Port Arthur Memorial

sfa87

[quote name="LULUJUJU" post="888780" timestamp="1288193837"]
I graduated with KH...Im not saying its all his fault........It just baffles me at the play calling and the decisions that all of the coaches their make......But what really baffles me is with all the talent PAM has WHY can they NEVER step it up........Please explain......As i truly believe the talent on this years team is equal to and or may even surpass any of the port arthur schools team in the three decades.....You cant compare any of this with Jamaals team.......That was a one man show and he carried that entire team..Please explain to me what you think the problem is!  And by the way you are speaking to a TRUE diehard Port Arthur Fan!!!  Its just disgusting to watch after those two games.......Do you believe its the coaching or what are your reasonings.......Cause in my opinion we have just as much talent on that team than ANY or most team in the state....
[/quote]
I agree as much as I hate to :D PAM should be making better showings even at the 5A level. Todd Dodge is available.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again Todd Dodge will NEVER come to Port Arthur........Even if they had the funds to pay him (which they might) cause PAISD is known for spending alot of money....He was asked that question by a personal friend of mine and his response was "I could never coach there cause of the ATITUDES" 

This is Harrison's second year as the HC. In these two years our program has grown by leaps and bounds, from the middle schools now running the spread and understanding the system, to the ninth and jv teams winning consistantly. If anyone  thinks two years is long enough to turn around a program and a losing mentality ur way off.

[quote name="LULUJUJU" post="888790" timestamp="1288195204"]
Once again Todd Dodge will NEVER come to Port Arthur........Even if they had the funds to pay him (which they might) cause PAISD is known for spending alot of money....He was asked that question by a personal friend of mine and his response was "I could never coach there cause of the ATITUDES" 
[/quote]That's right these are a different bread of  student atheletes. You have to be strong to take a job  like this. It's more than just football that a coach has to do when coming to PA, we have LIFE issues to deal with. He couldn't handle it.

I said 2.3 years because he came in the Early Spring (before basketball season ended) and had enough time to initiate his game plane.  I should have said this is his second team to coach and the year is not over... A strong playoff run is STILL a possibility.  The biggest and only coaching issue I have seen with Coach Harrison all year is the fact that he falls in love with the pass and abandons the running game at times. That is something he can correct over time.  

He made halftime adjustments against NS and almost won the game.  But I guess that doesnt count??? They could not move the ball in the first half and came out with a different game plan and attitude after the half and almost won it!  

Brook could have had much better games against NS and Katy if it wasnt for the plethera of penalties to start the games!!! Katy and NS took advantage of them PAM did not.  Honestly what i saw from PAM players was a belief that the game was won because of the Brook blowout by NS.

What Kenny has done:
Put Memorial in the playoffs
Built a family mentality the players (east & west side)
Built a positive demeanor
Put athletes in a position to best expose their talent.
These are the Best defense Memorial has ever had
Incorporated the pass into a traditionally running school while still putting up BIG rushing #’s
BEAT NS
Gotten better from year 1 to 2

[quote name="The GOAT" post="888838" timestamp="1288198425"]
[quote author=LULUJUJU link=topic=75015.msg888790#msg888790 date=1288195204]
[/quote]That's right these are a different bread of  student atheletes. You have to be strong to take a job  like this. It's more than just football that a coach has to do when coming to PA, we have LIFE issues to deal with. He couldn't handle it.
[/quote]

Coach Harrison is WWWWAAAAYYY better than that than Dodge would EVER be!!!  Go to a basketball game and you will see all the football players sitting together cheering.  That is Kenny.... Before him, the team was always at odds.  He relates to the players!!!!

[quote name="ABSENT!" post="888844" timestamp="1288198657"]
I said 2.3 years because he came in the Early Spring (before basketball season ended) and had enough time to initiate his game plane.  I should have said this is his second team to coach and the year is not over... A strong playoff run is STILL a possibility.  The biggest and only coaching issue I have seen with Coach Harrison all year is the fact that he falls in love with the pass and abandons the running game at times. That is something he can correct over time.  

He made halftime adjustments against NS and almost won the game.  But I guess that doesnt count??? They could not move the ball in the first half and came out with a different game plan and attitude after the half and almost won it!  

Brook could have had much better games against NS and Katy if it wasnt for the plethera of penalties to start the games!!! Katy and NS took advantage of them PAM did not. [b] Honestly what i saw from PAM players was a belief that the game was won because of the Brook blowout by NS.[/b]
What Kenny has done:
Put Memorial in the playoffs
Built a family mentality the players (east & west side)
Built a positive demeanor
Put athletes in a position to best expose their talent.
These are the Best defense Memorial has ever had
Incorporated the pass into a traditionally running school while still putting up BIG rushing #’s
BEAT NS
Gotten better from year 1 to 2

[/quote]Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You hit the nail on the head. That's what i saw.

[quote name="LULUJUJU" post="888780" timestamp="1288193837"]
I graduated with KH...Im not saying its all his fault........It just baffles me at the play calling and the decisions that all of the coaches their make [glow=red,2,300]who is ALL?[/glow] ......But what really baffles me is with all the talent PAM has WHY can they NEVER step it up [glow=red,2,300]The last two decades of SFA, Lincoln, & TJ were never GREAT! And PA was a basketball town!! I guess that is on Coach Harrison?........[/glow]Please explain......As i truly believe the talent on this years team is equal to and or may even surpass any of the port arthur schools team in the three decades [glow=red,2,300]That is my point you equal three teams that that over the course of the 90's did not make any noise in football! Decent runs in lower divisions, but 5A is another animal!!! Ask the mid 80's and 90's TJ teams[/glow]......You cant compare any of this with Jamaals team.......That was a one man show and he carried that entire team[glow=red,2,300]..(do you see a pro on this team???) [/glow] Please explain to me what you think the problem is!  [glow=red,2,300]second year is the only problem!!!, and STATE in 5Ais a REAL challenge  [/glow] And by the way you are speaking to a TRUE diehard Port Arthur Fan!!!  Its just disgusting to watch after those two games.......Do you believe its the coaching or what are your reasonings [glow=red,2,300]he is still building his program[/glow].......Cause in my opinion we have just as much talent on that team than ANY or most team in the state....
[/quote]

Let's look at the real truth here.  Over the last 15 years the majority the 5A State Championship teams have come from moderate to high income areas of the State, with very large schools, and 50% or more of the student body did not come from a Ghetto!!!  The only school that come close to PA's socio-econmical, violence, and drop out status is Northshore and it is not even close to the distress in PA.  Fact is these areas are breeding gounds for talent, but the are also breeding grounds for failure!!!  You deal with so much more than football in these areas.  And it is a direct effect on performance on the field.

ABSENT.......  You hit the nail on the head with that one......That is the exact truth.......Another factor is that in these GHETTO'S are SOOOOOOOOOOO  many naturally talented kids that don't even choose to play sports and are out there hustling to help their families!!!  I know of a kid personally that would be a D1 basketball player that no one in the district can even come close to his natural abilities....But he chooses to play ball on the streets where he can hustle and keep food in his families fridge.......Sad situation!!

[quote name="LULUJUJU" post="888883" timestamp="1288201634"]
ABSENT.......  You hit the nail on the head with that one......That is the exact truth.......Another factor is that in these GHETTO'S are SOOOOOOOOOOO  many naturally talented kids that don't even choose to play sports and are out there hustling to help their families!!!  I know of a kid personally that would be a D1 basketball player that no one in the district can even come close to his natural abilities....But he chooses to play ball on the streets where he can hustle and keep food in his families fridge.......Sad situation!!
[/quote]

Real talk... And not just the ones that do it for the family... Their are some that are just a victim to thier surroundings.  All they see is hustle so all they do is hustle!!! They are followers and foolish!!!!  They are exposed to so much at a young age that school and football are far from what truly consumes them!

Finally some people who really knows what's going on (ABSENT,LU,GOAT)!  Coaching MHS is more than football.  I'm so sick of the bleacher coaches giving their expertise about what Coach H should have done?  None of you would last more than a week in his position.  And as far as the Titan fans, the ones that leave when the game isn't going their way, do me a favor and stay HOME!  This way when you turn the radio off or stopping watching the game via internet, the kids can't see what kind of fans they truly have.

And all these coaches that you all would love to come here, they'll come but I guarantee they won't live anywhere near PA city limits!

I guess Hebert, French, Lincoln, Dallas Carter, Jack Yates, LaMarque, and so on didn't have to worry about ghetto life and other issues besides football? Get real and quit making excuses. Dodge, although a white guy could coach PAM. It probably wouldn't happen, but I'm sure you could get a good quality coach, father figure, whatever excuse your coming up with to coach PAM to be a dominating force in 5A. The talent is there don't give me the other mess. Before you say anything, I grew up in New Orleans and finished school in Beaumont. Now I reside in Port Neches. Give me results not excuses.

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="888920" timestamp="1288203950"]
I guess Hebert, French, Lincoln, Dallas Carter, Jack Yates, LaMarque, and so on didn't have to worry about ghetto life and other issues besides football? Get real and quit making excuses. Dodge, although a white guy could coach PAM. It probably wouldn't happen, but I'm sure you could get a good quality coach, father figure, whatever excuse your coming up with to coach PAM to be a dominating force in 5A. The talent is there don't give me the other mess. Before you say anything, I grew up in New Orleans and finished school in Beaumont. Now I reside in Port Neches. Give me results not excuses.
[/quote]

Not making excuses, but give the man time to build a program.  I would'nt call 2 seasons, and really one cause this one isn't over to do this!  PA people are quick to throw someone under the bus and not know what's really going, don't try to find out, and definitely not going to take the time to try and help fix the problems and I'm not just talking about football!

Notice I purposely said the last 15 years... And thanks for the LaMarque which is closer to PA but no cigar! I also said 5A where they have the Mega schools.  Recent Jack Yates and Dallas carter is pretty pathetic too, and the historical black schools pre integration were a different animal!! These kids wont respond to Dodge, not because he is white but because he does not resemble any thing they know.  

White guy with an issue (yaeh I am talking to you), back off, no one making excuses... just telling the truth...  It wasn't about race it was about socio-economic conditions...  It is statistically proven that those schools struggle in all categories.  Its not a black/white issue...   That is why I did not call it that!!!!  This new white movement of desensitizing Black issues is so funny... Remove your chip off your shoulder, you have no reason to have one!!! This was not a Black/White thing, but I guess you could make it one with the socio-economic distressed population in PA!!!!

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="888920" timestamp="1288203950"]
[/quote]

you named some old schools so I guess you graduated from BMT pre- 1985...  At the Time Beaumont was near 50-50 if not majority White.  There were 2 majority white high schools and two majority black high schools.  So you get no street cred from me...  White flight has changed the demographic in BMT Greatly.  EWvne in the last 15 year BISD has went from 40 % white to less that 20% white.

[quote name="ABSENT!" post="888947" timestamp="1288206323"]
[quote author=Scalp'em link=topic=75015.msg888920#msg888920 date=1288203950]
[/quote]

you named some old schools so I guess you graduated from BMT pre- 1985...  At the Time Beaumont was near 50-50 if not majority White.  There were 2 majority white high schools and two majority black high schools.  So you get no street cred from me...  White flight has changed the demographic in BMT Greatly.  EWvne in the last 15 year BISD has went from 40 % white to less that 20% white.
[/quote]

I graduated in 92 from Beaumont. No chip on my shoulder at all. I think I can discuss what I want to on here within the rules. I'm just saying quit using excuses why a HS football team is underachieving. Not looking for street cred from you, I handle my own I promise you. BTW, every school district has issues whether white or black and HS kids all over have to work jobs while playing football. It's not just Port Arthur. Your getting upset because someone doesn't agree with you? BTW, PAM is far from being a mega HS with only 2200 to 2400 students.

hey scalp em, I know you are a moderator so Im gonna keep this toned down.........First of all Im not black!!!!!!! Second of all this has nothing to do with race whatsoever...Its not a black and white issue period....I simply stated that there are alot of kids that choose not to participate in sports due to their lifestyle and or conditions and most of them would be excellent athletes....Yes the kids Im talking about are primarily black....You make the comment to give you results and not excuses and you live in Port Neches.....Well guess what, I reside in Port Neches also where you have no GHETTO's and/or the kind of things that go on in a kids life in Port Arthur....With that said and everything on the up and up in your little town of PN then give me the reason why YOU AND PN have never shown RESULTS!!!!!!!!!

you can disagree, but use recent examples.  PA led the nation in violent crimes for a city population under 75,000.  It is also top 5 on a percentage basis.  The crime is a problem, black or white.  Those kids live in it.  Trust me it is something to deal with when your parents are crack heads, drug dealers, inmates, and criminals.  Not the childs fault but it is alot to deal with.  much easier to find 5 kids in that city to play basketbal than 30 to play football.  I see it, lived it, and it is a real animal!!!

[quote name="LULUJUJU" post="888962" timestamp="1288207096"]
hey scalp em, I know you are a moderator so Im gonna keep this toned down.........First of all Im not black!!!!!!! Second of all this has nothing to do with race whatsoever...Its not a black and white issue period....I simply stated that there are alot of kids that choose not to participate in sports due to their lifestyle and or conditions and most of them would be excellent athletes....Yes the kids Im talking about are primarily black....You make the comment to give you results and not excuses and you live in Port Neches.....Well guess what, I reside in Port Neches also where you have no GHETTO's and/or the kind of things that go on in a kids life in Port Arthur....With that said and everything on the up and up in your little town of PN then give me the reason why YOU AND PN have never shown RESULTS!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]
Never shown results? Really? 3 state champioships, numerous district championships in almost every sport. Your just trying to start a pointless argument. I don't care who's white or black, I said show results and not excuses of why a program isn't living up to the hype. PA don't have real ghettos either BTW.

[quote name="ABSENT!" post="888964" timestamp="1288207274"]
you can disagree, but use recent examples.  PA led the nation in violent crimes for a city population under 75,000.  It is also top 5 on a percentage basis.  The crime is a problem, black or white.  Those kids live in it.  Trust me it is something to deal with when your parents are crack heads, drug dealers, inmates, and criminals.  Not the childs fault but it is alot to deal with.  much easier to find 5 kids in that city to play basketbal than 30 to play football.  I see it, lived it, and it is a real animal!!!
[/quote]
I understand some of your points and this discussion has no racial issues with me. People on here get amped up when you talk about race that it's ridiculous. As men and women on this blog should be able to discuss issues and opinions without degrading anyone. Believe me I've seen and lived in ghettos. I will leave the thread along since some people are taking issues the wrong way. Good luck to coach Harrison and PAm. This is not worth getting into an ugly argument over.

[quote name="trutitanfan" post="888894" timestamp="1288202154"]
Finally some people who really knows what's going on (ABSENT,LU,GOAT)!  Coaching MHS is more than football.  I'm so sick of the bleacher coaches giving their expertise about what Coach H should have done?  None of you would last more than a week in his position.  And as far as the Titan fans, the ones that leave when the game isn't going their way, do me a favor and stay HOME!  This way when you turn the radio off or stopping watching the game via internet, the kids can't see what kind of fans they truly have.

And all these coaches that you all would love to come here, they'll come but I guarantee they won't live anywhere near PA city limits!
[/quote]

I may not have any statistics for football to back my statement, but I do work with these kids and coaches and I can tell you, KH (and his coaching staff)expect a lot from his players. It is WAYYYYYYYY more than just football.  There are many times I wish a kid did play sports so they would have the support they need and motivation to meet expectations. 

And it takes awhile to build a program...change doesn't happen overnight. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami