BH Hires Two-time State Champ Coach - Ronnie Gage

HillGuy

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="TrueBlue" post="756108" timestamp="1265469256"]
Explain that one Lion1.  Gage has more experience and football knowledge than anyone on the current staff.  Don't forget he has two 5A state championships.  I don't see anyone on the current staff with those credentials. 
[/quote]

You seem to forget about the number of D-1 kids and athletes he had on those teams....When is the last time BH has had a D-1 kid????

[quote name="bigdaddyblue" post="756140" timestamp="1265478478"]
[quote author=TrueBlue link=topic=64943.msg756108#msg756108 date=1265469256]
Explain that one Lion1.  Gage has more experience and football knowledge than anyone on the current staff.  Don't forget he has two 5A state championships.  I don't see anyone on the current staff with those credentials. 
[/quote]

You seem to forget about the number of D-1 kids and athletes he had on those teams....When is the last time BH has had a D-1 kid????
[/quote] I know in 2008 they had a couple of em on their home turf ... but thats when they played Dayton ! AJ & Cody  :D

[quote name="jayhawk" post="756145" timestamp="1265479902"]
[quote author=bigdaddyblue link=topic=64943.msg756140#msg756140 date=1265478478]
[/quote]

[/quote] I know in 2008 they had a couple of em on their home turf ... but thats when they played Dayton ! AJ & Cody  :D
[/quote]

lmao... hahahahahahaha

[quote name="bigdaddyblue" post="756140" timestamp="1265478478"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Tell us the D1 kids that he had? I'm just curios since this seems to be the current staffs battle cry! I don't think anyone is expecting that BH is going to win State, but they will be a better team IMO. WOS is dripping in D1 tallent ,but hasn't even been to state since their drop down! Point is D1 tallent isn't the only factor on the football field. I'll take a team of athletic kids that are willing to learn and have heart than a couple of D1 kids anyday.

I agree, other than Cody and AJ, all this talk of D1 kids.. Give me a break,19-4a or any other area team other than Westbrook, WOS, doesn't put  many D1 kids in...D1 kids come along every few years for "most" programs other than a few exceptions, Northshore, Katy, and some of the big boys......Not that much difference in the talent level, and hopefully the new coach will actually ride the bus with his team.

D1 kids are a result of both genetics and the program.  You aren't going to see a five foot nothing qb playing d1 ball, but there are plenty of kids with plenty of talent and good genetics that are in bad programs and end up missing out on playing at the next level. A team doesn't have to be loaded with D1 talent to be successful.  Dayton was the most successful team in the district and their best player went to lamar. A year before, they went to the state championship game with 2 D1 kids leading the way. I say this to illustrate the fact that D1 talent helps, but a successful program is really about getting the most out of the kids that you have.

Barbers Hill went out and bought a coach that they feel will give them a chance to win.  I hope he builds the type of program that creates some D1 players.  I also hope that he is worth the money.

I believe Coach Gage will come in and build relationships with the athletes, staff and community.  He made it very clear when he met the public that he isn't going to blow smoke to parents or kids regarding their ability to play at the next level.  He knows what a D1 athlete looks like and realizes we probably aren't going to have an abundance of those kinds of players at BH.  But I do think he will work hard to develop each player and help them reach their potential and possibly play at the collegiate level (D2, D3 or NAIA) if the athlete has the talent and desire.  Having coached at the collegiate level, he is bound to have good networking ability and contacts to showcase kids at the appropriate programs. 

More than anything, he seems POSITIVE about his job, our schools and community.  That in itself is better than what we had.  :)

[quote name="TrueBlue" post="757219" timestamp="1265686406"]
I believe Coach Gage will come in and build relationships with the athletes, staff and community.  He made it very clear when he met the public that he isn't going to blow smoke to parents or kids regarding their ability to play at the next level.  He knows what a D1 athlete looks like and realizes we probably aren't going to have an abundance of those kinds of players at BH.  But I do think he will work hard to develop each player and help them reach their potential and possibly play at the collegiate level (D2, D3 or NAIA) if the athlete has the talent and desire.  Having coached at the collegiate level, he is bound to have good networking ability and contacts to showcase kids at the appropriate programs.  

More than anything, he seems POSITIVE about his job, our schools and community.  That in itself is better than what we had.   :)
[/quote]

Very well said! Hopefully this attitude will rub off on the coaches that remain from the old staff.

[quote name="TrueBlue" post="757638" timestamp="1265767636"]
bballer - do you have any word on which coaches are staying and which are going?
[/quote]

Haven't heard any news for sure. I only know that Coach Gage is bringing his OC and DC from his days at Lewisville. I would expect there to be other changes as well.

i am sure coach gage is very qualified to coach the eagles.  with his record, he has worked with many types of athletes and has adjusted his offense/defense in order to compensate for lesser talent and has rode the good horse when he had an exceptional player.  however, he may never have met the bh fans or parents.  good luck to him and may he continue to have success in the future.

[quote name="eagle65" post="759709" timestamp="1266125301"]
i am sure coach gage is very qualified to coach the eagles.  with his record, he has worked with many types of athletes and has adjusted his offense/defense in order to compensate for lesser talent and has rode the good horse when he had an exceptional player.  however, he may never have met the bh fans or parents.  good luck to him and may he continue to have success in the future.
[/quote]

There's no doubt he's qualified and I as well would expect him to be more than capable of making any adjustments necessary to fit the talent level of the players he coaches. As of now, I'm sure he's only met a small amount of the BH fans or parents. However, hopefully the difference we will have with Coach Gage, is a staff of coaches that will not only want to meet the BH fans and parents, but accept the support that the majority are more than willing to give. I realize we have some knuckleheads in this town but we don't have anymore than anyone else. The relationship a coaching staff has with fans and parents is a two way street. If you want respect from parents and fans then you have to give a little respect. By the way, you can't just give respect to a [b]select group [/b] and shun everyone else and expect [b]the entire community[/b] to love what your doing.

Well said bballer.  Ronnie Gage is a savvy guy and his personality has already won over a lot of people.  I think he has high expectations for everyone INCLUDING the coaching staff.  Coach Gage knows the importance of inspiring the athletes AND the coaches.  The staff under Price didn't seem to make the connection that being motivated about your job and what you are doing translates to kids busting their tail to work hard and have a winning attitude.

As for the BH fans and parents, yes we are proud of our Eagles and we want to win.  There are some parents/fans who don't always conduct themselves the right way.  BUT THOSE TYPES OF PEOPLE ARE EVERYWHERE!!!!  BH pride runs deep and even when we weren't winning (last few years), those stands were full every Friday night to support our boys. 

[quote name="bballer" post="759778" timestamp="1266165787"]
[quote author=eagle65 link=topic=64943.msg759709#msg759709 date=1266125301]
i am sure coach gage is very qualified to coach the eagles.  with his record, he has worked with many types of athletes and has adjusted his offense/defense in order to compensate for lesser talent and has rode the good horse when he had an exceptional player.  however, he may never have met the bh fans or parents.  good luck to him and may he continue to have success in the future.
[/quote]

There's no doubt he's qualified and I as well would expect him to be more than capable of making any adjustments necessary to fit the talent level of the players he coaches. As of now, I'm sure he's only met a small amount of the BH fans or parents. However, hopefully the difference we will have with Coach Gage, is a staff of coaches that will not only want to meet the BH fans and parents, but accept the support that the majority are more than willing to give. I realize we have some knuckleheads in this town but we don't have anymore than anyone else. The relationship a coaching staff has with fans and parents is a two way street. If you want respect from parents and fans then you have to give a little respect. By the way, you can't just give respect to a [b]select group [/b] and shun everyone else and expect [b]the entire community[/b] to love what your doing.

Very well said ;D
[/quote]

[quote name="BHFAN" post="760537" timestamp="1266344834"]
Where in the heck has Trublue and bballer been for the last 10 years??? I wouldn't have had to piss off so many people with them around  ;D ;D
[/quote]

First off, let me say that I'm not trying to piss anyone off. I've been around for many more than 10 years. I've just been sitting back reading and listening to all the comments until I got my fill of the bashing of the BH parents and fans. This is a very special place to me and the people here are something to be very proud of as a group. As I said before there are some knuckleheads but you get that everywhere. The change was long overdue and the attitudes of the supporters of the old staff just makes that even more evident to me. [b]Some people [/b] hate to see the change because they feel like they're losing their grip on something that they had total control over in some way. [b]Some people [/b], could be some of the old staff, select parents, a school board member, bhisd employees, or some of all of those listed. BH is a special place and it should be treated as such! In Coach Gage, I think we have a man that will get us going in that direction! ;D

I am with you bballer.  I am not trying to piss off anyone.  I have also been here a long time and didn't even read this blog until I overheard someone talking about it after we found out Price was leaving.  I was veru disappointed in our previous leadership at the athletic department.  But it wasn't (isn't) just Price who is the problem.  I am hopeful that Coach Gage will see the "true colors" of some of the other coaches and replace them. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami