E Texas Rut

Lefty99

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="ranchhand 79" post="710943" timestamp="1258496636"]
Well, I killed a pretty good 8 point on a does tail Sunday morning in Newton County, so I guess I can honestly say the rut is on. Also, my dad had a real good buck chasing a doe all around him all morning long. They are not touching the corn so everybody can guess what's on their minds.
[/quote]

Oats?

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="710975" timestamp="1258499410"]
[quote author=ranchhand 79 link=topic=61839.msg710943#msg710943 date=1258496636]
Well, I killed a pretty good 8 point on a does tail Sunday morning in Newton County, so I guess I can honestly say the rut is on. Also, my dad had a real good buck chasing a doe all around him all morning long. They are not touching the corn so everybody can guess what's on their minds.
[/quote]

Oats?
[/quote]

No.......acorns!!!

[quote name="ST413" post="711036" timestamp="1258505362"]
[quote author=Bucof2010 link=topic=61839.msg710975#msg710975 date=1258499410]
[quote author=ranchhand 79 link=topic=61839.msg710943#msg710943 date=1258496636]
[/quote]

Oats?
[/quote]

No.......acorns!!!
[/quote]

O thought they might be feelin their oats lol

we found our first scrape saturday.  i'm not sure why they're starting so late.  we went back sunday and it was much larger.  i had a borderline 8-point come out in front of me saturday morning, and actually had does come out to him.  he seemed much more interested in the corn on the ground than he did in chasing the does. 

[quote name="bullets13" post="717339" timestamp="1259126348"]
we found our first scrape saturday.  i'm not sure why they're starting so late.  we went back sunday and it was much larger.  i had a borderline 8-point come out in front of me saturday morning, and actually had does come out to him.  he seemed much more interested in the corn on the ground than he did in chasing the does. 
[/quote]Where are you hunting?? Here a cpl of miles West of Lumberton the main Rut is OVER no question about it, I go EVERY day, have been finding and watching scrapes since late Aug, just yesterday I looked at 5-6 and none have been worked since before the rain 2+ weeks ago. We too have taken 6 does to date and all have been bred, one of which was taken the first week and had a 2-3" fetus, I'm sure we will take 10 or so in the comming weeks, surely most will be bred, but my mission is to pick the 'baron does' out of the herd. IMO if your wanting to hunt the Rut go SOUTH or WEST

[quote name="643" post="717419" timestamp="1259161582"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=61839.msg717339#msg717339 date=1259126348]
[/quote]Where are you hunting?? Here a cpl of miles West of Lumberton the main Rut is OVER no question about it, I go EVERY day, have been finding and watching scrapes since late Aug, just yesterday I looked at 5-6 and none have been worked since before the rain 2+ weeks ago. We too have taken 6 does to date and all have been bred, one of which was taken the first week and had a 2-3" fetus, I'm sure we will take 10 or so in the comming weeks, surely most will be bred, but my mission is to pick the 'baron does' out of the herd. IMO if your wanting to hunt the Rut go SOUTH or WEST
[/quote]

Must not have many does if they are all bred.

[/quote]

Must not have many does if they are all bred.
[/quote]In our N Pasture of 3500 acres, that was our intention along with TPWs when we went to LAMPS, 4yrs back we were seeing many with no fawns, today you will see most all with at least 1. I dought we will use all permits this yr, BUT let a mature doe come out with no fawns. Bullets I see your up in N Tex, I have NO idea when they do their thing up that way, I do know in the lakes area you could pretty much set your watch for the peek to be around the 14 of Nov.... 

• 2 weeks later...
Walking around deer lease ( in the area of 255 and 96) today 12/8/09 saw signs of new rub. fresh shavings on the ground looked to be no more than 12 to 24 hours old. Branch torn off of small tree... leaves had not wilted. Friend told me it must be the secondary rut. There were multiple small trees hit in this fashion ( rub line) seems this buck was pissed.

What do you think?

Friend shot a nice 8pt this past Saturday, other than that no other deer seen.

[quote name="643" post="727979" timestamp="1260533631"]
Dr James Kroll, I'm not, BUT I've never seen a doe urinate on a rub, google, 'why do deer make scrapes' or why don't you put a trail cam up on a rub and see how much activity you get of deer using it...
[/quote]

Sorry 643 about the Kroll comment, It seems that when ever you read anything about the rut, Those two things ( rubs and scrapes) go together. They are just communication devices like cell phones and email... different but both are used to communicate.
I did have some success once, climbing a tree right after discovering a fresh as I described rub. I have also had some success doctoring a fresh scrape with some Tinks 69.
There are no guarantees, for me the fresh rub was just something to keep the enthusiasm up on what is the back side of a waning East Texas season. I have a little meat in the freezer from opening day. I would just like to see if I could out smart that ol buck who has made it past a few hunts in his day.

Good huntin to ya!
rip .25-06

[quote name="bearbryant" post="728546" timestamp="1260621774"]
Just yesterday in Buna I found a fresh scrape near my stand with recent activity.  Evidently the rut is not totally over. 
[/quote]

That's good news Bear. I am trying to figure out a way to get to the woods asap. Have a few minor obstacles: Work, Church, Honey doos etc... Maybe Sunday evening or Monday

[quote name="bearbryant" post="728546" timestamp="1260621774"]
Just yesterday in Buna I found a fresh scrape near my stand with recent activity.  Evidently the rut is not totally over. 
[/quote]

The fat lady hasn't sang.

I think the rut is the most misunderstood and misguessed thing about deer hunting. The rut always extends over an extended period. Does will go back into estrus if not bred the first time. Doe population has a great impact on the length and timing of the rut. The rut is not caused or initiated by cold weather and a few other tidbits.

Anyone that can pinpoint the rut in a given area consistently and in a very narrow time frame (as in 90% of deer are bred in that small time frame), then they can be millionaires.

[quote name="tvc184" post="728902" timestamp="1260655384"]
[quote author=bearbryant link=topic=61839.msg728546#msg728546 date=1260621774]
[/quote]

The fat lady hasn't sang.

I think the rut is the most misunderstood and misguessed thing about deer hunting. The rut always extends over an extended period. Does will go back into estrus if not bred the first time. Doe population has a great impact on the length and timing of the rut. The rut is not caused or initiated by cold weather and a few other tidbits.

Anyone that can pinpoint the rut in a given area consistently and in a very narrow time frame (as in 90% of deer are bred in that small time frame), then they can be millionaires.
[/quote]

I like your thinking!

OK in some of your ways of thinking I guess the rut last from late Aug (first rub and scrape found) till Jan or Feb, I have and will continue my way of thinking of when the rut is mentioned it refers to the 'week before, the peak of and the week after' NOT secondary or ANY breeding that may take place during or after season. I (we) must have some retards or gay bucks on our place West of Lumberton as I had 5 bucks eatn in a food plot at the same time last Thurs eve when they should have been out looking for girlfriends...

Saw 4 bucks this morning near my home at Walden and Major.

small buck tried to challenge Boss Buck, Boss buck quickly nip that in the bud and then tended a scrap, two other bucks then appeared out of the brush. Another 8pt and another younger buck.

Crazy thing upon further inspection said Boss Buck had already shed an antler.  Cool to watch, seldomly (Never) do I get to watch that kind of activity from my deer stand near Jasper. Probably cause I am to quick to shoot and ask questions later.  Still maturing in my hunter wisdom. ::)

• 9 months later...
We are about 10 to 12 miles Southwest of Palestine and the rut was going on the first week of gun season last year while we were there. In fact one of the biggest bucks we saw was at noon the day before opening day chasing a doe in the field behind the camp. We saw him two more times that first week but no one got a good shot at him.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder