coach of the year goes to who this year

skipper

Maybe we forget the wins/losses and give it to the Head Coach of Chester for putting the kids first and making the decision to forfeit the remaining two games for the sake of his players. I hate the whole "Coach of the Year" crap. It's too hard of a pick to make because there are just too many variables. Sure, Faircloth may be the reason for the turnaround at PN-G but I'm sure he isn't the only reason. Could be a bit of talent by the players as well. I think Credeur is a great coach at Lumberton but he didn't have the talent pool this year that he has had. Switch the two around...Faircloth at Lumberton/Credeur at PN-G and you just might have the same outcome. I don't care how good of a coach you are, you will not win without some degree of talent on the field. Look at Steve Spurrier. A great coach but not nearly as successful since leaving the "happy recruiting grounds" of Florida. Show me a coach with a dwindling roster and inexperienced players who breaks .500 and that will be my "Coach of the Year" nominee.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="LR1969" post="700735" timestamp="1257613476"]
Maybe we forget the wins/losses and give it to the Head Coach of Chester for putting the kids first and making the decision to forfeit the remaining two games for the sake of his players. I hate the whole "Coach of the Year" crap. It's too hard of a pick to make because there are just too many variables. Sure, Faircloth may be the reason for the turnaround at PN-G but I'm sure he isn't the only reason. Could be a bit of talent by the players as well. I think Credeur is a great coach at Lumberton but he didn't have the talent pool this year that he has had. Switch the two around...Faircloth at Lumberton/Credeur at PN-G and you just might have the same outcome. I don't care how good of a coach you are, you will not win without some degree of talent on the field. Look at Steve Spurrier. A great coach but not nearly as successful since leaving the "happy recruiting grounds" of Florida. Show me a coach with a dwindling roster and inexperienced players who breaks .500 and that will be my "Coach of the Year" nominee.
[/quote]

It is just difficult to not want to reckognize your own coach if he is indeed a class act.  But i doubt any coach (with exception to WOS) would want to be named coach of the year unless he had a winning season.  Then after he retires, you can name a stadium after him.  ;)

Brandon Faircloth took a team from 3-6 and turned them into a 10-0 team in a single season. You can't top that. Larry Neumann took a PARTIAL team from day 1 and played the likes of Friendswood .. W.O.Stark .. Waller ..etc. and has a ton of injuries on btoh sides of the ball and even until the last game has kids hobbling on ancd off the field and still fine a way to go 4-3 in District play and into the playoffs. You would have to be around and see whats really happened with this team to overcome so much adversity and injuries, everyone writing this team off and they would hear nothing of it. These guys played in the mud, rain, beat up and  4 different QB's. My hat goes off to Coach Neumann and staff for a tremendous job having these boys ready and playing with so much heart. My vote is as follows:

Larry Neumann  Coach of the Year

Brandon Fairthcloth a close 2nd

Guest GoStangs
Not saying anything negative about Nederland or Coach Neumann -- I think he's done an admirable job with what he's been dealt with this year -- but would he even be mentioned in this conversation if 4 teams were not going to the playoffs?

[quote name="bulldogdad55" post="700796" timestamp="1257618167"]
Brandon Faircloth took a team from 3-6 and turned them into a 10-0 team in a single season. You can't top that. Larry Neumann took a PARTIAL team from day 1 and played the likes of Friendswood .. W.O.Stark .. Waller ..etc. and has a ton of injuries on btoh sides of the ball and even until the last game has kids hobbling on ancd off the field and still fine a way to go 4-3 in District play and into the playoffs. You would have to be around and see whats really happened with this team to overcome so much adversity and injuries, everyone writing this team off and they would hear nothing of it. These guys played in the mud, rain, beat up and  4 different QB's. My hat goes off to Coach Neumann and staff for a tremendous job having these boys ready and playing with so much heart. My vote is as follows:
Larry Neumann  Coach of the Year
Brandon Fairthcloth a close 2nd
[/quote]oh, PNG did not play in the mud, rain and have injuries? Come on, man, and get real! He took a team that had to learn everything new and won.  Glad there are some Nederland fans (not you) with good sense! Faircloth first; Jaguars coach second.

[quote name="GoStangs" post="700807" timestamp="1257619386"]
Not saying anything negative about Nederland or Coach Neumann -- I think he's done an admirable job with what he's been dealt with this year -- but would he even be mentioned in this conversation if 4 teams were not going to the playoffs?
[/quote]

Well, we are in 3rd so what does the fourth team have to do with anything?

Two changes to my original list:

My picks for coach of the year for each SETX district:

21-5A  Craig Stump, West Brook
19-4A  Kevin Flanigan, Crosby
20-4A  Brandon Faircloth, PNG
21-3A  Bobby McGallion, Silsbee
22-3A  Bob Jones, Shepherd
22-2A  Jack Alverez, Kirbyville
23-2A  Tony Valastro, East Chambers
23-1A  Alex Davis, Colmesneil

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="700841" timestamp="1257622007"]

21-5A   Craig Stump, West Brook
19-4A   Kevin Flanigan, Crosby
[/quote]
Bump

Coach Bob Jones down at Shepherd has won almost twice as much games in his first year at Shepherd than Shepherd has won in the last 3 years combined. He came extremly close to bringing Shepherd there first playoff birth in 10 years, and would of been only the 5th time in school history! He's changed the  school's and community's spirit about pirate football. He's brought the winning Spirit back to Shepherd and has got the entire community believing we can be winners again.

He gets my vote for sure. We cannot thank him enough!

my vote for "COACH OF THE YEAR"  goes to Coach Owens.   (WOS)  you will always find Coach Owens on the top row of the bleachers,  he refuses to use the normal electrical equipment that the other coaches use to communicate with.  he prefers to just shout his instruction to the players, from the top row of the bleachers.  Coach Hooks will tell you that he gives all the credit for his success, to the advice and play calling to Coach Owens. thank you Coach Owens for "ALWAYS BEING THERE".

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="700841" timestamp="1257622007"]

21-5A   Craig Stump, West Brook
19-4A   Kevin Flanigan, Crosby
[/quote]Alexis Davis from Colmesneil when Evadale beat them? Come on give Evadale some credit!!!!

[quote name="CMurder75" post="700948" timestamp="1257628236"]
Coach Bob Jones down at Shepherd has won almost twice as much games in his first year at Shepherd
[/quote]
I do indeed congratulate Shepherd and Coach Jones, but Coach of the Year is not based on most improved.  22 3A coach of the year should go to the coach who won and kept a good program good.  My vote is Ricky Tullos of Cleveland, followed closely by Barbay of Coldspring.

[quote name="Rebel Yeller" post="697155" timestamp="1257370728"]
While I can somewhat see Colmesneil's Davis winning the award. I would be remiss if I did not at least make a case for Evadale's Mark Williams.

Williams who won the award last year took a 1A squad that lost 10 seniors off the district championship team that went 7-4 and molded the 2009 version into a team that is 9-0 and one win away from not only a perfect district record, but a perfect regular season record. Only two other schools even have an opportunity to complete the perfect season trick.

Williams had to replace the 1A player of the year at running back, his quarterback, his fullback, several recievers, all of his defensive back field, an all district inside linebacker, and two all distirct defensive and offensive linemen.

Williams with this team has guided the Rebels into the playoffs for four straight years and has built a solid 1A program that will likely be state ranked in 2010 with the split division system and the return of every offensive and defensive linemen, all but one linebacker, his quarterback, fullback and back up tailback. Not to mention that once again the Rebels will have a fresh group of players coming up from the JV who have gone 6-1 this season.

I believe that Mark Williams is a class act and deserving of the Coach of the Year nod in 1A once again in 2009.
[/quote]

Amen........

I sure hope the people that actually choose coach of the year are smarter than aggiesarewe. Evadale won the game. Coach of the Year in 23a is not a multiple choice question. You already know the answer!
[move][/move][size=14pt][size=18pt][/size][/size][b][/b][move][color=blue]COACH WILLIAMS OF EVADALE[/color][/move]

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="700651" timestamp="1257608569"]
[quote author=78Stang link=topic=61840.msg699984#msg699984 date=1257568987]
So are trying to say that Dan has not done anything this year? I recall that the Mustangs beat Neuman's bulldogs, Huckaby"s bobcats and Crouch's bears. Just some of the coaches that have been nominated as "Coach of the Year"
[/quote]

This is just another WOS area post that has to nominate their own.  I did see where COOP crossed the boundaries.   8)
But as nicely as I can put this, if you guys at WOS could learn how to be proud of your accomplishments and at the same time keep them in perspective, you might get some outside the city limits respect. Respect is earned, not solicited.

[/quote]

just admit it no matter what we do you will never respect us.  so we dont need ur respect 8) oh and ill help u with ur reply, "typical arrogant post by another wos poster"  there i did it for you

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83