Can Silsbee & Spurger Return to Austin Next Year????????

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the season starts I pay attention to where SETX sports and other forums rank them, namely Silsbee.  Then about Jan u can tell if they are going to make some noise or not.  Some tell tale games is how they do against Kountze, HJ and the bigger schools in beaumont, also the tournaments.

You really can't tell by what they lost to graduation.  I didn't think they would do that well this year after they lost Shannon robison, etc.  Someone will step up, hopefully.

Spurger will have a great chance next year since moving down to 1A-II, although Blankenship and Hutto will certainly be missed next year.  Im not quite familiar with some of the districts in 1A-II region 3, but the ones i'm not familiar with werent very good this year in the playoffs.  All 3 of these teams will be top 10 teams next year in TABC.  So heres my list of top contenders Spurger will have to deal with:

Laneville- Lost all stater Carey and a few other seniors to graduation.  But were deep and very athletic this year.  They nearly got to Austin, losing to Slocum in overtime in regional finals, but will have a great chance again next year.

Dodd City-  They are losing pretty much no one to graduation, like the 3rd guy off the bench if you count that.  They were very good this year, losing a very close 59-55 game to a very athletic Laneville team.  They are well coached and shoot well.  Maybe the favorite in this region next year.

Miller Grove-  They lost a close 40-35 game to Slocum in regional quarters this year.  Not losing much to graduation either.  Expect to be even better next year.  Scrappy team that plays tough defense and will definitely be in the mix.

[quote name="RP3" post="777086" timestamp="1268620415"]
Silsbee will have to go through Cleveland, who was young this year returning 4 starters and Hardin Jefferson once again...The window is getting smaller and smaller for them, but who knows..I really feel they were BETTER last year, and got the job done a year too late....Don't know about Spurger, they ARE fairly young too, but they really got man handled versus Cayuga...Can't assess them after seeing them play only once, because honestly they looked real average against Cayuga, but in their defense that is not hard to do against a team like that one!
[/quote]

That's almost a repeat of what people were saying about Cleveland this time last year.
It is hard to get all the ingredients together at one time.  One year you have great guards and shooting.  The next year you have the BIGS.  It is always something.  They are going to miss Avory Thomas, and Pheal Hill.  I said the same when William Harper left a few years ago.  Somebody in the ranks, from lil dribblers, on up, will step up.  Hopefully sooner than later.

It is extremely tough to get to Austin and even harder to return.Both clubs return quality players but both have huge holes to fill.Spurger will have a tough time replacing the scoring of Blanlenship but have a couple of quality players to build around and a young coach they believe in so don't bet against them.In Silsbee DC Stallworth will be in the running for POY so they will be right at the top of the regional heap.

[quote name="whsalum" post="777108" timestamp="1268622237"]
It is extremely tough to get to Austin and even harder to return.Both clubs return quality players but both have huge holes to fill.Spurger will have a tough time replacing the scoring of Blanlenship but have a couple of quality players to build around and a young coach they believe in so don't bet against them.In Silsbee DC Stallworth will be in the running for POY so they will be right at the top of the regional heap.
[/quote]I agree, its a big task getting back to Austin. I think both teams have a good shot at returning.
Spurger will miss the two seniors but IMOP it will be more on the def-end then the scoring.I know it sounds crazy but look at the games the two didnt play in this year.As a team PPG was around the same and maybe a tad bit higher.The kids really step it up while they were out.
Now the two seniors where IMOP the best deffensive guys on the team. Fill that roll and Spurger will be fine.

Silsbee having DC and Lane to build a team around And add Gaines, alot of teams would like to have that problem ;)  

[quote name="torbush" post="777129" timestamp="1268624963"]
Spurger loses to much in Blankenship (sp) and wont return. Yes I realize Whittaker is a force, but he no good if they dont have anyone to throw it to him.

Silsbee has a shot, as always.
[/quote]Dont have anyone to throw it to him :o :o Mcgallion with over 200 asts
Dont think that will be one of their problems. ;)
Blankenship,Rawls,Odom in that order,all around the same in asts.Some where around 40 or 50,I will have to go back and look
to be sure on the # but it is close

COURT SIDE.................I know that you are the father of one of the players.....so....I hope you will pass along to your team what I am about to say....

I don't believe I have ever been more proud of a community than I have of SPURGER,TEXAS....Your fans and your kids conducted themselves in a manner  that any southeast Texan would be proud of....The kids played their hearts out, and the SPURGER faithful cheered their hearts out.

I have no idea whether or not they will make it back next year....but this year they were the classiest act in AUSTIN!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name="OLDREF" post="777139" timestamp="1268627236"]
COURT SIDE.................I know that you are the father of one of the players.....so....I hope you will pass along to your team what I am about to say....

I don't believe I have ever been more proud of a community than I have of SPURGER,TEXAS....Your fans and your kids conducted themselves in a manner   that any southeast Texan would be proud of....The kids played their hearts out, and the SPURGER faithful cheered their hearts out.

I have no idea whether or not they will make it back next year....but this year they were the classiest act in AUSTIN!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]Thank you and I will pass it along.

RP3 get out and come to our little town and meet these boys,their coach,and their fans.Then you will get a ideal of what some
of the posters are talking about.Untill then dont bother saying there is not nothing special here ;)

[quote name="court side" post="777154" timestamp="1268629993"]
::)  ::) I think you missed THE point ;D ;D

If its not that big of a deal to you,then why even make a deal
out of OLDREF's post
[/quote]

Well said Courtside. Seem like I said this to someone on here before but worth saying again. When you have a good thing going there is always someone there to try an belittle you or make what your doing sound bad. I say ignore ignorance!!!! Thank to you Old Ref we as spurger fans appreciate the positive things people have been saying about our team, coaches, community and fan. We are PROUD TO BE PIRATES!!!!!!

I don't think anyone is trying to put Spurger on a pedestool here. They are just acknowledging the fact of how they held themselves at the tourney. Nobody is saying it is out of the ordinary and is extra special, just commending the Spurger team for their actions. Nothing wrong with that.

RP3, you seem to want to spin negative remarks on anyone's postive thoughts about our local teams.

You seem to be a bitter person, why is that?

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="777268" timestamp="1268672053"]
I don't think anyone is trying to put Spurger on a pedestool here. They are just acknowledging the fact of how they held themselves at the tourney. Nobody is saying it is out of the ordinary and is extra special, just commending the Spurger team for their actions. Nothing wrong with that.

RP3, you seem to want to spin negative remarks on anyone's postive thoughts about our local teams.

You seem to be a bitter person, why is that?

[/quote]Belittling the comments of others does NOT constitute" trying to understand.

[quote name="court side" post="777134" timestamp="1268626002"]
[quote author=torbush link=topic=67335.msg777129#msg777129 date=1268624963]
Spurger loses to much in Blankenship (sp) and wont return. Yes I realize Whittaker is a force, but he no good if they dont have anyone to throw it to him.

Blankenship,Rawls,Odom in that order,all around the same in asts.Some where around 40 or 50,I will have to go back and look
[/quote]

Thats a good number of assists, but I'm just going by what i saw at the tourney, seemed like Blankenship was the only one who could bring it up the court. But i do realize Cayuga was beast.

Silsbee has the better chance, but they both have a chance... as far as i'm concerned, Silsbee will be the favorite to advance out of region 3 until proven otherwise.  With Spurger, they're going to have to pull off some more upsets like they did this year.  Hopefully Spurger will go, and also HJ or Silsbee too!

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="777463" timestamp="1268703339"]
Does Silsbee have a chance of going to Austin?

Only if they:

a) move to another region.
or
b) move to another class.

Oh wait.  There's also
c) If HJ moves to another region
or
d) If HJ moves to another class.

:D

[/quote]
Yeah maybe HJ should go back to 4A I bet it would be a lot more quiet in here then.... :D :D

[quote name="torbush" post="777353" timestamp="1268685669"]
[quote author=court side link=topic=67335.msg777134#msg777134 date=1268626002]
[quote author=torbush link=topic=67335.msg777129#msg777129 date=1268624963]

[/quote]

Thats a good number of assists, but I'm just going by what i saw at the tourney, seemed like Blankenship was the only one who could bring it up the court. But i do realize Cayuga was beast.
[/quote]Yuga was a beast, and this spurger team dont go without Mcgallion having the ball in his hand.Cayuga knew this and if you watch the first part of the game even in their press cayuga keep one on mcgallion up and down the court taking out him of the game.

[quote name="ST413" post="777467" timestamp="1268703612"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=67335.msg777463#msg777463 date=1268703339]
Does Silsbee have a chance of going to Austin?

Only if they:

a) move to another region.
or
b) move to another class.

Oh wait.  There's also
c) If HJ moves to another region
or
d) If HJ moves to another class.

:D

[/quote]
Yeah maybe HJ should go back to 4A I bet it would be a lot more quiet in here then.... :D :D

[/quote]

Silsbee is a lot closer to a 4A than we are I think yall have about 300 more students than we do.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder