*PN-G Vs. Friendswood Series/Friendswood wins series, advance

Guest JoesBros

It was a good call. The ump called 3 or 4 balks this game against both sides and different pitchers. That is the most balks I've seen in a high school game in a long time. The Indians played thier hearts out, even as they were running out of gas. The Higgs kid from FW came in and threw 5 innings of shutout baseball. Congrats to Friendswood and good luck the rest of the way. Congrats also to the Indians for a wonderful season.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JoesBros
I want to first give credit to FW for fighting back after being down 8-2. Higgs is only a Soph and shut the NDNS down and did a great job. I didnt realize it at the time but found out later the balk was called on the catcher Provost. He got out of his stance when the runner went to steal second base then when Stone delievered the pitch got back down in his crouch. I wasnt aware of the rule but it is what it is. Congrats to Coach Stone and the NDNS on a great season and even better playoff run. I was proud as an PNG Alum to broadcast these games this weekend and I hope everyone who got to listen I hope they enjoyed them as well.

Weird ending. Both teams fought very hard. Our soph pitcher Will Hibbs did great!! He pitched 5 innings, 53 pitches with 7 K's. PNG did a good job managing their available pitching. I was very proud of both teams never quitting and playing hard. Hot weather , close game, bad calls, some things are said that folks should not have said. But in general folks on and off the field maintained composure well. I am afraid to use the term classy because I will be making a subtle veiled redneck slam on Nederland - but players were class acts after the game. Good luck next year and for the seniors - great run and career! Brenham is clearly a heavy favorite in the next series, but we will fight hard!

[quote name="JoesBros" post="807521" timestamp="1275187327"]
I want to first give credit to FW for fighting back after being down 8-2. Higgs is only a Soph and shut the NDNS down and did a great job. I didnt realize it at the time but found out later the balk was called on the catcher Provost. He got out of his stance when the runner went to steal second base then when Stone delievered the pitch got back down in his crouch. I wasnt aware of the rule but it is what it is. Congrats to Coach Stone and the NDNS on a great season and even better playoff run. I was proud as an PNG Alum to broadcast these games this weekend and I hope everyone who got to listen I hope they enjoyed them as well.
[/quote]From what I'm reading the catcher WAS IN THE BOX but standing and REMAINED IN THE BOX then got down to recieve a pitch, so when did they change the rule, as long as he's >>in the box at the time of delivery. Am I missing something here?????

Here is what I found. I'm guessing this is what was called.....

During an intentional walk, the catcher must be completely within the catcher's box until the pitch is released; otherwise it is a balk. 4.03a

"(a) The catcher shall station himself directly back of the plate. He may leave his position at any time to catch a pitch or make a play except that when the batter is being given an intentional base on balls, the catcher must stand with both feet within the lines of the catcher’s box until the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand."
PENALTY: Balk

[b]EDIT It is also a balk if the catcher steps on or in front of home without the ball, or touches the batter or his bat, when a runner is trying to score on a squeeze play or steal of home.[/b] 7.07
Source(s):
"The Rules of Professional Baseball: A comprehensive Reorganization and Interpretation", by Jaksa and Roder
and rule 4
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/off…
rule 7
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/off…
2 years ago

Did not see the play, but I would not reference the balk rule from the mlb rule book. High School plays by NFHS rules which I know have some difference...especially when it comes to Balks. the best example is that a balk in HS ball is an immediate dead ball and whatever happens after the balk is called is irrelevant. In MLB the play continues and the offensive team is allowed to take the result of the play or the balk. It happened in a Rangers game earlier this season. C.J. Wilson balked, but continued his delivery and the batter got a hit. The opposing manager...cannot remember who it was, choose the hit instead of the Balk. In HS the continuation of the pitch and the hit would be wiped out. Ball would have been dead immediately and the next pitch would occur with the same count as prior to the balk.

I know that difference does not help with yesterday's balk, but without seeing it is hard to know why the umpire called the balk.

Odd that this late in the yr 4-5 balks called on each, did the same ump call all if so I think he's got a problem with 'nit pick n' The catcher is the ONLY defensive player that has actually has a desinated spot, all others must be 'on the field of play' The catcher may stand on his head but MUST remain in the catchers box until the pitcher commits to the plate...

What I saw was the pitcher clearly hesitating during his delivery. That could've been caused by the catcher standing up, because the hesitation occurred right after the runner on first broke for second.  That runner was at the pitcher's back so he couldn't have seen him.  The "flinch" was probably caused by a reaction to the third baseman or catcher. 

You can stand up to receive an intentional ball as long as you don't leave the catcher's box before the pitch is thrown.  Is standing up really a catcher's balk?

I talked to one of the PN-G ballplayers after the game, and he understood everything and realised that that's just baseball. He also said that if someone would have told him that they would have lost their ace pitcher in the beginning of the season and went 4 rounds in the playoffs, he would have slapped him. So great season guys, way to make your familys and the community proud.

[quote name="htownborn" post="808613" timestamp="1275538618"]
I talked to one of the PN-G ballplayers after the game, and he understood everything and realised that that's just baseball. He also said that if someone would have told him that they would have lost their ace pitcher in the beginning of the season and went 4 rounds in the playoffs, he would have slapped him. So great season guys, way to make your familys and the community proud.
[/quote]

Agreed, we know what missing your ace is like, and we only have been missing him for one and half series, much less the whole season. Well done PNG, good season.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder