Dont Assume Johnson Will Start

KFDM COOP

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="941406" timestamp="1294069539"]
WVU wasn't the only school that recruited JJ for QB. Baylor, Michigan, Kentucky, TCU, along with many others wanted Jeremy at QB. [b]I understand that Briles is still wanting JJ at Baylor to be his next QB. ;)[/b]

Sleepy, like you said, I'll take those guys knowledge over these wannabee's on here. ;)
[/quote]

So, would you as a coach change what you have built?  Do you change what was working?  Do you change your program to accommodate someone who will probably transfer after one year?....It doesn't take a sharp knife to know when he left WV, it wasn't to come to Lamar.....unless you tell me otherwise, JJ will most likely be at Baylor in 2012.

not sure who the wannabee comment was for.....don't know too many on here....we're the football guru's that came up with "Da'Butch" and things like that... ;D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can argue all day about who is better (because it is fun), but by next fall, these 2 men will have the final say in who will be the starter. I'll support both of them, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd string, as long as they leave it all out on the field for the Cardinals.

[quote name="Sgt Rey" post="941520" timestamp="1294083684"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=77914.msg941406#msg941406 date=1294069539]
WVU wasn't the only school that recruited JJ for QB. Baylor, Michigan, Kentucky, TCU, along with many others wanted Jeremy at QB. [b]I understand that Briles is still wanting JJ at Baylor to be his next QB. ;)[/b]

Sleepy, like you said, I'll take those guys knowledge over these wannabee's on here. ;)
[/quote]

So, would you as a coach change what you have built?  Do you change what was working?  Do you change your program to accommodate someone who will probably transfer after one year?....It doesn't take a sharp knife to know when he left WV, it wasn't to come to Lamar.....unless you tell me otherwise, JJ will most likely be at Baylor in 2012.

not sure who the wannabee comment was for.....don't know too many on here....we're the football guru's that came up with "Da'Butch" and things like that... ;D
[/quote]

JJ would have to sit out a year if he transfers to Baylor.  Plus, if JJ's not good enough to start at QB at Lamar over a walk on player, then why would Baylor want him as their starting QB after sitting out a year?  Also, Baylor is likely to recruit another very good QB and JJ could very well be in the same situation as WVU and be the 2nd or 3rd string QB.

[quote name="Sgt Rey" post="941356" timestamp="1294062777"]
I don't know that I would give a position out during Spring/Two a days...the game speed and the fact that Prewit has already won at this level, would keep me from making the change...I really don't care what was done in high school[b]...I think he'll probably leave again[/b](IMO)...unless he was truly home sick. 

JJ, im sure would be a fine QB...I would see him in a back up role or maybe in some situational plays(this year), but Prewit has the confidence of this team  and for as young as this program is...everything helps.  I would even put JJ in as a wide receiver...KR, PR...but until the TEAM stops believing in Prewit, JJ will have to learn to be patient.

But sadly, Prewit will be on thin ice all season, there won't be any room for mistakes....We'll have to see how he handles that pressure...Remember, your always one play away from going in the game...be patient JJ your time will come.

[/quote]

Where is he going to go? He just sat out this past season red-shirting at WVU. Then he is going to come to Lamar and play before transferring again? Where? Baylor? He'll have to sit out a year and loose a year of elibility.

This happens all over the country; one guys starts at a college/university and gets beat out by a player recruited or transferring into the program. I say let's wait until Johnson proves he is the best QB on the team during the Spring/Summer. He'll need to earn it, not be given the position.  

Let's revisit this thread in September.

[quote name="Sgt Rey" post="941520" timestamp="1294083684"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well let's think about this for a second oh smart one. He came to Lamar primarily because he was homesick and he did not want to sit out a year.  If he came to Lamar for one year and went to Baylor guess what would happen????He would have to sit out another year at Baylor!!!!!!!!!!! If he transferred after one year at Lamar which would only leave him with 2 years to play because once you start your eligibility you have 5 years to finish 4.  So there goes your "genius theory."

[quote name="hipster" post="941598" timestamp="1294093828"]
Do you aaw fit the definition of a wannabee?  I know quite a few people from Silsbee and they do not remember much about your athletic prowness.  So lay off the bashing of posters
[/quote]

Yep, I fit the definition of a wannabee. That's why I take the coaches and recruiting site's word on JJ's recruitment and not some of the folks on this messageboard.

I think it's been said once on this thread already, but just in case.  Welcome to the Lamar football program JJ.  Now let all the bystanders be quiet and go out and earn the job.  Prove yourself between now and the first game in September to the coaches and your teammates then prove to the fans including me.  For all of the Johnson lovers, I hope he proves you right.  For all of the Prewitt fans I hope he proves you right.  For all the Lamar fans I hope the best QB starts next year and the team continues to improve and has a winning record.

[quote name="sleepy" post="941568" timestamp="1294089424"]
[quote author=Sgt Rey link=topic=77914.msg941520#msg941520 date=1294083684]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well let's think about this for a second oh smart one. He came to Lamar primarily because he was homesick and he did not want to sit out a year.  If he came to Lamar for one year and went to Baylor guess what would happen????He would have to sit out another year at Baylor!!!!!!!!!!! If he transferred after one year at Lamar which would only leave him with 2 years to play because once you start your eligibility you have 5 years to finish 4.  So there goes your "genius theory."
[/quote]
Aaaahh...well I stand corrected....this will be resolved in the fall.

[quote name="epg2793" post="941684" timestamp="1294104103"]
When did the subject on this thread move from "Don't Assume Johnson Will Start" to "What sport did Aggie Are We Play?" This is the wrong site for self-promotion.

EPG
[/quote]
He was a 4yr Letterman in synchronized swimming... ;D

I think a healthy competition at QB is a good thing for LU. Why get so worked up about it? The coaches will select who is best for the team when the time comes. Realistically a QB who had a shot to play for WVU, Baylor Michigan and others would seem to have the upper hand.

[quote name="Gabe" post="942065" timestamp="1294174670"]
I think a healthy competition at QB is a good thing for LU. Why get so worked up about it? The coaches will select who is best for the team when the time comes. Realistically a QB who had a shot to play for WVU, Baylor Michigan and others would seem to have the upper hand.
[/quote]

Thanks for the post Gabe. There is going to be competition at every position per Coach Woodard. Lamar is only a 2nd year program so there will be several changes to the starting line-up. I think the O-line will have a few changes.

Heck, Lamar even brought in a PK to compete with Stout. The guy was a 2nd team juco All-Conference selection but you don't hear the debating going on about that competition.

Makes be wonder why all the debating and personal attacks? Coach Woodard is going to start the best QB that gives his team a shot at winning football games, period.

I'm with you on who it would appear to have the upper hand but it will all get worked out by September.

[quote name="Sgt Rey" post="941361" timestamp="1294063544"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=77914.msg939157#msg939157 date=1293581506]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=77914.msg939139#msg939139 date=1293578325]
AAW, a 57% completion rate as a senior is not too impressive.
[/quote]

[b]There's a lot that can go into that at the HS level. Chances are, there were 2 or 3 drops a game by his receivers. Not saying they did or didn't, but those happen pretty frequently at the HS level compared to the college level which would bring that percentage down. [/b]

And I'm not saying he'd be good at either position, just spit balling and ''what-ifing.'' Either way, LU is better off this season than last, and will be solid contenders in the slc.
[/quote]
Despite the mathematical question of....[b]how much would 2 or 3 catches help 57%[/b]....I still like JJ as a QB, but think he can help LAMAR as a back up(today), on special teams, and yes at WR.

again, still say this team is prewits

[/quote]

See this post about completion precentages. Now, look at a post on another thread regarding completion recentage from the same poster.

[quote name="bigred360" post="942076" timestamp="1294176353"]
[quote author=Sgt Rey link=topic=77914.msg941361#msg941361 date=1294063544]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=77914.msg939157#msg939157 date=1293581506]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=77914.msg939139#msg939139 date=1293578325]
AAW, a 57% completion rate as a senior is not too impressive.
[/quote]

[b]There's a lot that can go into that at the HS level. Chances are, there were 2 or 3 drops a game by his receivers. Not saying they did or didn't, but those happen pretty frequently at the HS level compared to the college level which would bring that percentage down. [/b]

And I'm not saying he'd be good at either position, just spit balling and ''what-ifing.'' Either way, LU is better off this season than last, and will be solid contenders in the slc.
[/quote]
Despite the mathematical question of....how much would 2 or 3 catches help 57%....I still like JJ as a QB, but think he can help LAMAR as a back up(today), on special teams, and yes at WR.

again, still say this team is prewits

[/quote]

See this post about completion precentages. Now, look at a post on another thread regarding completion recentage from the same poster.
[/quote]
What thread?

Sgt Rey
SETXsports Supporter
Senior

[applaud] [smite]

DA' BROOK!

Re: Beaumont Enterprise Super Gold Team
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2010, 08:17:52 AM » Quote  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[b]Bruce Reyes    Beaumont West Brook    154    230    66.96    2,174    19[/b]
Brennan Doty    Port Neches-Groves    232    365    63.56    2,830    29
Terrence Singleton Port Arthur Memorial    141    228    61.84    2,114    21
David Green    Beaumont Ozen            128    208    61.54    2,040    20
Myles Taylor    Hardin                    217    354    61.30    3,313    38

QB's Pct Completion(area leaders)....[b]and of course, every team had it's drops and passes thrown away or 1st down spikes etc... [/b]

See it appears as he is making a logical note about HS completion precentage and what effect dropped passes, passes thrown away or 1st down spikes makes.

However, he doesn't make the same statement when talking about Jeremy Johnson.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124