BISD sends out press release on Central hoops

[font=Courier]Glad I was able to break it to you first!!!![/font]

BEAUMONT - Beaumont Independent School District Athletic Director Rodney Saveat has appointed Robert Lee to coach  the Central Medical Magnet High School Jaguars Basketball Team for the remainder of the season.  Lee  is handling  the coaching of the team after the veteran boys head basketball coach Calvin Rice was relieved of his duties earlier today.

According to Saveat, Rice has been placed on indefinite suspension with pay from employment at BISD.  Saveat declined any further comment about why Rice was suspended, explaining that 'it is a personnel matter not for public discussion.'

Rice has been head coach at Central since 2000.  He started work at BISD in 1994 as a teacher at Fehl Elementary and also worked several seasons as a baseball and basketball coach at West Brook High School.  The former Lamar University basketball standout has led the team to the playoffs several seasons.  There are 12 more District games left in the current season.

Lee joined BISD in 1977.  The Southwestern University graduate started out as a Vincent Middle School basketball coach and later worked at French as an assistant coach.  He joined the Central Jaguars as an assistant boys basketball coach in 1986.  The Beaumont native is a 1970 graduate of Charlton Pollard High School.

"Coach Lee knows the team well and will be able capitalize on their strengths and help them to improve in areas needing attention.  I am confident that he will help the team gain a competitive edge," Saveat said.

[font=Courier]According to Coach Rice, during the PA Memorial and Westbury Christian game at the YMBL, a young girl asked coach rice if he had ever won a first place trophy. Coach Rice asked the young lady who had sent her over to say that and the girl pointed him out.

Rice then went and had words with the guy. [/font]

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="731847" timestamp="1261014897"]
Based on this story, it looks as though BISD is just using this incident as a tool to get rid of Rice. I think this was way too convenient.
[/quote]yep! thats crazy. IMO all 3 positions will be open after this year.

I just hope Coach Rice will get hired next year at some school in the area.  He's a good coach and is an asset to SETX schools.  You never know what gym he will walk into during the summer.  He's always there supporting his guys.  GOOD LUCK Coach Rice!!!

After reading the news paper and listening to the news, its probably only 50 percent of the real story.  I guess BISD wanted him to just sit there and keep his mouth closed.  Next the guy starts throwing popcorn or skittles, then what?  If his team was not with him and he wasn't on the clock, he should have kept his job.  Discipline him some other way.  Good luck to the boys on the team.  I don't believe he is out of coaching though.  He will resurface somewhere locally.  Once your a coach, its hard to let it go.

[quote name="Big Ford" post="731969" timestamp="1261025081"]
After reading the news paper and listening to the news, its probably only 50 percent of the real story.  I guess BISD wanted him to just sit there and keep his mouth closed.  Next the guy starts throwing popcorn or skittles, then what?  If his team was not with him and he wasn't on the clock, he should have kept his job.  Discipline him some other way.  Good luck to the boys on the team.  I don't believe he is out of coaching though.  He will resurface somewhere locally.  Once your a coach, its hard to let it go.
[/quote]

This is why it getting harder and harder to find men (and women) who will stay in the business. Many who coach basically give it up and stay in the classroom. ...or go into another field.

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="731770" timestamp="1261008810"]
[font=Courier]Glad I was able to break it to you first!!!![/font]

BEAUMONT - Beaumont Independent School District Athletic Director Rodney Saveat has appointed Robert Lee to coach  the Central Medical Magnet High School Jaguars Basketball Team for the remainder of the season.  Lee  is handling  the coaching of the team after the veteran boys head basketball coach Calvin Rice was relieved of his duties earlier today.

According to Saveat, Rice has been placed on indefinite suspension with pay from employment at BISD.  Saveat declined any further comment about why Rice was suspended, explaining that 'it is a personnel matter not for public discussion.'

Rice has been head coach at Central since 2000.  He started work at BISD in 1994 as a teacher at Fehl Elementary and also worked several seasons as a baseball and basketball coach at West Brook High School.  The former Lamar University basketball standout has led the team to the playoffs several seasons.  There are 12 more District games left in the current season.

Lee joined BISD in 1977.  The Southwestern University graduate started out as a Vincent Middle School basketball coach and later worked at French as an assistant coach.  He joined the Central Jaguars as an assistant boys basketball coach in 1986.  The Beaumont native is a 1970 graduate of Charlton Pollard High School.

"Coach Lee knows the team well and will be able capitalize on their strengths and help them to improve in areas needing attention.  I am confident that he will help the team gain a competitive edge," Saveat said.
[/quote]
Actually, I believe  swag broke this first yesterday on the "ask swag" topic.  I tried to verify, but dog gone it, I can't seem to find that post?!?  I got to give props where they're due...almighty  mods please don't ban me.

Guest GCMPats
In this day and age, you better have all your ducks in a row before you relieve a coach/teacher of their duties. There has to be more to the story that has not been brought to light.

Yea they may be using this to do what they have been wanting to do, like I said earlier this has been brewing for a couple of years now. And YES it does has something to do with WHO the unidentified man in the stand is. I think coach Rice needs a little while to regroup and I do think he will resuface again in coaching. Nothing is going on at Central. Coach's Stowers and Rice situations are different. Remember we live in SouthEast Texas, those of you who know coach Stowers knows what I'm speaking of.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder