Guest GCMPats

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="842920" timestamp="1284123892"]
[quote author=Hawkeye link=topic=72708.msg842911#msg842911 date=1284123380]
Manvel has been tough for a couple of years now. Sounds like they've really put it together this year. Hope they go Div. 1. ;D
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure they'll be D2.
[/quote]
Yea, I looked it up after I posted and I think you're right. Unless something really weird happens in 24-4A. My guess is FW & Dawson div. 1. Manvel & whoever steps up div.2. I'll go with Manvel as distict champs.

[quote name="panamamyers" post="842922" timestamp="1284124093"]
If you go and look at the stats from the Manvel-FB Austin game....I think this is more a matter of GCM just not getting it done right now.

Manvel won that game against Austin, but just looking at it, they didn't look too good on paper.
[/quote]

I would have to agree with GCM just not getting it done. Team was flat from the get-go and Manvel just took'em to the wood shed.

Manvel has a big, athletic QB. He reminds me of Lazard from Dawson with the exception that he is a better passer than Lazard. The running game was above par, but nothing that just jumped out at ya.

The GCM offense is struggling so much that it's really hard to get a read on how good Manvel's defense really is. A shut out is a shut out though.

Oh well, it is what it is. Time to either fish or cut bait in 19-4A.

I would like to see GCM abandon this pistol formation and go to a more spread type offense. This allows a second or more time for the QB to throw the ball and not have to do the short two or three step side roll out. It still allows a zone read on the run and you can even have a two back set. The defense it just crashing the QB and RB very play and there is really not a passing game that the defense needs to defend. The receivers do not run any crossing patterns that I can see. It is almost all vertical routes where they all run 8 to 15 yards down field and turn around like a curl. They will run some short out routes but nothing over the middle. I would love to defend this. I know that the line is also struggling but I am hoping they can work with what they have in some way to generate an offense. There are a few athletes at receiver that could help get into some open space if allowed to run. I think the QB can get them the ball saving a little time.

I am not the coach so it is just an opinion. These kids need to be challenged and motivated and encouraged that quiting is not an option. There is really no Senior leadership that you would expect someone to step up. The coach can encourage someone with this ability to step up and motivate this team as they are dead. Get excited to play the game and have fun.

[quote name="cbear4" post="842977" timestamp="1284131881"]
I would like to see GCM abandon this pistol formation and go to a more spread type offense. This allows a second or more time for the QB to throw the ball and not have to do the short two or three step side roll out. It still allows a zone read on the run and you can even have a two back set. The defense it just crashing the QB and RB very play and there is really not a passing game that the defense needs to defend. The receivers do not run any crossing patterns that I can see. It is almost all vertical routes where they all run 8 to 15 yards down field and turn around like a curl. They will run some short out routes but nothing over the middle. I would love to defend this. I know that the line is also struggling but I am hoping they can work with what they have in some way to generate an offense. There are a few athletes at receiver that could help get into some open space if allowed to run. I think the QB can get them the ball saving a little time.

I am not the coach so it is just an opinion. These kids need to be challenged and motivated and encouraged that quiting is not an option. There is really no Senior leadership that you would expect someone to step up. The coach can encourage someone with this ability to step up and motivate this team as they are dead. Get excited to play the game and have fun.
[/quote]

I thought they might.

http://baytownsun.com/sports/article_2db35937-e447-521c-9f65-c6be547a8168.html

[quote name="GCMPats" post="842981" timestamp="1284132317"]
[quote author=cbear4 link=topic=72708.msg842977#msg842977 date=1284131881]

[/quote]

I thought they might.

[/quote]
I don't know, maybe I'm reading more into it than I should, but I got the distinct impression from this article that the coach isn't exuding a lot of confidence himself.

[quote name="panamamyers" post="842922" timestamp="1284124093"]
If you go and look at the stats from the Manvel-FB Austin game....I think this is more a matter of GCM just not getting it done right now.

Manvel won that game against Austin, but just looking at it, they didn't look too good on paper.
[/quote]

What ever - keep thinking that!!

[quote name="Hawkeye" post="842927" timestamp="1284124826"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=72708.msg842920#msg842920 date=1284123892]
Manvel has been tough for a couple of years now. Sounds like they've really put it together this year. Hope they go Div. 1. ;D
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yea, I looked it up after I posted and I think you're right. Unless something really weird happens in 24-4A. My guess is FW & Dawson div. 1. Manvel & whoever steps up div.2. I'll go with Manvel as distict champs.
[/quote]

It will be a dogfight for these 4 slots. FW defense is reeling and we have lots of injuries. Order - Manvel, Lamarque, Dawson, FW, Ball, Santa Fe, Texas City

[quote name="fwstangs" post="843030" timestamp="1284136987"]
[quote author=Hawkeye link=topic=72708.msg842927#msg842927 date=1284124826]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

It will be a dogfight for these 4 slots. FW defense is reeling and we have lots of injuries. Order - Manvel, Lamarque, Dawson, FW, Ball, Santa Fe, Texas City
[/quote]

I think Lamarque and Ball is going to make some real noise. Did ball go back to the flexbone yet.

[quote name="jabu84" post="843034" timestamp="1284137178"]
[quote author=fwstangs link=topic=72708.msg843030#msg843030 date=1284136987]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think Lamarque and Ball is going to make some real noise. Did ball go back to the flexbone yet.
[/quote]

Do not know. Ball is supposed be good, but have not seen it yet. LaMarque looks good and Wright has grown up!!

[quote name="fwstangs" post="843037" timestamp="1284137267"]
[quote author=jabu84 link=topic=72708.msg843034#msg843034 date=1284137178]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Do not know. Ball is supposed be good, but have not seen it yet. [b]LaMarque looks good and Wright has grown up!![/b]

[/quote]

no doubt... looks bigger on the video I've seen and definitely runs like he knows what he's doing. I guess starting on Varsity since you were a freshman does that for you.

[quote name="fwstangs" post="843030" timestamp="1284136987"]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[b][color=navy]
You are most certainly correct in your observation of how tough things are going to be in 24-4A to say the least! I don't really see Dawson being better than 'da Wood nor do I see Ball ahead of Santa Fe due to the facts that Ball is performing less than expected while Santa Fe has seemingly balanced their offense for pass and run Their achilles heal has been in the past that they have typically relied on running the ball while not being able to match the speed of other 24-4A opponents. I do know this though...everyone in 24-4A is worried about each of their district foes and looking over their shoulders because with a stable of pretty solid teams (4-5) in district there will be no room for mediocre play otherwise, a really solid team will be at home for the playoffs, including LM![/color][/b]

[quote name="fwstangs" post="843028" timestamp="1284136835"]
[quote author=panamamyers link=topic=72708.msg842922#msg842922 date=1284124093]

[/quote]

What ever - keep thinking that!!
[/quote]

Never said Manvel wasn't good, just that they didn't perform that well against FB Austin.

[quote name="raideroldtimer" post="842990" timestamp="1284133480"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=72708.msg842981#msg842981 date=1284132317]

[/quote]

I thought they might.

[/quote]
I don't know, maybe I'm reading more into it than I should, but I got the distinct impression from this article that the coach isn't exuding a lot of confidence himself.
[/quote]

I think there were a lot of questions coming in to this season that they were hoping would get answered by now. I am not going to blame the coaching because it can just make matters worse and there are enough issues with this team. The offense has to know which direction they are going. You do not have a chance if you can line up and run right over the line at will. If it takes taking some D-linemen and moving them over, then do it. We already have some injuries and it could be worse. I would venture to say that the JV line may be bigger than the Varsity line. Move them up and teach them the game as it will not be worse than now. I am not saying the kids are not trying, it is just not working. I think the Soph. QB moved up can play several postions if they elect to not play him at QB the whole game. He looks like he could help out at receiver or slot receiver now. Give them a chance and we should have the Junior QB back for district and from what I saw last night he throws the ball better and  is the better leader on this team after seeing the Sophs have some trouble. The RB postion is fine and even the backup should be on the field somewhere. The best athletes need to be on the field on both sides of the ball. Heck, play the RBs and QBs on both sides, Dayton does it and they are not worried about injuries.

[quote name="cbear4" post="843087" timestamp="1284141212"]
[quote author=raideroldtimer link=topic=72708.msg842990#msg842990 date=1284133480]

[/quote]

I thought they might.

[/quote]
[/quote]

I think there were a lot of questions coming in to this season that they were hoping would get answered by now. I am not going to blame the coaching because it can just make matters worse and there are enough issues with this team. The offense has to know which direction they are going. You do not have a chance if you can line up and run right over the line at will. If it takes taking some D-linemen and moving them over, then do it. We already have some injuries and it could be worse. I would venture to say that the JV line may be bigger than the Varsity line. Move them up and teach them the game as it will not be worse than now. I am not saying the kids are not trying, it is just not working. I think the Soph. QB moved up can play several postions if they elect to not play him at QB the whole game. He looks like he could help out at receiver or slot receiver now. Give them a chance and we should have the Junior QB back for district and from what I saw last night he throws the ball better and  is the better leader on this team after seeing the Sophs have some trouble. The RB postion is fine and even the backup should be on the field somewhere. The best athletes need to be on the field on both sides of the ball. Heck, play the RBs and QBs on both sides, Dayton does it and they are not worried about injuries.

[/quote]
No Dayton does not do it. It has happened in the past...some. But it's not the norm.

[quote name="xLmCoog88" post="843064" timestamp="1284139238"]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[b][color=navy]
You are most certainly correct in your observation of how tough things are going to be in 24-4A to say the least! I don't really see Dawson being better than 'da Wood nor do I see Ball ahead of Santa Fe due to the facts that Ball is performing less than expected while Santa Fe has seemingly balanced their offense for pass and run Their achilles heal has been in the past that they have typically relied on running the ball while not being able to match the speed of other 24-4A opponents. I do know this though...everyone in 24-4A is worried about each of their district foes and looking over their shoulders because with a stable of pretty solid teams (4-5) in district there will be no room for mediocre play otherwise, a really solid team will be at home for the playoffs, including LM![/color][/b]
[/quote]

I know , at first I had Fe ahead of Ball, but it just did not feel right. I am telling you, our D is going to allow teams to beat us!! Will be a very interesting year!! The 4 playoff teams will be good!!

[quote name="fwstangs" post="843182" timestamp="1284148123"]
[quote author=xLmCoog88 link=topic=72708.msg843064#msg843064 date=1284139238]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[b][color=navy]
[/quote]

I know , at first I had Fe ahead of Ball, but it just did not feel right. I am telling you, our D is going to allow teams to beat us!! Will be a very interesting year!! The 4 playoff teams will be good!!
[/quote]

[color=navy][b]You gotta keep one eye on Santa Fe or they will jump up and bite ya if you're not looking. Remember, in years past the Injuns have taken out average Texas City teams in district play 2-3 times before and what I've seen of Ball has been average at best. They cant seem to shake the bonehead plays and be consistent and there is no reason why they shouldn't have put up at least 35 on HISD's Wheatley. Granted Santa Fe has a history of playing powder puff non-district games but in the past few years they are improving vs. district foes. Of course, we don't have a lot of room to talk as far as scheduling goes with having played only Terry, Wheatley and B-Port in the pre-season this year. To make things more interesting in a hurry for us our 1st district opponent is guess who....Manvel![/b][/color]

[quote name="cbear4" post="843087" timestamp="1284141212"]
[quote author=raideroldtimer link=topic=72708.msg842990#msg842990 date=1284133480]

[/quote]

I thought they might.

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

you wont say it but I will they are a poor coached team. QB's cant read, WR cant run a route, RB needs to be more north-south not east- west

This has nothing to do with coaching and everything to do with attitude.
The PRESEASON did not go as planned. SO WHAT! This is not a bad football team. I don't care what the record or the scores indicate.
If people expect ALL the 19-4a teams with 2 or more losses to QUIT now, then we may not have 4 teams in the playoffs.

Rest up! Regroup! Stop pointing fingers! Let the coaching critics stay on the Hill.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="844431" timestamp="1284213489"]
The PRESEASON did not go as planned. SO WHAT! This is not a bad football team. I don't care what the record or the scores indicate.
If people expect ALL the 19-4a teams with 2 or more losses to QUIT now, then we may not have 4 teams in the playoffs.

Rest up! Regroup! Stop pointing fingers! Let the coaching critics stay on the Hill.
[/quote]

Right! Would like some 300# transfers though. Maybe from Manvel.

No doubt we could use some beef. It only gets worse with the loss of our lone offensive starter from last year (#60) for about 5 weeks.
It's up to the ADULTS to teach these young people how to handle adversity. Pointing fingers and placing blame on others is NOT the way.
TGFOW

[quote name="GCMPats" post="844431" timestamp="1284213489"]

[/quote]

everybody can see the problems. The kids are not being taught the basics.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami