Its disrespectful to schedule WO-S as your homecoming game!

Stangs92

This whole thread is boring. Who cares. Friday Night is football night. Not homecoming, not thanksgiving thursday or christmas day football. Friday night is for High School Football.

If I was WO-S I would look at it the exact way they are....

a challenge. Who else has done that? WO-S scheduled HJ. Big deal.

We have played Jasper for homecoming, Lumberton for homecoming, who cares.

Come to town WO-S and enjoy the challenge. Win or lose you will still be WO-S and we will be Silsbee. Both going to the playoffs with experience against top rated teams.

Game On. Kill this thread.

:twisted:

You are soooo right Silsbee 92!! It is as boring as that stomping will be tomorrow night.HJ is in our district! We have to play them!! I would NEVER use a post to stir up a team that on a non-motivated night could whip most teams in this area. I was trying to get some opinions on the subject. I see that some teams play anyone ,and some Do look for an easier opponent. And Mr. airitout123 if it was ignorant i apologize.....you must be from a squad that gets picked for the hc opponent regularly!! Guys thanks for the informative answers and posts. You guys have a good night.

It's more common for teams to choose and lesser opponent for homecoming to make sure it's a win for the occasion, but sometimes teams choose to play one of their better games. It can work for or against you I think. Either festivities distract the team or they play with more enthusiam because of the atmosphere. I know we scheduled a 10th in the state rankings Diboll team for homecoming two years ago and I think our players came out more fired up and beat them in a close one. I definately wouldn't look at it as disrespect. We all know WOS is a very respected team in this area any given year. Like someone else said, who cares? It's Friday Night.

Like I said before. Be it WO-S or someone esle it is Friday Night. It just happens to be our homecoming game, a game that decides the district lead, a packed house, two good football teams (Admittedly one is probably the best in the state), someone call NBC. We got the real Friday Night Lights going on in Silsbee Tomorrow night.....!!!!!

Again, Game On Stangs!!! Bring your best. Both teams deserve nothing less.

Guest GoStangs

It's really hard to say, several months in advance, who will be strong and who will flop. If you don't believe it, check out 22-4A. Besides that, what kind of message would be sent to the team if their coach said, "Well, we can't schedule team such and such because they'd beat us and we want to win a homecoming game," or "We're only scheduling team such and such because we won't have to try that week and we'll still win"? There are only so many home games to schedule for homecoming, and someone has to be that game.

Here's what I know of the theory behind Silsbee homecomings. A few years ago, Silsbee decided to have the best home game on the schedule to be their homecoming. They have had the likes of Jasper, Kirbyville, Nederland and Ozen in recent years as their homecoming opponents. With WOS being this years opponent is just keeping with the same tune. Silsbee by no means were trying to be disrespectful. They just wanted to make the game that much more exciting. Also, I think it will cause the Tiger players to focus more on the game and not on the event. From what I have seen and heard over the last few years, is that the majority of Silsbee fans like the idea of a top notch opponent for homecoming. I think it's great.

Here's what I know of the theory behind Silsbee homecomings. A few years ago' date=' Silsbee decided to have the best home game on the schedule to be their homecoming. They have had the likes of Jasper, Kirbyville, Nederland and Ozen in recent years as their homecoming opponents. With WOS being this years opponent is just keeping with the same tune. Silsbee by no means were trying to be disrespectful. They just wanted to make the game that much more exciting. Also, I think it will cause the Tiger players to focus more on the game and not on the event. From what I have seen and heard over the last few years, is that the majority of Silsbee fans like the idea of a top notch opponent for homecoming. I think it's great.[/quote']

I agree it shows a lot of confidence in your kids to schedule a tough opponent for HC. I don't think it will matter to a dominant team like WO-S. It's not like they should feel like they were chosen because they are the weak sister of the district. They were probably chosen for one of the following reason:

1. To motivate the Silsbee players because feel they have a chance to win and the HC tag may give them that extra push.

2. HC is almost always a district opponent and because of all of the other activites that go on at school districts sometimes you only have 1 or 2 games that you can choose from.

3. The coaches aren't saying they concede this game, but realistically don't want the HC distraction during another more critical home game...(at the time the schedule was made I would imagine the coaches felt Jasper and other district games were more of the must win variety than the WO-S game).

4. Just to give message boards something to talk about.

5. For the money. ;)

Last year (2005) WOS (I believe) post poned their homecoming game specificially for an undefeated BC team to give themselves more incentive to play and ultimately win the district championship by another close margin game.

The prior year (2004) these two teams went into OT and coach Hooks knew from that experience he would have to give his boys all the incentive they could muster to win.

Guest GoStangs

Last year (2005) WOS (I believe) post poned their homecoming game specificially for an undefeated BC team to give themselves more incentive to play and ultimately win the district championship by another close margin game.

The prior year (2004) these two teams went into OT and coach Hooks knew from that experience he would have to give his boys all the incentive they could muster to win.

Last year, the entire season was screwed around because of Rita. By the time the season got started again, several of the kids were still in FEMA trailers or living with other families. Just getting the chance to get back on the field last year was enough motivation for the kids to win their games. There were only two home games remaining -- Anahuac (the second game after we got back from the hurricane) and Bridge City (the last district game). I don't remember who the homecoming opponent was, but let's get real. Scheduling a homecoming game for motivation after what all everyone had been through and was going through at that time was probably near the last thing on anyone's mind.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed