Thoughts on Softball

maddog

It seems like yesterday that Taylor moved from Baseball with the boys to Girls "Blast" Select Softball. It was not just about the game, it is really growth as human beings and the talent that comes with that also. I remember that 10 and under team like it was yesterday ! 11 players and 8 of them are now playing College ball ! WOW- How time flys by, all the coaching, parents and trips, all bring good memories. My daughter was never the greatest but always seemed to enjoy herself, OH there was the occasional crying of disappointment. But as a whole, I think this has been some of the best times of our life !! I would encourage- Next Time you hear a Kid set their dreams on going to A&M or Texas join with the kids in their dreams, because you never know what life will deal you or them. I am very happy to go watch my daughter play at college, but I am thinking that things will never again be the same as they were when she was a kid because she growing into a real adult !! I sometimes think about the other three kids on that orignal Blast team what made the difference was it me ? or a parent that turned them away and crushed some childs dream.

#1 rule - I would encourage all parents to think - before blurting out some crude or viscious comment that could possible hurt a childs feelings ! Take time to talk to the Coach or other parents after the game or after practice in PRIVATE where young tender ears can not hear!! You know at times we (Parents) are the ones that don't act our ages. 

Enjoy the times you have with your children, time is really - very short from a child to an adult !!

[quote name="GCM Fan" post="927224" timestamp="1291602635"]
Very well put .
[/quote]

Really?

I must be slow, I couldn't keep up with all the changes of direction

I understand what you are saying Mike. I think back to that 10u team also. That was a special group of kids. Now they are all grown up young ladies. Most of them living their dream , playing college softball.

Not being around softball back then, I have some questions. What brought that group of girls together? What made them special at 10u or when did you as parents and friends realize they were a special group of girls? I have read about there accomplishments and have met several of the ladies from this team and they have been it has been great for my daughter to learn from them. I also hope that my daughter can one day be part of a great team where a majority or all of the girls reach there dreams and are remember and talked about for a long time  Just curious if there is something or somebody that really made this happen so maybe it can happen again around this area. Thanks

[quote name="(13)" post="927322" timestamp="1291611764"]
[quote author=GCM Fan link=topic=77076.msg927224#msg927224 date=1291602635]
Very well put .
[/quote]

Really?

[/quote]
Try reading it alittle slower and backwards, that might help.  ;)

[quote name="maddog" post="926805" timestamp="1291577476"]
It seems like yesterday that Taylor moved from Baseball with the boys to Girls "Blast" Select Softball. It was not just about the game, it is really growth as human beings and the talent that comes with that also. I remember that 10 and under team like it was yesterday ! 11 players and 8 of them are now playing College ball ! WOW- How time flys by, all the coaching, parents and trips, all bring good memories. My daughter was never the greatest but always seemed to enjoy herself, OH there was the occasional crying of disappointment. But as a whole, I think this has been some of the best times of our life !! I would encourage- Next Time you hear a Kid set their dreams on going to A&M or Texas join with the kids in their dreams, because you never know what life will deal you or them. I am very happy to go watch my daughter play at college, but I am thinking that things will never again be the same as they were when she was a kid because she growing into a real adult !! I sometimes think about the other three kids on that orignal Blast team what made the difference was it me ? or a parent that turned them away and crushed some childs dream.

#1 rule - I would encourage all parents to think - before blurting out some crude or viscious comment that could possible hurt a childs feelings ! Take time to talk to the Coach or other parents after the game or after practice in PRIVATE where young tender ears can not hear!! You know at times we (Parents) are the ones that don't act our ages. 

Enjoy the times you have with your children, time is really - very short from a child to an adult !!
[/quote]I knew that it was time to move my daughter on to a select team with other girls that loved the game as much as she did around the age of ten also.We were lucky to join teams with good coaches and good parents,we all seemed to get along with one another.I can not remember of many problems on the teams,not that I heard about anyway.I really consider myself lucky to have met so many good people all these years!I really am dreading Kelsey going on to College next year!Only because I know that things will never be the same.Do not misunderstand,I am happy that she has been blessed to go on to futher her education.And also getting to play softball while getting that education has been a life long dream of hers.What you said about time flying by...you better believe that one!

[quote name="(13)" post="927322" timestamp="1291611764"]
Very well put .
[/quote]

Really?

[/quote]

I think maybe the point was to encourage your kids with their dreams, display your behavior as an adult, but most importantly, ENJOY your kids in whatever it is that they do, college bound or not for Life gets away from us all!

[quote name="Pluto" post="929219" timestamp="1291909294"]
[quote author=(13) link=topic=77076.msg927322#msg927322 date=1291611764]
Very well put .
[/quote]

Really?

[/quote]

I think maybe the point was to encourage your kids with their dreams, display your behavior as an adult, but most importantly, ENJOY your kids in whatever it is that they do, college bound or not for Life gets away from us all!
[/quote]Very well put!

[quote name="maddog" post="929430" timestamp="1291926600"]
Pluto - You have the essence of the message to a TEE !!

[/quote]

Maddog,

My knowledge of the message comes from many years of hard "lessons learned" with 3 grown kids and then to have been fortunate enough to have a late child and get a second chance with what it's really all about.....simply enjoying your kids.  period.

It is my experience that it really does not matter how talented anybody's child is, (or how talented we "think" they are) being good and playing at a higher level absolutely has to be intrinsic.  It doesn't matter how much money we spend on lessons, camps, bats, gloves, select teams and tournaments...if they don't want it themselves, they are not going to do it.  One must simply support them and enjoy watching them while they're doing it, otherwise you miss out on the best part.  Out of my three, one went on to keep playing, one is working construction (and doing very well for himself) and the other is a stay at home mom.  It seems like yesterday that I was driving the golden triangle dropping off, picking up and sitting at all night softball/baseball tournaments.  Today, they're doing their own thing and you want them to have fond memories of it....not memories of being badgered, nagged and forced to do something that their parents wanted more than they did.  When they enter the "real" world, I don't think anybody who interviews them will ever ask, "Oh, Mr. So and So did you play college ball?"  I believe the real criteria is the transcript.

ENJOY your kids people....Life is just too short for pettiness.

[quote name="Pluto" post="932337" timestamp="1292252909"]
[quote author=maddog link=topic=77076.msg929430#msg929430 date=1291926600]
Pluto - You have the essence of the message to a TEE !!

[/quote]

Maddog,

My knowledge of the message comes from many years of hard "lessons learned" with 3 grown kids and then to have been fortunate enough to have a late child and get a second chance with what it's really all about.....simply enjoying your kids.  period.

It is my experience that it really does not matter how talented anybody's child is, (or how talented we "think" they are) being good and playing at a higher level absolutely has to be intrinsic.  It doesn't matter how much money we spend on lessons, camps, bats, gloves, select teams and tournaments...if they don't want it themselves, they are not going to do it.  One must simply support them and enjoy watching them while they're doing it, otherwise you miss out on the best part.  Out of my three, one went on to keep playing, one is working construction (and doing very well for himself) and the other is a stay at home mom.   It seems like yesterday that I was driving the golden triangle dropping off, picking up and sitting at all night softball/baseball tournaments.  Today, they're doing their own thing and you want them to have fond memories of it....not memories of being badgered, nagged and forced to do something that their parents wanted more than they did.  When they enter the "real" world, I don't think anybody who interviews them will ever ask, "Oh, Mr. So and So did you play college ball?"  I believe the real criteria is the transcript.

ENJOY your kids people....Life is just too short for pettiness.

[/quote]AMEN!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder