Home-School High School Interest

Chester86

I am curious to find out how much interest there might be in forming a high school, home-school baseball team.  There are several teams around the Houston area, and there is a Home-School World Series in both Texas and nationally in Florida.  If formed, we would start out playing smaller public schools and would constitute a lot of traveling.  I have been asked several times to post this, and well.... there is no football on tonight, baseball season is over and my wife is watching a cooking show so I have the time now.

It would be a team of home-schooled kids.  Team sports are the hardest thing to organize.  A lot of home-schooled kids will run track, cross-country or play individual sports such as tennis or golf, but team sports opportunities are not there.  In the Houston area they have a lot of co-ops that band together and make teams, and basketball and baseball are the most popular.  I'm just trying to see if there is enough interest for this area.  I have three boys, and the decision gets tough about enrolling them in school or just getting a team together.

[quote name="Ron Burgundy" post="720689" timestamp="1259556974"]
Isn't being on a team and working with other students the things one sacrifices when the parent/child decides to be home schooled? I can understand if the kid is a phenomenal figure skater or gymnast, but if If you want to play team sports [b]go to school[/b].
[/quote]

Your post was very helpful to the man asking the question. What an idiot. Either add to the thread or just keep your mouth closed. The guy was asking a legitimate question.

[quote name="Ron Burgundy" post="721054" timestamp="1259619531"]
[quote author=td link=topic=62988.msg720759#msg720759 date=1259594819]
[quote author=Ron Burgundy link=topic=62988.msg720689#msg720689 date=1259556974]
Isn't being on a team and working with other students the things one sacrifices when the parent/child decides to be home schooled? I can understand if the kid is a phenomenal figure skater or gymnast, but if If you want to play team sports [b]go to school[/b].
[/quote]

Your post was very helpful to the man asking the question. What an idiot. Either add to the thread or just keep your mouth closed. The guy was asking a legitimate question.
[/quote]

There is no reason to call anyone an idiot. This is the most ironic concept I've ever seen. You would be taking a bunch of homeschooled kids and putting together a team. If you want to be on a team, why be homeschooled in the first place?
[/quote]

When you make idiotic comments that's what you get. If you want to start your own thread fine but why come on here and post something that has nothing to do with the question asked in the thread. Using your train of thought the only reason to go to school is to be on a team. This will be my last post to you on this subject. I refuse to have a battle of wits with someone that is unarmed.

I see no problem, the big Parkland home school originating in Sulphur, LA has all kinds of team sport activities.

Home schools do a lot of group activities--concerts, attend college games, go out to dine, play all kinds of sports.  They are expanding team sports across the USA at this time.

Have you looked at their academic GP levels when they attend college, they are exceptional!

I think it would be a great idea if you have the kids to put a team together. I was home schooled and didn't have the chance to play past pony league baseball. I know where I live there are several kids that are Highschool age and love to play and are really talented ball players.
  Let me know how its going or if you need some kids i will see what I can help you out with.

Ron, I hesitate to answer you because I don't want this thread to become a debate about the validity of home-schooling.  It is a decision my wife and I made, and I didn't want the discussion to denigrate against that.  I will explain ever so briefly that there is an increasing number of families that are making this decision.  I have three boys, and I want to provide them with all available opportunities for sports.  It would be a viable option to start a home-schooled select team, but again, I need to know if the interest is out there.
    TD, I really appreciate the support.  Ron, I was hesitant to respond because of the reasons mentioned above.  I was unaware of the home-schooled teams out of Sulpher, and if I don't get a response that is definitely something to look into.  If we were able to get something going, we would start out playing smaller schools, and just see where the talent takes us.  The home-schooled team out of Conroe has won the national home-school world series if I am not mistaken.  Ron, it might turn out that I do put my two younger ones in school, but if this option becomes available I doubt that would happen.  This was just a fishing thread, and was simply meant to gauge the interest.  I will work on getting this posted through HEART, Grace Co-op, and any of the other home-schooling organizations I can think of locally.

I think this is a good discussion for all to ponder.  I went to Parkland's HS Graduation one time at the Lake Charles Civic Center.  I was blown away 800+ in cap and gowns!  The fantastic speaker's were all Doctor's and other Professional people WHO WERE HS GRADS FROM HOMESCHOOLING.

• 2 months later...
There will be an organizational meeting Monday, February 22, 2010 at 3:00 p.m., at GTB.  This is simply a planning meeting to answer questions and see how many players are interested.  GTB is located behind the fields at the Bridge City Little League off of FM 1442.  If you have any questions please feel free to call me at (409) 550-1598.  Home-schoolers from 7th to 12th grade are eligible.

Tim Bean

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder