Single Site State Championship Info

[b]From Matt Steppe[/b]

http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=798&tid=133391629&mid=133391629&sid=984&style=2

Single Site State Championship Info Reply
A very good source has provided me some possible information regarding the UIL Single Site State Championship. Here's the scoop:

The likely site for the Single Site Championship is Cowboys Stadium (not a done deal)

Look for 1A and 2A to have not 2 but 3 playoff teams creating 48 team brackets giving the district champions byes to the area playoffs (I like this)

Class 3A Division 1 likely won't be involved in the single site as their championship at least for 2 years will be a week earlier (12/11/10)

The 9 other games will be held starting Thursday 12/16/10 at Cowboys Stadium

Here's a possible schedule being thrown out (games will flip flop in 2011 expect for 3A-D2 they just get screwed)

Thursday Dec. 16
11am Class A Division 1 State Champiosnhip
3pm Class A Division 2 State Championship
8pm Class 2A Division 1 State Championship

Friday Dec. 17
11am Class 2A Division 2 State Championship
4pm Class 4A Division 1 State Championship
8pm Class 4A Division 2 State Championship

Saturday Dec. 18
10am (Breakfast Bowl) Class 3A Division 2 State Championship
3pm Class 5A Division 2 State Championship (Rotation already determined both years)
8pm Class 5A Division 1 State Championship

Nothing set in stone but this idea and scenario has some serious legs...Thoughts???

Matthew Stepp

DFW Writer

TheOldCoach.com

[email protected]

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="KFDM COOP" post="796881" timestamp="1272770870"]
[b]From Matt Steppe[/b]

Thursday Dec. 16

Friday Dec. 17

Saturday Dec. 18
3pm Class 5A Division 2 State Championship (Rotation already determined both years)

Nothing set in stone but this idea and scenario has some serious legs...Thoughts???

[/quote]

Terrible. A SC at 11 AM Thursday morning?  A 10AM Saturday (Breakfast  ::) )  SC?  Single site? All bad ideas. If an Austin or San Antonio team plays a Houston team, this rules out a sensible site of Reliant or The Alamodome, Everyone will have a long drive. It gives an automatic advantage to the D-FW teams (unfair!) and is just another indication of the eternal power/money grab the UIL pushes. I say give MORE CONTROL at the local levels. Let the two schools who earned their way to the SC decide whats best for THEM. They will know best! 

Once again the UIL is completely out of touch with reality. I agree that it gives the DFW area more home field advantages, but it also does not take into consideration anything about the cost involved for either teams or fans. Playing games that early in the morning is ridiculous. In 1998 Newton played Daingerfield in Nacogdoches for the state title. This allowed a lot of fans from both schools to attend as the drive for neither was very long. Why is a single site so important?

Single site for football is a ridiculous idea!

UIL is being run by some money grabbing bozo's.

I have no problem with a stadium hosting 2 maybe 3 games, but not all of them!!

I agree what was posted earlier, let the two teams that make it to the state game decide where they want to play.

I've got to weigh in on the negative (and that is regardless of which games are in the rotation, matt).  Let me outline some reasons:

1.  The idea of any games on Thursday, regardless of the time it is played, cuts the 6 coaches and teams that have to play that game off at the knees.  Recall that many playoff games, unlike in the regular season are played on Saturday.  So what you have are teams preparing for their most important game of the year in the shortest amount of time prescribed by the UIL.  Throw in further that one of the days for some or all of these teams will be taken up by travel and you have a very short time to prepare for a team you have not seen on the field or in films all year long in a game that may define you.

2.  I also dislike the single site for the reason Champion Eagles and ECBucsFan have already stated and that is that it gives an instant advantage to teams which happen to be in the region where the one site is located that year.  Yes, the UIL might claim the need for some stability and feel that they could get some further television rights money out of this.  However, most choices for these championship games have been fully capable of supporting TV broadcasts.  But what the UIL has done has made sure that no games are opposite each other at different parts of the state.  Therefore, all attendance, radio, internet and TV viewing are all focused in on one game.  Which leads me to think that there might be a co-conspirator in this move, FOX Sports.  Actually, they, not the UIL, are the real beneficiaries of this move as they no longer have to farm out their broadcast rights, which I understand they hold for all of the games.

3.  Finally, I agree with those who dislike games before noon.  A 10 o'clock game is particularly ridiculous..11 o'clock not much better.

I think the two schools deciding on the site for a championship game worked for several years and that there is really no need to disturb it.  But alas, we don't have the money and, thus, we don't make the rules. 

Not saying it would ever happen, but just think if an El Paso school and lets say Odessa make it to the big game, and....
IT'S IN HOUSTON!!!!
El Paso has to travel 800 miles to the game!
STUPID!!!!!!!

Texas is WAY TO BIG to have one site for ALL state championship games!

But....
When TV contracts are in the picture....
MONEY TALKS!!!!

The UIL stands to gain lots of money from a TV contract to televise ALL state championship games from one spot.
Wonder what happens to this money????

[quote name="KFDM COOP" post="796881" timestamp="1272770870"]
[b]From Matt Steppe[/b]

http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=798&tid=133391629&mid=133391629&sid=984&style=2

Single Site State Championship Info Reply
A very good source has provided me some possible information regarding the UIL Single Site State Championship. Here's the scoop:

The likely site for the Single Site Championship is Cowboys Stadium (not a done deal)

Look for 1A and 2A to have not 2 but 3 playoff teams creating 48 team brackets giving the district champions byes to the area playoffs (I like this)

Class 3A Division 1 likely won't be involved in the single site as their championship at least for 2 years will be a week earlier (12/11/10)

The 9 other games will be held starting Thursday 12/16/10 at Cowboys Stadium

Here's a possible schedule being thrown out (games will flip flop in 2011 expect for 3A-D2 they just get screwed)

Thursday Dec. 16
8pm Class 2A Division 1 State Championship

Friday Dec. 17
8pm Class 4A Division 2 State Championship

Saturday Dec. 18
8pm Class 5A Division 1 State Championship

Matthew Stepp

DFW Writer

TheOldCoach.com

[email protected]
[/quote]this will back-fire if it happens

[quote name="Matthew328" post="797465" timestamp="1272930631"]
I dont believe it will backfire...I think you may see smaller crowds on Thur and Fri. morning but can you imagine the crowds Friday night and Saturday? UIL will make a KILLING
[/quote]
In other words your ok with killing 1a and 2a as long as the bigger schools get the recognition? That's pretty shortsighted in my opinion. Your making second class citizens out of schools that are just smaller. Do you think the players and fans are any less excited about a state title game? Your reply implies this.

Guest ECBucFan
C.E. is exactly right. One day people will eventually come to the realization the UIL is [i]NOT[/i] about high school sports. As shocking as that sounds, it's the truth. The UIL is money making machine that [i]uses[/i] HS sports as its fuel.

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="797776" timestamp="1273009774"]
[font=Courier]Single site for basketball and baseball....Just curious, why not football?[/font]
[/quote]

Did you read the thread? Here is the words of Grad:

[i]I've got to weigh in on the negative (and that is regardless of which games are in the rotation, matt).  Let me outline some reasons:

1.  The idea of any games on Thursday, regardless of the time it is played, cuts the 6 coaches and teams that have to play that game off at the knees.  Recall that many playoff games, unlike in the regular season are played on Saturday.  So what you have are teams preparing for their most important game of the year in the shortest amount of time prescribed by the UIL.  Throw in further that one of the days for some or all of these teams will be taken up by travel and you have a very short time to prepare for a team you have not seen on the field or in films all year long in a game that may define you.

2.  I also dislike the single site for the reason Champion Eagles and ECBucsFan have already stated and that is that it gives an instant advantage to teams which happen to be in the region where the one site is located that year.  Yes, the UIL might claim the need for some stability and feel that they could get some further television rights money out of this.  However, most choices for these championship games have been fully capable of supporting TV broadcasts.  But what the UIL has done has made sure that no games are opposite each other at different parts of the state.  Therefore, all attendance, radio, internet and TV viewing are all focused in on one game.  Which leads me to think that there might be a co-conspirator in this move, FOX Sports.  Actually, they, not the UIL, are the real beneficiaries of this move as they no longer have to farm out their broadcast rights, which I understand they hold for all of the games.

3.  Finally, I agree with those who dislike games before noon.  A 10 o'clock game is particularly ridiculous..11 o'clock not much better.

I think the two schools deciding on the site for a championship game worked for several years and that there is really no need to disturb it.  But alas, we don't have the money and, thus, we don't make the rules.  [/i]

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="797677" timestamp="1272989107"]
[quote author=Matthew328 link=topic=69320.msg797465#msg797465 date=1272930631]
I dont believe it will backfire...I think you may see smaller crowds on Thur and Fri. morning but can you imagine the crowds Friday night and Saturday? UIL will make a KILLING
[/quote]
In other words your ok with killing 1a and 2a as long as the bigger schools get the recognition? That's pretty shortsighted in my opinion. Your making second class citizens out of schools that are just smaller. Do you think the players and fans are any less excited about a state title game? Your reply implies this.
[/quote]

I'm not saying I agree or disagree but I'm looking at it from the UIL standpoint. They are going to make quite a bit of money off this deal. 

Love of money has ruined many things, now high school state championships i this happens. Neutral sites are more fair. If there was going to "have" to be a single site, should definitely either rotate sites or be in a more neutral site. The UIL should not make this decision based on selfish ambition, but should do what is best for the schools. In setx terms, bunch of bull crap if this happens over money!

[quote name="Matthew328" post="797801" timestamp="1273020732"]
[quote author=ChampionEagles link=topic=69320.msg797677#msg797677 date=1272989107]
[quote author=Matthew328 link=topic=69320.msg797465#msg797465 date=1272930631]
[/quote]
[/quote]

I'm not saying I agree or disagree but I'm looking at it from the UIL standpoint. They are going to make quite a bit of money off this deal.  
[/quote]

Oh, OK. I misunderstood. I thought it was about money only. So it's still alright to shove 1A and 2A aside because they're really not important and have nothing to do with Texas high school football. Why not just cancel those classes of games and just think of the money the UIL could save.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder