Dayton vs. Brenham Predictions?

KFDM COOP

[quote name="Cougtalk" post="720045" timestamp="1259467995"]
Ok I need a speed report a true one... because im trying to make an informed decision.

This is gonna sound funny but because of realitive size equality, i'll go with Brenham if thier fast, Honestly from what ive seen of Brenham they remind me of Dayton.... no seriously, kinda wierd but they look alot alike, i.e. VERY GOOD DEFENSES, and GOOD individual preformers who play both ways.

Key to the Game Keeping Ploch, and Franks Fresh for the offense. No lie I'd Be scared of a Ploch, Franks read option.
[/quote]

Well...of course, I'm partial but I also tell it like I see it  :P
I think Dayton is faster, plain and simple.  Brenham did a great job today with throwing the ball (after half-time that is) but I didn't see any speed that impressed me.  And I agree with ya some....I think Dayton and Brenham are similar in several ways but there are also some notable differences- speed and size being just 2.
Lets see what others think....

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defensively Dayton has one of, if not the quickest front 3 d-lines around.  The MLB rotation has kept them fresh and Baxter, Delasbour, and Ripkowski are studs and play fast as well.  Ballpoint has come into his own at outside backer....if he could've just settled in there say like 3 years ago but...the secondary has seen marked improvement and may see some nickel packages this week.  Truth be told that with all of Dayton's offense in recent years, Stewarts bread and butter has always been a stout defense.

This game is going to be a battle to the last second. Two head coaches with great schemes, and truckload of great athletes on both sides. First and for most Dayton has to get pressure on Ty Schlottmann, if they don't it's going to be a long day. We shut down their offense with pressure, but don't think knocking Schlottmann out of the game would be a sure thing, because Brenham has depth, Senior Michael Buro is the back and he would start on most any other team. H proved his worth by coming in and throwing a TD pass in the third qtr. Brenham is 2 deep in all the key positions. They can keep fresh legs on the field. The history between these two teams will fuel some players, two step up.

Dayton has a lot of speed, and even a bigger heart, this will be won or lost at the line of scrimmage. Dayton has a quick swarming D-line they need all they can get. This will be one to tune in to, I may make the trip just to see this one. These are the two strongest teams left in the playoffs as far as I am concerned, this one will be big for both teams and coaches.

But I am leaning towards our district, Cubs by a touchdown 21-14.

[quote name="Mark F Barnes" post="720134" timestamp="1259475188"]
This game is going to be a battle to the last second. Two head coaches with great schemes, and truckload of great athletes on both sides. First and for most Dayton has to get pressure on Ty Schlottmann, if they don't it's going to be a long day. We shut down their offense with pressure, but don't think knocking Schlottmann out of the game would be a sure thing, because Brenham has depth, Senior Michael Buro is the back and he would start on most any other team. H proved his worth by coming in and throwing a TD pass in the third qtr. Brenham is 2 deep in all the key positions. They can keep fresh legs on the field. The history between these two teams will fuel some players, two step up.

Dayton has a lot of speed, and even a bigger heart, this will be won or lost at the line of scrimmage. Dayton has a quick swarming D-line they need all they can get. This will be one to tune in to, I may make the trip just to see this one. These are the two strongest teams left in the playoffs as far as I am concerned, this one will be big for both teams and coaches.

But I am leaning towards our district, Cubs by a touchdown 21-14.
[/quote]

Good post.  It could go either way in my opinion.  Schlotman was really rattled in that first half against Angleton but finally got it together in the second half.  I was really impressed with Brenhams defense on those goal line stands.  I think that was the game winner in my opinion.  I am not worried about Dayton's defense in this one.  It seems Dayton get's scored on one or two times and it's like they get it figured out.  It's the offense, and which offense will show up.  Dayton's offense cannot come out flat, period.

[quote name="Cougtalk" post="720045" timestamp="1259467995"]
Ok I need a speed report a true one... because im trying to make an informed decision.

This is gonna sound funny but because of realitive size equality, i'll go with Brenham if thier fast, Honestly from what ive seen of Brenham they remind me of Dayton.... no seriously, kinda wierd but they look alot alike, i.e. VERY GOOD DEFENSES, and GOOD individual preformers who play both ways.

Key to the Game Keeping Ploch, and Franks Fresh for the offense. No lie I'd Be scared of a Ploch, Franks read option.
[/quote]

Yeah they may be similar but as of now, Dayton doesn't have anyone body goin both ways besides one player and he gets rotated.. LoL and you are not lyin when you say you'd be scared to see the Ploch & Franks read option (deadly).. now the read option - pitch w/ two backs is something we havent seen this year but i would love to see that pulled out this week..

Would like to see Ploch qb X.Baldwin/Frank duo rb's in the backfield on a few mis-direction run plays/halfback pass.RB screen was there all night vs.ElCampo.Gotta go w/Bronco "D" only allowed-33 pts=last 6 gms.-Cubs allow 92=last 6 gms.Broncos have 1,363 more tot.yds in 13 gms.Now biggest factor-Coaching-14 yrs.playoffs in a row.And Coach Stewart's ballcap-Well I saw him wearing it along time ago @ Cleburne when he took the Yellowjackets to the state title game.I lived nearby in Alvarado for  few years. ;D

Winner faces winner of Kerr.Tivy/PL Calhoun-Bronco win could get interesting w/possible Semi-final against none other than Tivy AGAIN.And Sulphur Springs still alive coming out of the left bracket.Is another trip to Georgetown/San Antonio on the horizon?That's decided by Coach Stewart's staff and the Broncos but focused on the Cubs.Play 4 qtrs.like the Waller gm.Likes the chances.

Ya, Waller beat us but I could say the same about the Dayton vs Crosby game.  I know Crosby is alot better than Waller, but there's no way Dayton should have lost by 28, much less be shut out.  That shouldn't happen to a back-to-back regional champ.  I'm just trying to say...you can't be perfect every game.

[quote name="rollinac" post="720422" timestamp="1259530286"]
No way....leave Ploch in at receiver and sub him in the Wildcat when we need to run the ball.  10 gives us the best chance to win and is the better QB.  If the Angleton game yesterday didn't show you anything about needing balance to the offense then I don't know what to say.
[/quote] Don't know if I agree with that or not. Against elite teams "10" seems to struggle although he's improving, when the pressure is on he gets indecisive and isn't big enough to power himself out of a jam like Payton P. can. Also the defence swats alot of his passes down. When Ploch took over in the forth he totally changed the complexion of the game (200 yds of offense) and he's always a threat to break off a big run. For my money Ploch is the key in post season.

I spoke with a coach from Dayton at the Angleton v. Brenham game yesterday.  Very nice guy.  They run a very classy camp over there at Dayton.  I doubt we will see any of the poor sportsmanship we saw from Angleton at the conclusion of yesterday's game.  As far as Brenham and Dayton I think there are a few factors.  One is that Brenham wants revenge, they have about the same team as last year while this year's Dayton team is not as good as last years (although that is not a knock against Dayton, Green and Dugat are hard to replace).  I think the whole game boils down to whether or not Brenham's offensive line will protect against Dayton's defensive front.  If Schlottman has time to throw the ball, Brenham will put up the points.  I don't believe that Dayton's secondary can play with Brenham's recievers.  Derek Edwards is a big guy and Terrell Reese is a Utah commit, who has great hands.  Dayton's offense I think will have a tough time if they don't focus on the pass.  If Brenham can contain the speed of Angleton, that makes me think they can contains Dayton's run.  I've never seen a team as fast as Angleton. Should be a good one but I think the Cubs are just a little more balanced.

Brenham 24  Dayton 14

Man, Angleton was the fastest team that I've seen in awhile.  There was definetely some bad attitudes on that team as well.  I observed one of the guys giving the Brenham fans the number 1 sign on the kickoffs and I believe he was the one that was ejected at the end of the game, about as unclassy as one could be.  Couldn't believe the Angleton coaches would put up with that crap.  Anyways, I would give the edge to Brenham with their offense and upper classmen but I wouldn't count Dayton out at all, going to be a barn burner.  Sticking with my earlier score.  Dayton edges it out.

[quote name="7mary3" post="720464" timestamp="1259535640"]
Man, Angleton was the fastest team that I've seen in awhile.  There was definetely some bad attitudes on that team as well.  I observed one of the guys giving the Brenham fans the number 1 sign on the kickoffs and I believe he was the one that was ejected at the end of the game, about as unclassy as one could be.  Couldn't believe the Angleton coaches would put up with that crap.  Anyways, I would give the edge to Brenham with their offense and upper classmen but I wouldn't count Dayton out at all, going to be a barn burner.  Sticking with my earlier score.  Dayton edges it out.
[/quote]

Well I think you may have hit the nail on the head with Angleton. Awesome athletes, one dimensional and when the going got rough the real colors came out. Too bad, I thought they had what it took, but I was wrong. Go Brenham!

Gotta grab me a beach towel :'(You gotta be kiddin;Was Angleton's game to lose.Over 300 yds. @ the half? :oGambling beat em-Period.Think Angleton was a bit cocky,got over confident,made mistakes,got down where they needed the passing game and didn't have it.For those naysayers well just underestimate what the Broncos will bring.As for as the QB-A fresh mix w/Ploch on 3rd & 4th dwns.For the Defense against the pass-Bring the heat from the right side on the QB as he's a southpaw-make him throw moving to the opposite side-hardest throw to accurately make.#12 can win a jump ball contest ;)Go ballpoint ;D

Dayton's defense is really tough against the run as they usually are.  The pass defense has improved every game this year.  It's not all about speed and Dayton's defense is really really quick.  Dayton didn't play very well against El Campo and escaped.  I would expect they'll have it together this week.  Gotta find more info before I make a prediction.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder