coach of the year goes to who this year

skipper

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not taking away from coach davis in colmesneil because i know they have really turned around but i think coach harper deserves coach of the year in 23 1a because he came in to a extremely down team and brought out the best in many kids there and will bring it out in the rest of the kids that show back up. He has a way and style that many wish to have. even though theyre not in the playoffs you have to take a serious look at what he has done for the town of burkeville.

p.s. im not from burkeville either im from evadale

Guest checkmate
I have always said that Coach Harper (and Coach Barbay) is one of those coaches that goes beyond "coaching". In other words, he takes a very average player and with his knowledge and style makes him a great player. Harper has been doing that 30+ years. I remember back in the 80's, Burkeville had a team once with 11 players (yes, a total of 11 players) and that team went 9-1 and went to the Semi-Finals. He is an absolutely amazing coach that will one day be in the Texas High School Hall of Fame. What he has done for the Mustangs this year is incredible if you compare last year to this one. To add to that, he has the town believing again in their team. It is a new attitude....and Harper deserves much of the credit........thanks dascoon..you brought back a ton of memories....good luck to the Rebs on Friday.

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="697432" timestamp="1257387606"]
PNG beats Central and Nederland loses Friday , Coach Faircloth no doubt. If Nederland wins , he splits with Coach Nuemann.
[/quote]

I have to disagree. Although Nederland has had injuries to the QB, PNG has had several injuries to there Offensive line. We have had a make shift offensive line all year. Our starting safety has been out the past couple games.

Faircloth hands down no matter the outcome Friday Night.

I think that coach Huckabay from OF has done a heck of a job taking a 1-9 team last year and turning them into a playoff contender, and he got the job a month before 2 a days. He has the whole town of OF believing again, I think he needs some credit as well.

[quote name="PNGFan" post="697764" timestamp="1257432684"]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=61840.msg697432#msg697432 date=1257387606]
PNG beats Central and Nederland loses Friday , Coach Faircloth no doubt. If Nederland wins , he splits with Coach Nuemann.
[/quote]

I have to disagree. Although Nederland has had injuries to the QB, PNG has had several injuries to there Offensive line. We have had a make shift offensive line all year. Our starting safety has been out the past couple games.

Faircloth hands down no matter the outcome Friday Night.
[/quote]

Could not agree more, injuries are tough to overcome, and nederland has done a great job to get back into the playoff race. But Faircloth (imo) will be voted unanimous by his fellow coaches, coach of the year

Guest billy madison
coach mark williams is an outstanding coach so i think he should be coach of the year seeing as his team is one win away from a perfect season and a district championship.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="696831" timestamp="1257352931"]
My picks for coach of the year for each SETX district:

21-5A     jury still out
19-4A   Kevin Flanigan, Crosby
20-4A  Brandon Faircloth, PNG
21-3A  Bobby McGallion, Silsbee
22-3A  Bob Jones, Shepherd
22-2A  Curtis Barbay, Newton
23-2A  Tony Valastro, East Chambers
23-1A  Alex Davis, Colmesneil
[/quote] I would have to go with Alverez for 22-2A. No returning starters on off and 4 on def and still compete at a high level losing only to Jasper and WOS in OT on a contraversal call at the end.

[quote name="bh89-2" post="697203" timestamp="1257373662"]
[quote author=skipper link=topic=61840.msg696771#msg696771 date=1257350669]
i say the coach from PN-G super job for a first year coach in this part of the country
[/quote]

After watching PNG play BH the first game, I would have to agree.  PNG is a MUCH better team now than when they played game 1.  That's what good coaches do. 

I saw Crosby's Flannigan mentioned, however Crosby has been the benifactor of other's misfortune.  I don't see it as Crosby doing anyting different or improved to win over Dayton or BH.  Flannigan even admitted this in the Baytown Sun after the BH loss.

[/quote]I would disagree on Flannigan.  The fact still remains, [b]outright district champs[/b]. If you had see how they played in the first 2 games, and then look at them now, you would see how good of a job he and his coaching staff have done. Yes Dayton and Barbers Hill turned the ball over a bunch but some of that is accounted for good D.  When in need of a win, the D stepped up getting 2 key interceptions in the Barbers Hill game, and 1 in GP with 5 staring D out. The offense has been moving the ball well and putting points on the board..........In my mind he has to be the Coach of the year in 19-4A!!!!

Guest ECBucFan
Hard to make a full evaluation with a game + playoffs remaining. IMHO, COY should be named [i]after[/i] the playoffs, for the most accurate decision.

[quote name="hitman009" post="698759" timestamp="1257519521"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=61840.msg696831#msg696831 date=1257352931]
My picks for coach of the year for each SETX district:

21-5A     jury still out
19-4A   Kevin Flanigan, Crosby
20-4A  Brandon Faircloth, PNG
21-3A  Bobby McGallion, Silsbee
22-3A  Bob Jones, Shepherd
22-2A  Curtis Barbay, Newton
23-2A  Tony Valastro, East Chambers
23-1A  Alex Davis, Colmesneil
[/quote] I would have to go with Alverez for 22-2A. No returning starters on off and 4 on def and still compete at a high level losing only to Jasper and WOS in OT on a contraversal call at the end.
[/quote]

how was it controversal?  He didnt get in, get over it!  :D  consider this thread jacked  ;D

[quote name="downgoesfrazier" post="699519" timestamp="1257563322"]
Dayton lost the two best players to ever play in Dayton and will probably finish the regular season 8-2.  I'll take Jerry Stewart and since we're finishing the decade I'll take Jerry Stewart for coach of the decade. 
[/quote]

I don't know all of Dayton's history but I think D. Pearson was certainly as good as Dugat and Green. 

I gotta give my vote to PNG's new head coach or the coach at Colmesneil. The Bulldogs are 6-0 in district and playing tonight for their first district title since the 1960's. They also beat Hull-Daisetta for the first time in school history this year. Playoffs already locked up, and with their big school draw, they avoid Mart and Lovelady and have a chance at beating Reisel in the opening round of the playoffs. A playoff victory or even keeping it close has to lockup the award for the Colmesneil coach. Great job turning that program around and making the playoffs.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83