Fight mars ending of Central/Ozen game

Guest HFGirlsSportsFan
Let's all hope for a quick and speedy recovery of the Central player.  The news article says that the Ozen player was arrested.  Looking at the BISD policies page, she should be placed at a minimum in DAEP (Disciplinary Alternate Education Program) or expelled.  DAEP has a maximum sentence of 1 year.  So she should be done for the year.  I guess we will see if BISD has the will to do what it should.

This just adds more cause for the dwendling respect for the Ozen program.  This is classic example of how athletic competition does not build character as much as it reveals it.  The Ozen player failed the test in sportmanship and character...I'm waiting to see how the Ozen administrators handle this situation to see if they too fail the same test.

For some reason, I don't have much faith that this will be handled harshly enough. 

Athletic competition does both build and reveal character.These type issues can usually be traced back to whoever is sitting on the end of the bench.This isn't someting that just surfaces 20 games into the season,it's an issue that wasn't addressed and spiraled out of control.Nothing that happens on the BISD sports front can surprise me.This school district needs to get a grip and it needs to start at the very top.

Really why is everyone so suprised?  I watched my daughter play 4 years of basktball in 4A and everytime she played against either of these teams, she was threatened, cursed and usually beat up pretty badly.  I'm more suprised this hasn't happened before now.  I doubt anything will happen to the ozen player, but i hope the central player isn't too badly hurt

I am not the least bit surprised that this happened, in fact what surprises me is that it did not happen before last night. As far as I am concerned coaches, referees, parents and players have let this sport spiral out of control. If you enjoy contact sports you can add basketball to your list. From what I have seen over the last few years this sport has been denegrated to what we see now.  Because coaches and referees have allowed this sport to become so physical, it puts fear and anger in my heart whenever I go to a game. I know that there will be bias from the referees and I know that certain coaches will be high-fiving their players when they are fouled out of the game. What happen to sportsmanship, class on the court and good, honest playmanship?

[quote name="Slam14" post="744870" timestamp="1263664518"]

This just adds more cause for the dwendling respect for the Ozen program.  This is classic example of how athletic competition does not build character as much as it reveals it.  The Ozen player failed the test in sportmanship and character...I'm waiting to see how the Ozen administrators handle this situation to see if they too fail the same test.

For some reason, I don't have much faith that this will be handled harshly enough.  
[/quote]Although you have a legitimate point, the beginning of the boys game that followed showed all the members of both teams coming out and hugging each other to show that the previous sucker punch wasn't indicative of the rest of the players.

I much prefer to dwell on that positive note then simmer on the negative.

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="745102" timestamp="1263697506"]
[quote author=Slam14 link=topic=64833.msg744870#msg744870 date=1263664518]

This just adds more cause for the dwendling respect for the Ozen program.  This is classic example of how athletic competition does not build character as much as it reveals it.  The Ozen player failed the test in sportmanship and character...I'm waiting to see how the Ozen administrators handle this situation to see if they too fail the same test.

[/quote]Although you have a legitimate point, the beginning of the boys game that followed showed all the members of both teams coming out and hugging each other to show that the previous sucker punch wasn't indicative of the rest of the players.

I much prefer to dwell on that positive note then simmer on the negative.
[/quote]

That was indeed a positive by the boys, but it doesn't "even the board". 

The negative only simmers if the fire isn't extinguished.  Let's wait and see how the Ozen school officials react.

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="745233" timestamp="1263749986"]
This isn't shocking it's sports some people can't handle themselves Ali from Ozen shouldn't play basketball anymore [b]but boxing should be considered [/b]
[/quote]

Let's not make light of this. This was a pure case of assault and battery. To heck with BISD, where is the police?

[quote name="baddog" post="745316" timestamp="1263756438"]
[quote author=Bucof2010 link=topic=64833.msg745233#msg745233 date=1263749986]
This isn't shocking it's sports some people can't handle themselves Ali from Ozen shouldn't play basketball anymore [b]but boxing should be considered [/b]
[/quote]

Let's not make light of this. This was a pure case of assault and battery. To heck with BISD, where is the police?
[/quote]

it looked like they got in there pretty quick.  it was one sucker punch, not a brawl, and it looked like they did a decent job of keeping things from turning into a free-for-all.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83