Family wins lawsuit against Louisville Slugger

Family wins lawsuit against Louisville Slugger....what's your take on this?

Jury Awards $850,000 In Louisville Slugger Case

By Ben Jackey/WLKY

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- A Montana jury took a swing at the makers of the Louisville Slugger baseball bat.

The panel ruled in favor of a family who sued the company for not warning users about the dangers of using aluminum bats.

The verdict means Hillerich and Bradsby is on the hook for $850,000. The company said it's not sure what it means beyond that because the jury also decided there was nothing wrong with the product.

“We think that most players understand the risk that they're taking when they step onto the field,” said Hillerich and Bradsby spokesman Rick Redman.

In 2003, 18-year-old Brandon Patch died after being hit in the head by a ball he threw to a batter. That batter was using an aluminum Louisville Slugger.

Patch family attorneys argued the manufacturer did not provide proper warning about the dangers of using aluminum bats.

A jury awarded the family a total of $850,000, including $750,000 in lost wages.

“We came into this not knowing. We were just hoping to prevail for Brandon. This is for Brandon and for the other kids on the field,” said his mother Deb Patch.

“I think we're all kind of wondering if this is even an indictment of the entire game of baseball,” said Redman.

Redman pointed to the fact that the jury did not find the product to be defective. He doesn't know if the company will now have to put special labels on metal bats, but he fears it could change sport as we know it.

“It's really a statement on the society that we live in today that we have to have a warning label on everything and that you just wonder if we're heading down that path more and more of being a nanny state,” said Redman.

Redman said Hillerich and Bradsby is considering whether to appeal the decision.

There is still an outstanding case in New Jersey against the company involving a teen paralyzed by a line drive that came off an aluminum Louisville Slugger.

Guest Silsbee88
This can happen with wood bats, there is an inherent risk taken each time an athlete steps on the field.  I cannot believe that a jury would actually award this. PATHETIC this world we live in.

I certainly disagree with the lawsuit but I do think wooden bats or a "softened" aluminum bat----one that is designed to behave like wood----should be used in High School and beyond.
It is a pitchers worst fear to have that "come backer" and it travels much faster from an aluminum bat.

[quote name="Diamond-J" post="698674" timestamp="1257513573"]
I certainly disagree with the lawsuit but I do think wooden bats or a "softened" aluminum bat----one that is designed to behave like wood----should be used in High School and beyond.
It is a pitchers worst fear to have that "come backer" and it travels much faster from an aluminum bat.
[/quote]

I agree 100 %. I wish we could toss all aluminum bats at every level in the trash.

• 2 weeks later...
The parents arnt feeling anything but all the money in their pockets. Since they did win the lawsuit I wounder if they are setting up a scholarship fund for future baseball players in their area. I mean if they was awarded $850,000 for the lawsuit and another $750,000 that is 1.6mil. What kind of job to his parents have. If they make that much money they surly don't need the $850,000. This is crazy.

I guess I am going to sue mazino for my son twisting his ankle when he rounded second base, anybody wan in on it let me know.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder