Coaches, does school size reflect coach ability

THEMAN

Just wondering what you think. Does the size of the school a coach works at reflect his actual coaching ability. In other words is a 2A coach worse than a 5A coach just because he is in a smaller school and how would he do in a bigger school.
good question..I wouldnt think it mattered..I think you have a harder time at smaller schools..You have more "duties". Larger schools have more coaches but also more kids..But if you are successful at smaller shcools I think that would carry over to bigger programs as well

I think these are two different animals. A big school cant afford to miss any detail in game plan and practice. where the smaller school coaches have to spend twice the amout of time coaching technique and fundamentals because lots of these kids dont play until they get older. Both coaches have to face there own sets of problems. I think both could be successful on either level.

I think these are two different animals. A big school cant afford to miss any detail in game plan and practice. where the smaller school coaches have to spend twice the amout of time coaching technique and fundamentals because lots of these kids dont play until they get older. Both coaches have to face there own sets of problems. I think both could be successful on either level.

"Jaws" great post you hit the nail on the head!

There is a huge difference in small school coaching and big school coaching......It is in the intracacies of the game......The little things that get you beat in 5A as opposed to 2A.......You cannot be as intricate in the small school because your time is so limited......In 5A, you play one side of the ball and the entire practice is dedicated to that position.....In 2A, you split your practice, not only do kids play both sides, but many times play multiple positions........It has been my experience that the coaches who have spent time in the 5A programs have more specific knowledge than those who have not, that dose not mean they are better coaches......x's and o's is only part of coaching......motivating kids to perform is the other part........

I can also tell you, to expand on this point, that the best 4A schools cannot compete week end and week out with average 5A schools.....Just look at Lewisville Hebron....Defending 4A state champs in a below average district........And had almost all their starters returning......

Compared to the school I am in and the district we are in, yes they are small schools.......4A is small school compared to 5A.......Our band is the size of a 3A school.......Our Freshman class by itself is almost a 4A school......So yes, relatively speaking, PNG and Ned are small schools......And yes, they would be hammered if they had to play in a 5A district.....I know they can beat some 5A's, but week in and week out, no way.......

Guest maverick24

Back in High School I attended a 4a program anda 1a at the time the 1a was a power house in their district. They had players and a great following. The 4a was just the opposite! The coach at the 1a brought our school to the playoffs almost every year. then moved on to a 2a then a 3a school where his staff brought teams to the state finals 4 times. The 1a school at question was also a very wealthy school so was able to pay as much or more than large 5a schools. I don't think school size but PAY SIZE does reflect coach ability. In our local 4a in my opinion some of the better coaches get paid less than others. I think who ever has the money to pay the best coach will have the best coach no matter what size the school is. Just my thoughts!

It has been my experience that the coaches who have spent time in the 5A programs have more specific knowledge than those who have not' date=' that dose not mean they are better coaches......x's and o's is only part of coaching......motivating kids to perform is the other part........

[/quote']

I disagree with this statement. Coaching is coaching is coaching. The coaches at the smaller schools go to the very same coaching clinics that coaches from 5A schools go to. Offenses of small schools are often as complicated as the ones from larger schools.

I'm not slamming your statement or you just saying that I disagree with it. There are good and bad coaches at all levels.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124