*LAMAR vs. McNEESE ST. GAME THREAD/UPDATES...McNeese Wins!*

KFDM COOP

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[font=Courier]Some brief thoughts from the sidelines:

-Lamar does not have a running game. If they did, they may have won this one.
-Lamar had 2 years to prepare for McNeese State, MSU didnt have much on LU, and did NOT do a very good job of adjusting on the run.
-McNeese gave Lamar some very good gifts = fumbles. If MCN doesn't fumble, they probably win this game by 2-3 TDs.
-Bevil throws a very good ball.
-LU was more physical than MCN.
-19,000+ in attendance.
-Artificial turf was very slick.

Will be interesting now to see how LU will matchup with other SLC teams, because other teams will have tape on them.

I don't know much about Weber International, but I would think it will be an easy win for Lamar.[/font]

Guest BIG HOUSE
Hey  COOP,

if we would line up in the I-Formation once in a while I bet we could generate a running game..We ran out of this 1-time for 8yards and then never thought about it again....Lamar will be fine if we cut down the penalities and tackle better..Great game LU and keep your heads up..We are proud of you guys..

[quote name="weslinder" post="839382" timestamp="1283650514"]
My thoughts about the first half:  Lamar's pass-blocking is very good, and Bevil has a great arm.  He's made a couple of dumb throws when he should scramble, but he's generally done well.  The running game needs some serious work, and it needs to start at the line of scrimmage.  On defense, the pass rush is pretty good, and coverage isn't bad.  But McNeese is getting big push on running plays, and Lamar's linebackers don't seem to be reading it well.  Tackling hasn't been very good, and that's what's led to the big runs.  The McNeese fumbles were all caused by big hits from Lamar, so they have the speed and strength, but they really need to work on their tackling.

I'd say that Lamar's best player on offense is Bevil, and their best player on defense is linebacker Asim Hicks.

Overall, it's a good first half after a 21-year lay off.
[/quote]

This was on point!

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="839659" timestamp="1283663503"]
[font=Courier]Lamar also has a great mix of JUCO players. Imagine playing McNeese with a roster of redshirt freshmen.[/font]
[/quote]

The other issue is break away speed... We got walked down on some plays that should have been six!!!! But 80 and 1 are beast at wide recievers!!!!  The LB's were there to make the plays but the tackling was so poor!! That can be taught but it was nice to see them in the right position.  I hate thatwe stay in a constant zone... too easy to figure out... Especially playing 10 yrds off the recievers every play with no bump and run off the line!

I was at the game in the stands.  My thoughts are we don't have a run game out of the spread but showed we could run out of the I formation.  We have a big play offense that I think will only get better.  Defense hit very hard and they caused the fumbles by McNeese.   The hit by D'back from Lamar was highlight reel material.  I think Lamar would be very competitive in the SLC this year.  I think they will bet better as the season progresses.  Game was very fun with lots of Lamar fans, my estimate is about 4k.  I truly don't think McNeese expected LU to be this good.  There fans thought were class acts and all expressed that they were glad for Lamar to have football back.  Several gentlemen behind me said it was largest crowd they had seen in a very long time.  I truly don't see how they could get 27k there for a game.

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="839641" timestamp="1283660952"]

-Lamar had 2 years to prepare for McNeese State, MSU didnt have much on LU, and did NOT do a very good job of adjusting on the run.
-McNeese gave Lamar some very good gifts = fumbles. If MCN doesn't fumble, they probably win this game by 2-3 TDs.
-19,000+ in attendance.

Will be interesting now to see how LU will matchup with other SLC teams, because other teams will have tape on them.

I don't know much about Weber International, but I would think it will be an easy win for Lamar.[/font]
[/quote]Those fumbles wern't gifts..There were a couple of awesome hits that caused some of those turnovers

lamar football is back & with the local talent thats going to be recruited , with the local talent that  mcneese ,sfa,shsu,  tsu, had total control over, now these young men will have a new top notch facility
to compete in, to grow in ,lamar will be in great shape .  now lamar & mcneese.  lamar is better than
i thought they would be. new team, new coaches, new program, this usually spells tuff times. no we didnt win ,but we did. one mcneese fan said & i thought that this was going to be a blow out, he said
these guys are going to be good,they are going to get a lot of there local talent that we use to get.  its obvious what lamar needs to work on, but think about this. mcneese coaches have had yars of continuity. the system, they kow how to call both sides of the ball, they know strenghts & weeknesses,
lamar coor. no games called with these players ,boyh sides of the ball, they did not know players in
game time as a unit. ,im just saying lamar needs work but when u think of the newness of this first team
in 20 + years im thrilled of the quality of player & coaches that lamar has put together.  practice is one thing ,but most of these players have not played college ball in  2 years wow. 
things i like - the lamar football uniforms & coaches,band uni's where sharp,cheerleaders nice. lamar program sure looked good, just like there new facility,looks like lu is commited, good fan turnout & spirit ,cant wait for next week

-19,000+ in attendance.

[/quote]Yeah and if Mcneese didn't get all the favorable home cooking calls or no calls that lead to Mcneese scores.
The game was what it was, a Mcneese 3 point win. Just as I predicted...I said 41-38.

[b]-Lamar had 2 years to prepare for McNeese State, MSU didnt have much on LU, and did NOT do a very good job of adjusting on the run[/b].
[b]-McNeese gave Lamar some very good gifts = fumbles. If MCN doesn't fumble, they probably win this game by 2-3 TDs.[/b]
-19,000+ in attendance.

[/quote]

Everyone keeps saying LU had 2 years to prepare for McNeese but I believe they really only spent about 3 weeks of game preparation for the cowboys.

The gift td quote came right out of the McNeese SID article on the McNeese webpage.

-19,000+ in attendance.

[/quote]

Lamar didn't prepare for McNeese for 2 years because HALF the team wasn't on campus. McNeese didn't just lay the ball down. Lamar's defense was laying the wood out there. Talk about McNeese has 3 TO's and Lamar had 2. So, it is not like Lamar played a perfect game.

We do need a ground game. On defense I was impressed with Coleman.

Yes, there is video on the net about Lamar. Plus, they had film of SHSU when Whitten was there to go on.

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="839943" timestamp="1283713916"]
[font=Courier]Hey bigred...

So what you are saying is the coaching staff didn't go watch McNeese at all for 2 years?  ;D[/font]
[/quote]I visited with coach Woodard last year at the McNeese vs. SFA  game.

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="839943" timestamp="1283713916"]
[font=Courier]Hey bigred...

So what you are saying is the coaching staff didn't go watch McNeese at all for 2 years?  ;D[/font]
[/quote]

No HoopInsider, I'm sure they did but half the team wasn't on campus and they didn't even get equipment to the players until early spring. I guess you think you can get ready for the #11 team in the nation with half the team on campus and those wearing T-shirts and shorts.  ;D

I thought Lamar played a hell of a game on defense.   McNeese's recievers found the holes in Lamars secondary that comes with the experience of playing.  Lamars D-Line was outstanding in my opinion with the exception of maybe 3-4 plays.  The running game needs work but the passing was great (good recievers that know how to work the one on one open field).  seemed like they abandoned the running game but I do not blame them cause it was not working and McNeese could not stop the pass.  I think Bevil could have ran the ball a few times but I had the luxuary of sitting up in the stands and a birds eye view where he has the split second to decide.  Overall this games gives me optamisum for this season.  I am going bold and predicting [b]6[/b] wins for Lamar this year!!

[quote name="ABSENT!" post="839657" timestamp="1283663198"]
[quote author=weslinder link=topic=72502.msg839382#msg839382 date=1283650514]
My thoughts about the first half:  Lamar's pass-blocking is very good, and Bevil has a great arm.  He's made a couple of dumb throws when he should scramble, but he's generally done well.  The running game needs some serious work, and it needs to start at the line of scrimmage.  On defense, the pass rush is pretty good, and coverage isn't bad.  But McNeese is getting big push on running plays, and Lamar's linebackers don't seem to be reading it well.  Tackling hasn't been very good, and that's what's led to the big runs.  The McNeese fumbles were all caused by big hits from Lamar, so they have the speed and strength, but they really need to work on their tackling.

I'd say that Lamar's best player on offense is Bevil, and their best player on defense is linebacker Asim Hicks.

Overall, it's a good first half after a 21-year lay off.
[/quote]

This was on point!
[/quote]

Bevil is great but there are some good WR's on offense. On defense Jacody Coleman is the best player in my opinion.

[quote name="Javelina" post="839972" timestamp="1283717055"]
I thought Lamar played a heck of a game on defense.   McNeese's recievers found the holes in Lamars secondary that comes with the experience of playing.  Lamars D-Line was outstanding in my opinion with the exception of maybe 3-4 plays.  The running game needs work but the passing was great (good recievers that know how to work the one on one open field).  seemed like they abandoned the running game but I do not blame them cause it was not working and McNeese could not stop the pass.  I think Bevil could have ran the ball a few times but I had the luxuary of sitting up in the stands and a birds eye view where he has the split second to decide.  Overall this games gives me optamisum for this season.  I am going bold and predicting [b]6[/b] wins for Lamar this year!!
[/quote]

I'll raise you one and go 7!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics