Can someone explain a rule from STJFL website?

PNG1977

I'm curious if I'm reading this right...I could be wrong, but doesn't this statement from STJFL say that if a player goes over the weight limit in their age division they can move up with no position restrictions, but still have to make the overall weight requirement to still be able to play in that division?

[b]If a player exceeds weight in their division, they may move up to the
next division with no position restrictions, until they meet the age
requirement for that division.  Any player moving up to any division
must meet the overall weight requirement for that division.[/b]

Bbmom, it is kind of misleading. A kid can move up 1 division due to weight and can play any position until his age catches up and he is age appropriate then he must play according to weight.
  For example, an 8 year old who weighs 130 has to move up to juniors because peewee cut off is 125. He will play with no position restriction, he could be a runningback in this instance. The next year he is now 9 and still weighs 130. Now he is age appropriate for juniors and now by rule has to be LO.   
  Hope this helps. Oh, also according to the rules on the website, no kid can play in a division if he is over the maximum weight for that division. Example, according to the rules on the website a 10 year old who weighs 170 couldn't move up and play seniors because he is over their maximum weight rule of 160. Like I said, hope this helps.

There have been sevaral changes in the past few years and sometimes the reference sections of the website don't clarify the rules enough. It does seem misleading so that section of weight has been  updated directly from the by-laws.

[color=maroon]If a player exceeds weight in their division, they may move up to the next division. If they exceed the maximum running back weight the will be restricted to a down lineman position tackle to tackle on offense, between the tackles on defense, and line of scrimmage kick off receive only. They are not allowed to play one yard off of the center as a defensive lineman. If they are going to play on the center, they must line up in either gap.[/color]

Thank you VPATH, you said just what I was thinking in the last part of your post.  There is a team in Senior that I believe has kids way over the 160 lbs, and I'm concerned that some kids may get hurt pretty bad out there!  I don't really know what to do from here to have it addressed, but I really appreciate you confirming what I was thinking. :-\

[quote name="bbmom77" post="849087" timestamp="1284730759"]
Thank you VPATH, you said just what I was thinking in the last part of your post.  There is a team in Senior that I believe has kids way over the 160 lbs, and I'm concerned that some kids may get hurt pretty bad out there!  I don't really know what to do from here to have it addressed, but I really appreciate you confirming what I was thinking. :-\
[/quote]

There is contact information on the same website you got the rules from. Contact them.

Bbmom, just for clarification, the rule we were talking about yesterday was an old rule and had not been updated for this year. Changes were made to the by-laws and what they say is that a junior kid may play up in seniors if he is over the maximum weight for juniors but must still abide by the weight rules for runningbacks in seniors. This kid has an unlimited  max weight in seniors as long as he playing up but must be weight eligible to be a runningback. Otherwise, he is  LO.
  Hippy is correct, the STJFL board has contact info on the website. They can explain it better than I if you still have questions.

I have heard "concerns" about a few of the kids on our team from other parents / coaches on the opposing team and the only thing I told them was each and every one of our kids went through the certification process and received "the okay" to play.  Which tells me they all met the age and weight requirements to play Senior for WOS.  The STJFL website is an excellent one to get on and you can find contact information on there as to who to address questions and/or concerns with.

Good luck everyone! 

Queen (aka: Loud Mouth!  :D)
Mom to WOS Lil Mustang #79

Teamraider, I do see that it's been changed to reflect the new rules.  Since it wasn't updated at the time I was looking at it, I was VERY confused!  The way it was worded was definitely confusing!  I appreciate everyone helping me understand the information I was questioning.  Thanks again!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder