Best Catcher in SETX...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="rounder17" post="774272" timestamp="1268195879"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=67075.msg774039#msg774039 date=1268176593]
I thought aaron morgan was west brooks primary catcher. what under armer game are you referring to?
[/quote]

Guillory is a freshman, and very good.
[/quote]

I mean sophmore.

[quote name="Domination Station" post="773950" timestamp="1268165949"]
I've see both Felts and Ty Parker play and they're very good batters.  But as far as playing the catcher position, I'd take Lumberton's Wes Bingham hands down.  He knocks everything down and throws out runners trying to steal.  He's picked off runners on all three bases that were trying to get a lead.  He's very quick out of the gate and fires the ball.  Wes has also had 3 homers this year, so he's also good with his bat.  I like all three players, but I think Wes is the best overall.  I know he's talking with several colleges but hasn't yet committed.
[/quote]
Apparently UT and the 5 to 6 pro scouts at Orangefield games think otherwise.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="774039" timestamp="1268176593"]
I thought aaron morgan was west brooks primary catcher. what under armer game are you referring to?
[/quote]

he attended a baseball factory tryout and was selected to play in one of the under armor games this summer. i am not entirely sure which one though.

[quote name="rounder17" post="774300" timestamp="1268198374"]
[quote author=rounder17 link=topic=67075.msg774272#msg774272 date=1268195879]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=67075.msg774039#msg774039 date=1268176593]
[/quote]

Guillory is a freshman, and very good.
[/quote]

I mean sophmore.
[/quote]
you were right he is a freshman

[quote name="Cat22" post="774441" timestamp="1268234908"]
[quote author=Domination Station link=topic=67075.msg773950#msg773950 date=1268165949]
I've see both Felts and Ty Parker play and they're very good batters.  But as far as playing the catcher position, I'd take Lumberton's Wes Bingham hands down.  He knocks everything down and throws out runners trying to steal.  He's picked off runners on all three bases that were trying to get a lead.  He's very quick out of the gate and fires the ball.  Wes has also had 3 homers this year, so he's also good with his bat.  I like all three players, but I think Wes is the best overall.  I know he's talking with several colleges but hasn't yet committed.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Why are UT scouts at orangefield games if Felts has already committed??

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="marbleslab" post="776938" timestamp="1268594237"]
[quote author=Cat22 link=topic=67075.msg774441#msg774441 date=1268234908]
[quote author=Domination Station link=topic=67075.msg773950#msg773950 date=1268165949]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Why are UT scouts at orangefield games if Felts has already committed??
[/quote]

Re-read the post. UT already thinks so. NOW include the 5-6 pro scouts at the games.

Anyone on here questioning Jacob Felts has obviously never seen him play and they have never met the young man or his family. He's as good of a person as he is a baseball player. Maybe better.

Hester pitched a complete game and was just as good as the 2-0 win in WOS. I was hoping he would challenge some of the hitters with such a lead but kept mixing it up very well and kept Jasper's hitters off balance. If he gets to Lamar they will have a fine one.
  Jasper started Soph. Jacob Clark for two to three and followed with Phillips and Alvis. Soph. Tyler Bolton finished up the night. I see Hester as the area's best right now until Kirby Bellow gets his feet back under him. It might still be a tie when that time comes. That will be a game to see Vidor/Nederland, just like the two BC/OF games this year. I got to go with Hicks there until he is beat.

No doubt Felts is one of the 2 or 3 best catchers in SE Texas but I think the scouts see potential in him more than anything else.  He is a great kid by all accounts but his mechanics behind the plate still need some work.  As of now, his athletic ability overcomes some of his shortcomings but at the next level, that will not be acceptable.  Don't get me wrong, the boy can definitely play at the next level and will be successful.  He still needs some seasoning to get there.  I must admit I have not seen Parker behind the plate but have seen him hit - he's good at the plate.  Matt Menard is better now behind the plate than Bingham.  As far as the best players in the area, Felts and Hicks - hands down. 

[quote name="BC28in80" post="777096" timestamp="1268621498"]
No doubt Felts is one of the 2 or 3 best catchers in SE Texas but I think the scouts see potential in him more than anything else.  He is a great kid by all accounts but his mechanics behind the plate still need some work.  As of now, his athletic ability overcomes some of his shortcomings but at the next level, that will not be acceptable.  Don't get me wrong, the boy can definitely play at the next level and will be successful.  He still needs some seasoning to get there.  I must admit I have not seen Parker behind the plate but have seen him hit - he's good at the plate.  Matt Menard is better now behind the plate than Bingham.  As far as the best players in the area, Felts and Hicks - hands down. 
[/quote]Bases loaded bottom of 7th leading by one run I want Babino behind the plate...Bottom of 7th bases loaded need a run I want Felts at the plate.. Hard to beat Babinos Def. skills ..And hard to beat Felts smooth swing....I watched Felts play two summers with the Devils & I have watched Babino play his whole Baseball life...Both #1 picks in my book..Menard -MAN CHILD Have not seen Parker play but have heard alot of good things about him..

Parker is leading setexas in hr's with 7 and does it without getting much to hit...He is hands down the best catcher in setx..if you can hit the coaches will find a place for you to play... and if you dont... you dont need to worry about washing your uniform...Felts power has been lacking so far this year...

[quote name="T-daddy" post="777228" timestamp="1268667042"]
Parker is leading setexas in hr's with 7 and does it without getting much to hit...He is hands down the best catcher in setx..if you can hit the coaches will find a place for you to play... and if you dont... you dont need to worry about washing your uniform...Felts power has been lacking so far this year...
[/quote]Felts....Babino.....Parker...Babino solid Def.probably the least amount of mistakes out of all of them on def.

BBHALLOFFAME.
Here is what you are asking for;
I have seen the following guys perform, evaluate them each inning & record their individual 'Pop' Times via the 'Stop Watch'.
I personally bring home the data and report it to many college programs and professional ballclubs(When they call on Prospect Players in our Region(SETx-SWLa).
I've personally seen all the following below during competition THIS season.
Fans are Fans which is great to have 'Fanatics' out supporting these kids and teams....Yet Many "Fans" tend to exaggerrate at times on players, which happens for they are told bad information from the kids, coaches, or do not truly understand how to record certain aspects within the game. But its not always the person at fault for mis-information.
Trust me, these numbers are done when the Ball touches the catchers mitt to when the position player catches the ball at 2nd base.
These times are not just 'one-time' pop times, for they are multiple recorded times either 'between inning' throw downs or when a kid attempted a stolen base.
The thing many need to understand, its like when people say we have a "90mph arm" in the area, 90 is 90, or a kid runs a 6.5 60yard dash, or a 4.5 40yard dash, I need to see for myself to see if they are recorded times by people who are "rooting" for a talented player or is the "rumors" legit.
Just as the 2.0 pop time is a 2.0 pop time, some tend to see a kid do it at practice when a catcher can start early and cheat, but here is the reality numbers below recorded in ballgames. Showcases can be misleading at times for it benefits the showcase to have good numbers displayed (PR-Business) for which they allow "cheating" at times.
Showcases need to place a batter in the box and take a 'missed-swing' to force catchers to realistically remain back and not 'cheat' on throws, but then again, that would be bad for business, press releases, websites, etc...
Try it at home, get a stop watch and when a professional catcher throws down, you'll be suprised his times arent always as astounding as one may think, yet many in the big leagues do throw pretty amazing throw downs(1.76-1.9).
The BEST Pop times I've seen this year are, Wayne Taylor Houston Memorial(1.89-2.01) and Garret Logan Sam Houston High(La)(1.88-1.96)
As for a three of the kids below(Parker-Felts-Hester), we had other professional clubs timing as well and all got the same recordings.
[b][i]They are all very good high school catchers [/i] [/b] [i][b]and do well for these teams for which they are playing[/b][/i]....

T Parker(Jasper) - 1.96-2.08 / (80mph)(Have seen 3games)
J Felts(Orangefield) - 1.92-2.06 (82mph throw)(have seen 4 games)
A Babino(Nederland) - 2.06 - 2.16 (have seen 2 games)
W Bingham(Lumberton) - 2.01-2.09 / (have seen 3games)
J Anderson(Ozen) - 2.09-2.23 / (seen twice)
J Finney(WOS) - 2.15-2.28(have seen 4 games)
C Henry(Silsbee) - 2.04-2.13(have seen 2 games)
K Markum(HF) - 2.07-2.17(have seen 2 games)
M Menard(BC) - 2.11-2.27 / (have seen 5 games)
A Morgan(WBrook) - 2.0-2.09 /(have seen 3 games)
M Hester(Vidor) - 2.10-2.19(77mph) / (have seen 2 games)
B Provost(PNG) - 2.11-2.27(have seen 4 games)
Sanches(Memorial) - 2.07-2.19(Have seen 2 games)
Budwine (PNG) - 2.17-2.22(Have seen 3 games)
Adams(LCM - 2.29-2.39(Have seen twice)

Anything Under a 2.1 for high school is a pretty solid time, and as you can see, many above sit at that "2.1 Bar".

The only teams I have failed to see yet are East Chambers-Deweyville-Woodville-Anahuac-Barbers Hill-Sabine Pass-Kountze.

Teams Ive seen yet will not post recordings, Kirbyville, Central, Livingston, Hardin Jefferson, Kelly, Buna - I'd rather not post for its only fair and consistent if I see them more than once.

Chris Fackler

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476