOP

There are a few things I want to say. First, Jeremy is 6’2” tall and he weighs 187 lbs. He has not been 175 lbs. since his junior year in high school. Second, he decided to come to Lamar because he did not want to sit out a second year to play for another FBS school, or go the JUCO route like Cam Newton did. Third, Lamar offered JJ a scholarship before they offered anyone else a scholarship back in 2009. Fourth, he did not leave WVU because he was homesick. There were other issues that came into play. The homesick statement that WVU made was a cover story for other underlying issues. Not only did Jeremy leave WVU, seven other players left including the # 2 ranked dual threat QB in the nation Barry Brunetti. Furthermore, they fired their OC Jeff Mullens, RB coach Beattie, OL coach Johnson, TE coach McMichael and their HC Bill Stewart is a lame duck coach for one year before they reassign him after the 2011 season. Fifth, JJ will compete for the QB job and he will be fine. I am not going to say a whole lot about the stats, but I will say this: JJ threw a lot of balls down the field his senior year.  He did not throw a whole lot of those hitch passes and screen plays that build stats, like some do. So, if a 57% completion rating seems horrible to some, that’s ok. It got him noticed on the nation level (Ranked 9th by rivals.com, Ranked 8th by scout.com, and Ranked 5th in Texas by sports Illustrated) even if he didn’t play for a 5A school. By the way, Earl Thomas, Tramain Thomas, Sean Weatherspoon, and Trey Franks didn’t either.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BKJ85" post="942592" timestamp="1294206877"]
There are a few things I want to say. First, Jeremy is 6’2” tall and he weighs 187 lbs. He has not been 175 lbs. since his junior year in high school. Second, he decided to come to Lamar because he did not want to sit out a second year to play for another FBS school, or go the JUCO route like Cam Newton did. Third, Lamar offered JJ a scholarship before they offered anyone else a scholarship back in 2009. Fourth, he did not leave WVU because he was homesick. There were other issues that came into play. The homesick statement that WVU made was a cover story for other underlying issues. Not only did Jeremy leave WVU, seven other players left including the # 2 ranked dual threat QB in the nation Barry Brunetti. Furthermore, they fired their OC Jeff Mullens, RB coach Beattie, OL coach Johnson, TE coach McMichael and their HC Bill Stewart is a lame duck coach for one year before they reassign him after the 2011 season. Fifth, JJ will compete for the QB job and he will be fine. I am not going to say a whole lot about the stats, but I will say this: JJ threw a lot of balls down the field his senior year.  He did not throw a whole lot of those hitch passes and screen plays that build stats, like some do. So, if a 57% completion rating seems horrible to some, that’s ok. It got him noticed on the nation level (Ranked 9th by rivals.com, Ranked 8th by scout.com, and Ranked 5th in Texas by sports Illustrated) even if he didn’t play for a 5A school. By the way, Earl Thomas, Tramain Thomas, Sean Weatherspoon, and Trey Franks didn’t either.

[/quote]I've seen the QB's on the list above,not Miles Taylor, and they throw/threw as many screen plays and hitches as the next guy....

Don't know how much of what you say, in reference to JJ, is true on why he left WV....but.... ok.

He's here now, they're will be competition at the QB spot, Good luck to all the young men competing...

[quote name="Sgt Rey" post="942654" timestamp="1294237401"]
[quote author=BKJ85 link=topic=77914.msg942592#msg942592 date=1294206877]

[/quote]I've seen the QB's on the list above,not Miles Taylor, and they throw/threw as many screen plays and hitches as the next guy....

Don't know how much of what you say, in reference to JJ, is true on why he left WV....but.... ok.

He's here now, they're will be competition at the QB spot, Good luck to all the young men competing...
[/quote]I'm his Father. Like you I am a proud dad, and all of the WVU stuff is true.

[quote name="BKJ85" post="942592" timestamp="1294206877"]

[/quote]

Very good post.  Hopefully this will shut up all the chatter.

In all honesty, Jeremy Johnson is too good of a talent not to have at QB. With spring practices under his belt, acclamation in a new offense, and reps to get timing down with new WRs, JJ should have a very productive year at Lamar.

The potential of landing Derrick Hall and the signing of Depauldirck Garrett will provide him with a run option that was completely absent last season for LU.

Bevil is now a WR, Doug Prewitt will be a great back-up, Dionte Forney won't even play QB at Lamar. I think LU only gets better with Johnson at QB

[quote name="BKJ85" post="942680" timestamp="1294238711"]
[quote author=Sgt Rey link=topic=77914.msg942654#msg942654 date=1294237401]
[quote author=BKJ85 link=topic=77914.msg942592#msg942592 date=1294206877]

[/quote]I'm his Father. Like you I am a proud dad, and all of the WVU stuff is true.
[/quote]Verified....Sorry about your experience in WV...no one said 57% completion is horrible...someone made it seem like he was the only one that delt with dropped passes...like you said, we are proud fathers, and we should be...can't say that any parent wouldn't be proud of their kid.

I still say this will be resolved in the fall...and still say good luck to all the hunt.

[quote name="Sgt Rey" post="942347" timestamp="1294195822"]
[size=14pt]67%[/size] [size=14pt]vs 57%[/size].....what else needs to be said?  they both had drops....etc..one played 3A and one played 5A

what's your point....? ???
[/quote]

Sgt, I believe my prior post clearly state what I thought needed to be said. Sorry, if you can't figure it out. I'm not going be try to take lightly a 67% completion percentage. That is great at any level. I think Jeremy's dad made some valid points as to why his completion percentage was down compared to others. The comparison you make about 3A and 5A is true but there are very talented players to play HS ball at small schools. There just aren't as many of them. To be honest here and obviously JJ dad has too much class to say it. But, JJ had 3A talent around him. The O-lineman were 3A level, WR's 3A level, RB's 3A level and so on. I'm sure there were 2-3 drops per game. Plus, throwing the ball down the field instead of hitch passes and screens to the RB and WR's makes a difference.

As far as talent that has came from small schools. You can add Troy Aikman, Tony Dorsett, Emmitt Smith, Colt McCoy, Eric Dickerson, Tramain Thomas (Arkansas), Sean Weatherspoon (Missouri), Trey Franks (Oklahoma), and possible NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Earl Thomas from 3A WO-S and UT.

Honestly, there are too many to count who starred at a small HS.

BKJ85, thank you and Jeremy for coming to Lamar when he had so many other options. Welcome to Lamar University, we are glad Jeremy chose to become a Lamar Cardinal.

You took the words right out of my mouth BigRed30.  When you have to play with players that are far below your talent level it is hard.  Although he would probably never say that because he is too classy it hurt his numbers.  Fact of the matter is we are lucky as all get out to have this kid at Lamar for multiple reasons.  Can't wait for the first tailgate and game baby!!!

[quote name="sleepy" post="942804" timestamp="1294249914"]
You took the words right out of my mouth BigRed30.  [b]1[/b][b]When you have to play with players that are far below your talent level it is hard[/b].  Although he would probably never say that because he is too [b]2[/b] [b]classy [/b] it hurt [b]3[/b] [b]his[/b] numbers.  Fact of the matter is we are lucky as all get out to have this kid at Lamar for multiple reasons.  Can't wait for the first tailgate and game baby!!!
[/quote]
1. That was........................................stupid.
2. That was........................................stupid.
3. Just stop posting. ;)........................ Team.

But I still want to see him play.

It depends on the position at the 3A level and yes, the QB is effected by the talent around him. That isn't the case with a RB, WR, O-lineman, D-lineman, LB, DB or PK.

I've seen a 3A RB who signed with UT that was bigger than all of his O-lineman.

No need to call out sleepy.

[quote name="bigred360" post="942861" timestamp="1294254164"]
It depends on the position at the 3A level and yes, the QB is effected by the talent around him. That isn't the case with a RB, WR, O-lineman, D-lineman, LB, DB or PK.

[/quote]
Ok..........I will call out you. :D  "all of his O- Line" ......... same size as the the other players that they played against. 

2......two......first team all district O-Line players.
two...2.........second team all district O-Line players.
Total 4 all district linemen.

[quote name="the sports guy" post="942869" timestamp="1294254897"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=77914.msg942861#msg942861 date=1294254164]

[/quote]
Ok..........I will call out you. :D   "all of his O- Line" ......... same size as the the other players that they played against.  

[/quote]

I wasn't talking about his O-lineman. I was thinking back to watching Butch Hadnot.

Since you know it all, was his RB all-district? What about his WR's? Also, with 4 all-district O-lineman how many were offered scholarships?

[quote name="bigred360" post="942884" timestamp="1294256156"]
[quote author=the sports guy link=topic=77914.msg942869#msg942869 date=1294254897]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=77914.msg942861#msg942861 date=1294254164]

[/quote]
Ok..........I will call out you. :D   "all of his O- Line" ......... same size as the the other players that they played against.  

[/quote]

I wasn't talking about his O-lineman. I was thinking back to watching Butch Hadnot.

Since you know it all, was his RB all-district? What about his WR's?

[/quote]
Yes annnnnnnd Yes.  I had to look it up on SETXsports.  1 first string running back, 2 first string W/R (out of four picked), and one 2nd team W/R.

And yes JJ helped them get their #s.  :D

Sorry, I forgot about the scholarship thing. ...No Scholarship players.  But I dont think they went up against a bunch of Scholarship players they went up againts other "lower level" D-Linemen.....evens out.

Dang, with all that talent they should have went pretty deep in the playoffs.  :D No need for excuses for no other players given scholarship opportunities. I'm not talking about just the o-lineman but the RB or one of the 3 all-district WR's.

Can we please get back on the topic "Dont Assume Johnson Will Start".  

No disrespect to the Johnsons and I look forward to the best on the field performer leading Lamar next fall, but on average one of the biggest problems high school players from smaller schools going into D1 sports is they have rarely competed head to head with equally talented players.  These young men typically have to raise their work ethic if they want to get playing time and sometimes it takes a while to learn this and adjust.

[quote name="bigred360" post="942797" timestamp="1294249495"]
[quote author=Sgt Rey link=topic=77914.msg942347#msg942347 date=1294195822]
[size=14pt]67%[/size] [size=14pt]vs 57%[/size].....what else needs to be said?  they both had drops....etc..one played 3A and one played 5A

what's your point....? ???
[/quote]

Sgt, I believe my prior post clearly state what I thought needed to be said. Sorry, if you can't figure it out. [b]I'm not going be try to take lightly a 67% completion percentage. [/b]That is great at any level. I think Jeremy's dad made some valid points as to why his completion percentage was down compared to others. The comparison you make about 3A and 5A is true but there are very talented players to play HS ball at small schools. There just aren't as many of them. To be honest here and obviously JJ dad has too much class to say it. But, JJ had 3A talent around him. The O-lineman were 3A level, WR's 3A level, RB's 3A level and so on. I'm sure there were 2-3 drops per game. Plus, throwing the ball down the field instead of hitch passes and screens to the RB and WR's makes a difference.

As far as talent that has came from small schools. You can add Troy Aikman, Tony Dorsett, Emmitt Smith, Colt McCoy, Eric Dickerson, Tramain Thomas (Arkansas), Sean Weatherspoon (Missouri), Trey Franks (Oklahoma), and possible NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Earl Thomas from 3A WO-S and UT.

Honestly, there are too many to count who starred at a small HS.

BKJ85, thank you and Jeremy for coming to Lamar when he had so many other options. Welcome to Lamar University, we are glad Jeremy chose to become a Lamar Cardinal.
[/quote]
Do you see why I don't understand you now?

[quote name="bigred360" post="943043" timestamp="1294274131"]
No Sgt., I really don't as I was giving your son props for his completion percentage. Did you read the next sentence? I stated that was great at any level. Does the word "Great" mean anything to you?

Well, it is better than good.  ;D
[/quote]
You got to know how much of a clown I am by now..... :D...."The Best" which is better than "Gooder" ;D

[quote name="bigred360" post="943059" timestamp="1294275745"]
Well, then he is a "Gooder" QB. Sounds like you are a great father Sgt Rey.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/West-Brook-quarterback-Reyes-inspired-by-father-822656.php

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=4822023
[/quote]
The Goodest!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed