Purely Objective, Crosby vs. Dayton

Looking at this game from a purely objective viewpoint it looks like the outcome will be decided by defense. Not to be one who believes in the A beat B and C lost to B, so A will beat C kind of analogies, I do believe how teams do against common opponents, in other words, more than just a one-game comparison, is quite relevant to how they might fare against each other.

With that in mind, the two schools have four common district opponents, Baytown Lee, Galena Park, Goose Creek Memorial and North Forest. Crosby gave up 122 points to those four teams (27, 42, 41, 12) while Dayton, with two shutouts, gave up 29 (0, 22, 7, 0).

What "seems" apparant is that Crosby chooses to focus on offense with an attitude of outscoring opponents whereas Dayton tends to be successful on both sides of the ball. Not following Crosby as closely as I do Dayton (after all I am the pressbox announcer for the Broncos) I don't know if Crosby has had injuries through the defense or not. However, it would appear by the scoring in their games that they rather tend to outscore opponents rather than hold them down.

With the success of the Bronco defense this year against some very good competition, I really believe that focusing your efforts on just one side of the ball is not the best strategy when playing Dayton. For these reasons and these reasons only I believe Dayton wins. I'll go further and say that if Dayton gets up on Crosby quickly and they begin to doubt themselves, it could get ugly as far as the scoring goes.

The reason I began a new thread instead of putting this on the prediction thread is in hopes responses would be objective and without the puffing and boasting for creating not much more than hollow, empty comments.

So, what do you really think out there?

Somehow I don't think you are able to give a "purely objective" assesment. It was a good attempt though and I think everyone sees those same points. What isn't in the stats is the intangable element.

[b]Crosby: [/b]
1. They want the District Title and will play hard for it.
2. Will play better than they have all year on Friday night.
3. Wants to prove last year wasn't a fluke.
4. Crosby doesn't like Dayton

[b]Dayton:[/b]
1. Wants their Title back.
3. Have been waiting a whole year to prove it was a fluke.
4. Dayton doesn't like Crosby

[quote name="bronco1" post="887974" timestamp="1288104392"]
Somehow I don't think you are able to give a "purely objective" assesment. It was a good attempt though and I think everyone sees those same points. What isn't in the stats is the intangable element.

[b]Crosby: [/b]
1. They want the District Title and will play hard for it.
3. Wants to prove last year wasn't a fluke.

[b]Dayton:[/b]
1. Wants their Title back.
3. Have been waiting a whole year to prove it was a fluke.
[/quote]

good post.

I could never begin to be objective about this one.... so I won't even try.

Very astute observation--must be an accountant because you are looking at the facts. The only difference will be if variables are thrown into the equation. The variable are things like emotion, weather conditions, recent injuries, and coaching blunders.

[quote name="coach bear" post="888645" timestamp="1288179560"]
Very astute observation--must be an accountant because you are looking at the facts. The only difference will be if variables are thrown into the equation. The variable are things like emotion, weather conditions, recent injuries, and coaching blunders.
[/quote]

Well, emotion will be high on both sides. The weather is supposed to be near perfect - clear skies and about 68-70 degrees at kickoff. Dayton is at 95% on the injury situation - couldn't tell you about Crosby.

Coaching Blunders? Wow! That's a trap. Covering the Broncos for the magazine, I know they are totally prepared for this game. They have plans and have instituted them into the first two practices of the week. Today is Wednesday so they'll fine-tune the hay and put it in the barn. Honestly (and I'm strickly going on the comparison between the two teams' defenses), IF Crosby hasn't concentrated more to fix their defense for this game then the blunder may have already happened.

FACT: Dayton is going to play defense. Coach Stewart brought that mindset to Dayton in 1996 and is still true to the formula - "offense sells tickets, but defenses win championships." If you bring a team against Dayton that is not sound defensively, then the game is already one-sided before it begins. IMO

As a Crosby supporter, Crosby will have to play their best game of the year to even keep it close. Their defense shows signs that they can hang, at times. The CEK game in the first half they couldn't stop anyone. Second half they completely shut CEK down. Almost looked like last years swarming defense, but that's the only time I've seen it the entire year. I know this is compairing apples to oranges. I really don't know what to expect, but if I was a betting man........

I guarantee Crosby will be trying to strip the ball every play.  That's their only shot, turnovers.  Dayton controls on defense and keeps the fumblitis under control they shouldn't have a problem.  Merka will have his shiny points because he's a stud but one man can't beat a TEAM.  Dayton rolls in this one.

[quote name="7mary3" post="888773" timestamp="1288193299"]
I guarantee Crosby will be trying to strip the ball every play.  That's their only shot, turnovers.  Dayton controls on defense and keeps the fumblitis under control they shouldn't have a problem.  Merka will have his shiny points because he's a stud but one man can't beat a TEAM.  Dayton rolls in this one.
[/quote]
I agree turnovers will be crucial

Good Forum George.

Objectively speaking. DAYTON is dangerous.
Yalls defense has been very good, and Crosby's defense is INCONSISTENT, not bad some games you'd say Crosby has a great defense, others you'd question what the kids are doing.

Objectively, what happens if Dayton has trouble running the ball? are they going to throw that bubble screen 10+ times?

Injuries wise the COUGS should be ready to go, however if they don't want to tackle like the GCM game or don't show up in second half PNG/Montgomery.

However the Defense isn't great and as someone who understands football pretty well im sure 8 men will be in or around the box all night. From what i've heard Dayton really doesn't run a PA pass very often that could hurt the cougs this weekend.

Offensively i think the cougs will score 28-35 pts, just because they will have the ball and if they get up early it may be a very fast game.

Im sure the cougs get a lead it'll be run run run run. once they pass the 50 it'll be 4 down country with the occasional seem route to keep the linebacker honest.

GCM game i honestly believe was an oversight, the cougs seem to think they can just turn the gears on and off instead of playing a full game, i don't think its gonna be a problem anymore as the quality of opponents is going to be rather good BH/DAYTON/PLAYOFFS

to 7 Mary thats how the cougs play every game period, thats how they are taught to tackle stand up and strip, the Broncos better have stickem ready for this game (not really as its illegal)

as per not wanting to be merka, perhaps but i wouldn't want to be a dayton linebacker either, as their will be some crazy collisions this game, Merka's been known to hit a linebacker and make the linebacker fall down, sorry to say it but 6'5 4.5 speed and 225 pounds can generate a lot of force.

So in conclusion

I think Defense vs offense is a better question than comparing defenses, last year DAYTON  had a much better defense than crosby did and i'd argue a better one than they have this year, however the matchupo between bruising running/and a good defense but not a BIG defense is an interesting dynamic, also if the Broncos can't throw the ball consistently then they might be in trouble offensively.

I DONT SEE dayton putting 50 on the board, i see this game ending in the 28-35 pt range and then if the cougs can stay with the broncos is should be a good game.

[quote name="liltex" post="889304" timestamp="1288232372"]
I want to see Merka running over Rip.I think a +70% compl.ratio trumps 40%  ::) ;D
[/quote]

I Agree but Crosby's passing game is 15+ yards a play most the time., we may not be consistent but when we hit it its normally for 30.

I agree Good post Cougtalk, I don't like you but good post. I thought you might be OK, but no. Anyway good post.

I think one of the things being over looked is the fact that a young secondary has had a chance to grow and learn on some pretty good competition, mostly pre-district. Galena Park didn't prove to be the juggernaut everyone thought, Crosby, Dayton, and BH proved that. Merka is an outstanding athlete and has been consistant for 3 years. He impressed me as a sophomore in 08', I think a major factor will be the strength and conditioning of Crosby's O-line, to hold Dayton's D-Line it will require all 5 lineman plus, to give Merka time. It will be interesting to see how all this works out Friday night. This is where the rubber meets the road for both teams, a year of celebrating or a year in shame lays in wait.

Really believe the key to this game is our receivers..We can not have 7-10 drops every game and then depend on QB to run every play against Daytons D..Dayton will score plenty points vs our D,but if we can some how catch the ball this will really open it up for the QB to run..Still believe this will be a high scoring game....

[quote name="bigdaddyblue" post="889495" timestamp="1288274101"]
Really believe the key to this game is our receivers..We can not have 7-10 drops every game and then depend on QB to run every play against Daytons D..Dayton will score plenty points vs our D,but if we can some how catch the ball this will really open it up for the QB to run..Still believe this will be a high scoring game....
[/quote]

Makes for an interesting match-up, can't wait.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed