Dayton vs. Brenham Predictions?

KFDM COOP

[quote name="badndn" post="721039" timestamp="1259618261"]
Brenhams O Line was large. The Center was probably 6' and 220 and he looked like a midget next to the rest of the line. Everyone but the Center was 6'3" or better and pushed 270+.

#90 on defense was a hoss. Only a Sophomore, but very good and huge (6'4" 290+ not exagerating). This kid will be one of the top prospects inthe nation his Senior year.

You can throw on Brenham with the right scheme. We had some success in the passing game, just don't try to go deep all game long because the Safety #81 is a ball hawk.
[/quote]
#90 was a beast and extremely athletic...I agree

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote]You guys that went to both games.... How do the teams match up as far as overall speed?[/quote]

I would say size and speed wise almost identical on an overall average. Honestly if both teams switched jerseys you'd have a hard time noticing in my opinion.

Dayton's D-backs being larger might come into play but honestly #9 was well covered on both TD catches and just flat out won the jump ball and made great catches. Serious threat.

Brenham had a giant number 90 on the d-line and Dayton doesn't have a monster like that but it has more speed and the potential to offer more QB pressure than Brenham will be able to. Also Dayton has a big experienced O-line. But I thought Brenham had excellent pass protection against Angleton as well. The QB got hit hard once on a play that was flagged roughing the passer (it was very close) and got knocked out for a few plays.
1. He is definitely going to get smacked in the mouth (again) at [i]least[/i] twice hard by Dayton this year. It's just gonna happen.
2. it might not matter at all because the backup QB came right in and threw a beautiful touchdown pass to #9

I concur that the kicking game with come into play big. Both teams offenses will be able to move the ball some and have a couple of 20-30 yard gain plays but the equal speed will prevent either from taking them all they way to the house. Both teams have great short field and red zone defenses. I think Angleton got in the redzone 3 different times and walked away with zero points to show for it. This will result in both teams kicking field goals.  I saw Brenham's kicker putting kickoffs out of the endzone (with the wind to his back) so i'd say he has a leg. Dayton's kicker although freshman is I believe 100% on the year for PAT's and field goals with a 44 yard long under his belt.

On paper and from what I've seen both teams match up perfectly. It's gonna be a defensive battle and that's the best kind of game in my opinion. This is highschool football and with two great defenses there is going to be least 3 turnovers. Just depends on who gets the upper hand in this department.

[quote name="Ron Burgundy" post="721048" timestamp="1259619106"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=63088.msg721024#msg721024 date=1259616706]
Hey Mark, yall are gonna have one helluva squad next year, huh?  Dobbins and Bolfing both will be back and we play yall in Montgomery.  Yall gave us all we could handle this year, next years game should be interesting.  I say winner of that game takes the district.  I'm pretty confident that next year when Waller comes to Cub Stadium, we won't have the same result. ;)  Give me Brenham by atleast 21.
[/quote]

Hey, we don't need any Brenham naysayers on here. The only good things to ever come out of Brenham is Limas Sweed and Blue Bell Ice Cream, and some flavors aren't even that good! And how can you even call yourselves the cubs? I've been to Brenham at least 3 times and I still haven't seen one bear!

DAYTON BY 2!!
[/quote]

Well for starters, Blue Bell is the sh!t, Limas Sweed and the whole 02' finalist team was good, The 05' semi finalist team with Jarrett Lee, Brandon Collins, A.J. Edwards, Luke Poehlman, Lester Ward, Sean Sullivan, Ahmad Howard and Kyle Mangan was probably one of the most talented classes ever, Cecil Cooper, Jon Peters (first high school athelete to be on the SI cover), "Birthplace of Texas", "Baseball Capital of Texas" (14 state appearances and 6 state championships)....Anyways, back to football, Give me Brenham by 10 with a late pick 6.

I think another thing worth mentioning is the amount of class and character and heart both teams have. Neither side has a logical argument to say they have the upper hand in this. Both teams pulling come from behind wins shows that neither is going to give up even if bad things start happening to them. Your going to see players giving 100% between whistles and then helping opponents up from piles and giving taps on the helmets\pats on the back afterwards. Also your not going to see unsportsmanlike conduct from either side. Sure hope a bad apple doesn't ruin whats going to be a class act, action packed game to the end.

Watching game film and making notes.Almost 70% Brenham runs and throws to the left side of the offensive line-Under center-straight ahead or run/pitch right.Key shut down the corners,force them to your strength.Gonna complete some passes-don't get beat deep.Now when has Dayton ever been bigger,quicker?As I recall a very fast,huge Brenham team last year got skunked in the first half by another undersized Dayton team.I didn't know young folks lose their memory.I thought it was us old guys.I am a realist as you can see Broncos by 3.Gonna be close unless I'm wrong but watching and predicting how youngsters will respond is very hard.Years of coaching taught me well though.Bronco fan since around 1960.Missed a year before the 69 team played Dunbar.

[quote name="Mark F Barnes" post="720931" timestamp="1259609537"]
[quote author=octfeb link=topic=63088.msg720919#msg720919 date=1259608084]
[quote author=J Creeper link=topic=63088.msg720723#msg720723 date=1259588784]
Brenham wins this one. Dayton will be outclassed and outcoached.
[/quote]OUTCLASSED and OUTCOACHED? Really? Now that was a low blow.These are kids you are talking about.What rock did u slither out from under?
[/quote]

I said this in another thread, concerning a game leading up to this one.

[quote author=Mark F Barnes link=topic=63118.msg720852#msg720852 date=1259601832]
Well if you saw the way some of the Angleton Assistant Coaches conducted themselves on the sidelines, it will shed a little light on the way the players acted. Finis Vanover usually keeps a pretty tidy ship, but there was a lot of that street thug BS going on that really should be left off the field. And that goes for any team, the gridiron is a battlefield, but it is also a place of respect.  I don't expect that in the Dayton Game, I have never seen anything but a class act come out of there.
[/quote]

I meant every word of it. Never seen ANYTHING but a class act come out of Dayton High School. Jerry Stewart is as classy as they come, he's not always a sweetheart, but he's straight up and no nonsense. Here's a good article on him, and a kid who I am really pulling for down the road, because he is just a really great kid, great skills and even better attitude.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/tag/_/name/jerry-stewart

Like I said before, I expect this to be one of the great games of this year, maybe any year. Truckloads of talent are going to take the field on both sides, and it will be the one to see. I met a lot of really great Dayton fans after our loss to Crosby at Leonard Stadium, they gave Waller a beating on the field, but were top shelf fans and players off the field. I have a lot of friends kids playing in this game, and look forward to the show.
[/quote]

nice post...it's mikehoncho approved...

[quote name="mikehoncho" post="721105" timestamp="1259624931"]
[quote author=Mark F Barnes link=topic=63088.msg720931#msg720931 date=1259609537]
[/quote]OUTCLASSED and OUTCOACHED? Really? Now that was a low blow.These are kids you are talking about.What rock did u slither out from under?
[/quote]

[quote author=Mark F Barnes link=topic=63118.msg720852#msg720852 date=1259601832]
Well if you saw the way some of the Angleton Assistant Coaches conducted themselves on the sidelines, it will shed a little light on the way the players acted. Finis Vanover usually keeps a pretty tidy ship, but there was a lot of that street thug BS going on that really should be left off the field. And that goes for any team, the gridiron is a battlefield, but it is also a place of respect.  I don't expect that in the Dayton Game, I have never seen anything but a class act come out of there.
[/quote]

I meant every word of it. Never seen ANYTHING but a class act come out of Dayton High School. Jerry Stewart is as classy as they come, he's not always a sweetheart, but he's straight up and no nonsense. Here's a good article on him, and a kid who I am really pulling for down the road, because he is just a really great kid, great skills and even better attitude.

Like I said before, I expect this to be one of the great games of this year, maybe any year. Truckloads of talent are going to take the field on both sides, and it will be the one to see. I met a lot of really great Dayton fans after our loss to Crosby at Leonard Stadium, they gave Waller a beating on the field, but were top shelf fans and players off the field. I have a lot of friends kids playing in this game, and look forward to the show.
[/quote]

[/quote]\

Are you the same mike honcho that did the Playgirl spread?

[quote name="downgoesfrazier" post="721144" timestamp="1259628936"]
[quote author=mikehoncho link=topic=63088.msg721105#msg721105 date=1259624931]
[quote author=Mark F Barnes link=topic=63088.msg720931#msg720931 date=1259609537]
[/quote]

Well if you saw the way some of the Angleton Assistant Coaches conducted themselves on the sidelines, it will shed a little light on the way the players acted. Finis Vanover usually keeps a pretty tidy ship, but there was a lot of that street thug BS going on that really should be left off the field. And that goes for any team, the gridiron is a battlefield, but it is also a place of respect.  I don't expect that in the Dayton Game, I have never seen anything but a class act come out of there.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]\

Are you the same mike honcho that did the Playgirl spread?
[/quote]

spread my cheeks...but that's neither here nor there...

I was talking to the women in my office who have kids playing for Waller.  They told me that Waller was really able to run the ball on Brenham and how it's a big rivalry game, etc.  Was it just an off game or were they running a good scheme and taking advantage of a breakdown in the defense??

I've seen many of you site the Crosby game from this year as a reason that Dayton is "not as good as last year."  I assure you this year's version of Dayton is every bit as good as last year's team with super soph Gemal Fowler really starting to come into his own.  Dayton really laid an egg in the Crosby game with turnovers but the final score is not an accurate determination of where Dayton is right now (or really then either as I've never seen one team recover 9 fumbles and the other 0 in one game). 

[quote name="rollinac" post="721510" timestamp="1259683708"]
I was talking to the women in my office who have kids playing for Waller.  They told me that Waller was really able to run the ball on Brenham and how it's a big rivalry game, etc.  Was it just an off game or were they running a good scheme and taking advantage of a breakdown in the defense??

I've seen many of you site the Crosby game from this year as a reason that Dayton is "not as good as last year."  I assure you this year's version of Dayton is every bit as good as last year's team with super soph Gemal Fowler really starting to come into his own.  Dayton really laid an egg in the Crosby game with turnovers but the final score is not an accurate determination of where Dayton is right now (or really then either as I've never seen one team recover 9 fumbles and the other 0 in one game).  
[/quote]

I see you've been drinking the kool-aid.... welcome to the good side. ;D

I feel like you can really just throw the waller game out, just like I feel like you could throw the crosby game out. Gamal has definitely grown into a CONSISTENT playmaker. Reyes has been a bright spot also. Now that they've had a few playoff games to get their feet wet..... it's time to play like veterans. I believe they will.

Haha  :P :P :P  I've kept my player critical comments to a minimum this year!!!  I would prefer X Baldwin in the backfield with Ploch and Fowler in the slot and Frank on the outside.  I know we feature the slot receivers but having that burner outside could really open things up underneath for Ploch and Fowler.  But I always will defer my opinions to CS because he sees the guys everyday in practice and has weighed all the options and will put the best team on the field.  The way Frank is going he may rush for 1,000 yards after never taking a snap at running back during the entire regular season!!  Not to mention that Delasbour is a stud at rb as well when he doesn't fumble and we haven't seen him there since the Crosby game.  That being said the limiting of the two way player has really paid off lately.

[quote name="rollinac" post="721532" timestamp="1259684974"]
Haha  :P :P :P  I've kept my player critical comments to a minimum this year!!!  I would prefer X Baldwin in the backfield with Ploch and Fowler in the slot and Frank on the outside.  I know we feature the slot receivers but having that burner outside could really open things up underneath for Ploch and Fowler.  But I always will defer my opinions to CS because he sees the guys everyday in practice and has weighed all the options and will put the best team on the field.  The way Frank is going he may rush for 1,000 yards after never taking a snap at running back during the entire regular season!!  Not to mention that Delasbour is a stud at rb as well when he doesn't fumble and we haven't seen him there since the Crosby game.  [b]That being said the limiting of the two way player has really paid off lately.[/b]
[/quote]

During those tough stretches where the defense can't get off the field that has been huge in my opinion... and will be going forward.... hopefully farther forward than Dec. 5  ;D

Frank has a little more tackle breaking ability than Baldwin in my opinion.

[quote name="rollinac" post="721510" timestamp="1259683708"]
I was talking to the women in my office who have kids playing for Waller.  They told me that Waller was really able to run the ball on Brenham and how it's a big rivalry game, etc.  Was it just an off game or were they running a good scheme and taking advantage of a breakdown in the defense??

I've seen many of you site the Crosby game from this year as a reason that Dayton is "not as good as last year."  I assure you this year's version of Dayton is every bit as good as last year's team with super soph Gemal Fowler really starting to come into his own.  Dayton really laid an egg in the Crosby game with turnovers but the final score is not an accurate determination of where Dayton is right now (or really then either as I've never seen one team recover 9 fumbles and the other 0 in one game). 
[/quote]

It depends who's running the ball...Dobbins had 240 yards against us, but Montgomery only had like 260 yards total and completed 2 passes.  Somehow we shut Gilbert down when we played Huntsville.  Angleton ran on us, cuz well, they're Angleton...They will get rushing yards on anybody.  I heard PNG could run the ball and we held them to like 50 yards.  The Waller game was a fluke and all their yards came from 2 70+ yard runs.  Other than that, they didn't do anything.  If teams run, expect 8 or 9 in the box.

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="721543" timestamp="1259685928"]

It depends who's running the ball...Dobbins had 240 yards against us, but Montgomery only had like 260 yards total and completed 2 passes.  Somehow we shut Gilbert down when we played Huntsville.  Angleton ran on us, cuz well, they're Angleton...They will get rushing yards on anybody.  [b]I heard PNG could run the ball and we held them to like 50 yards.  The Waller game was a fluke and all their yards came from 2 70+ yard runs.  Other than that, they didn't do anything.  If teams run, expect 8 or 9 in the box.[/b][/quote]

sounds familiar. I'm interested to see the pass defenses in this game.

[quote name="dayton" post="721568" timestamp="1259687583"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=63088.msg721557#msg721557 date=1259687053]
Ok thanks...lol, good we won't have to see him next year, though i'm sure we'll have plenty of other things to deal with.
[/quote]

:D i believe so
[/quote]

No doubt, we have lots of sophomores getting experience this year. There are several kids who will be starting as sopomores next year as well. To be honest this year was my only concern because it goes up from here. The next 5-6 years are gonna be great.

[quote name="bronco1" post="721603" timestamp="1259689888"]
[quote author=dayton link=topic=63088.msg721568#msg721568 date=1259687583]
Ok thanks...lol, good we won't have to see him next year, though i'm sure we'll have plenty of other things to deal with.
[/quote]

[/quote]

No doubt, we have lots of sophomores getting experience this year. There are several kids who will be starting as sopomores next year as well. To be honest this year was my only concern because it goes up from here. The next 5-6 years are gonna be great.
[/quote]

I'm pretty jacked about all that's on the way up!! should be fun..... I don't want to think about that for a while though.

[quote name="bronco1" post="721603" timestamp="1259689888"]
[quote author=dayton link=topic=63088.msg721568#msg721568 date=1259687583]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Brenham just got youth football about 5 or 6 years ago, so those kids are just now getting into high school.  We'll be good for years to come as well.  So I guess you can pencil this in for an annual rivalry.  Ty Schlottmann(#8) is a junior, Derek Edwards(#9) is a junior, Troy Green(#20) is a sophmore, Malcolm Brown(#90) is a sophmore and lots of others...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476