Parents that dont support teams, coaches and refs shouldnt be at the games.

[/quote]

I think we have some things mixed up here...Though I can't speak for anyone else, I see the "problem parents" as those that foam at the mouth in the stands, making all kinds of ugly comments to everyone around them regardless of whether others may want to hear them...I was one of these at one point in time...a boorish know it all.  I've mellowed, and I've also had experience on the "other side" of the coin...which is why I mellowed.  I don't see commentary on this forum about an AD/coach's preformance as bashing, but more of a discussion about where the team is headed, especially if it is 3 seasons into the guys contract, and the team and athletics in general has suffered.  You have to be respectful about it, but it's legit.

In the stands screaming negatively, going on the field and bowing up on someone, standing by the dugout where a team can hear you mouthing off, all of these are the types of behavior that I think most of us are against.  Slamming on the refs?  Any idiot can do that...at least be creative and funny in your negative comments...beleive it or not, a ref or umpire will laugh, and maybe get the point better than when you look like you're going to burst a blood vessel.
[/quote]

Great post,  I think this really tells both sides of this argument.  Very well put

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Practicing free speech is one thing, practicing it in an inappropriate manner is another. Our children learn by example. This video is a great wake-up call to all parents and adults. What type of behavior do we want our young people to emulate? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHi2dxSf9hw

youtube.com/watch?v=KHi2dxSf9hw

[quote name="LuvThoseCats" post="683646" timestamp="1256301650"]
Practicing free speech is one thing, practicing it in an inappropriate manner is another. Our children learn by example. This video is a great wake-up call to all parents and adults. What type of behavior do we want our young people to emulate? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHi2dxSf9hw

youtube.com/watch?v=KHi2dxSf9hw
[/quote]

WOW  this video is so true, children learn by what we as parents teach them.  Everything we do and say they will mimic.

Guest falcons
what about when a coach does something dumb or out of the ordinary? think kids act like they do on the field because they see their coaches doing? how can you act like a game name hooks at wos and scream at the refs the whole game then get on a kid for talking back to a ref or coach? double standard.

CheerMom said, "...children learn by what we as parents teach them.  Everything we do and say they will mimic. " 

IMO, when parents gripe about coaches in front of their children, deservedly or not, the kids's attitudes sour.  When parents scream at coaches from the stands, they (the parents) just look stupid.  Of course, parents have free speech rights, but they should think about how they embarrass themselves and their kids before making a scene in the stands.  Talk to the coach on Monday, talk to your friends after the game if you must complain, but don't be stupid in the stands.

[quote name="belle-mere" post="686396" timestamp="1256559533"]
CheerMom said, "...children learn by what we as parents teach them. Everything we do and say they will mimic. "  

IMO, when parents gripe about coaches in front of their children, deservedly or not, the kid's attitudes sour. When parents scream at coaches from the stands, they (the parents) just look stupid.  Of course, parents have free speech rights, but they should think about how they embarrass themselves and their kids before making a scene in the stands.  Talk to the coach on Monday, talk to your friends after the game if you must complain, but don't be stupid in the stands.
[/quote]

How can when coaches spout off "I don't care your parents can get me fired" on a consistant basis? Is that a good example? Coaches are not as flawless as you some of you make yourselves out to be.

[quote name="B.M.F." post="686480" timestamp="1256568133"]
Man etbu...what's your problem with coaches?  Did you not get enough playing time 20 years ago?  Give it a rest....we get it, you don't like coaches. ::) ::) ::)
[/quote]

Get your shots in while on your off period Coach.

[quote name="hummer" post="686086" timestamp="1256514633"]
what about when a coach does something dumb or out of the ordinary? think kids act like they do on the field because they see their coaches doing? how can you act like a game name hooks at wos and scream at the refs the whole game then get on a kid for talking back to a ref or coach? double standard.
[/quote]

I would tell my kids that if anything happened, they listen to the ref, don't talk back, and I would deal with it.  In a game, you have to scream, because there is a marching band playing, people yelling, and you have to get instructions in to your team quick.  If you are getting on a ref, as a coach, that is your job.  You have to yell, you can't text it quietly.  Now bowing up on the ref?...Baseball?...Seems to be part of the game for coaches...football..?...Don't do it.

Make the distinction between crticism on here or in call in shows, and on the field antics by parents who have no class or social situation understanding or experience.  That's 2 different things. 

This debate has been about parents doing things in the stands and on the field to coachs, refs, etc. How about when a coach's wife in the stands yells out players names and criticizes the kid from the stands about not making tackles or missing blocks? Is this something that should be allowed to go on? Believe it or not it happens. And it gets under my skin every time.

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="686728" timestamp="1256582973"]
This debate has been about parents doing things in the stands and on the field to coach's, refs, etc. How about when a coach's wife in the stands yells out players names and criticizes the kid from the stands about not making tackles or missing blocks? Is this something that should be allowed to go on? Believe it or not it happens. And it gets under my skin every time.
[/quote]

What skewl?

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="686741" timestamp="1256583523"]
Is it important. Read between the lines of my mo nicker if it is. It's not the head coach's wife.
[/quote]

Not bad there C Eagles for using a word like mo nicker which is a cognomen for Champion Eagles right? I am impressed with your lingo there C Eagles especially being from Newton.  8) You got serious game Son.  ;D

[quote name="dub" post="686496" timestamp="1256568971"]
People that are employed in the public school system should not be treated any different than anyone else.  If a public school official is not performing at the level that parents feel that they need to be than I feel that some criticism is warrented.
[/quote]

Nobody is saying that they should.  Its the tasteless comments that we are talking about.  Coaches are professionals who do this for a living. 

Coaches don't approach their jobs attempting to perform that job at a certain level that parents (who know nothing about coaching) feel they need to be at. 
The parent's are not the bosses of the coach.

Like I said earlier.. Parents do have the right to say things from the stands... Coaches have the right to laugh about the idiocy of those comments.

Bear Bryant, in truth, the parents are the bosses of the coaches because they are the taxpayers of the district that employs the coaches.  I can't think of a superintendent, especially in a smaller district, that wouldn't cave in to griping parents of a losing coach, even if the coach has no talent to work with. 

That said, the yelling at coaches should NOT be done from the stands.  I'm not talking about occasional groans because any coach makes mistakes, and parents do have the right to their opinions.  They just hurt their kids when they act like idiots, and they hurt their kids' attitudes when they constantly gripe in front of the kids.  If parents want a good program, football or any other sport, they need to support the coach as much as possible, give him a chance, and then if he/she is ineffective in building a program, talk to the coach or to the powers that be because that is the parents' right as a taxpayer.

[quote name="belle-mere" post="687476" timestamp="1256646127"]
Bear Bryant, in truth, the parents are the bosses of the coaches because they are the taxpayers of the district that employs the coaches.  I can't think of a superintendent, especially in a smaller district, that wouldn't cave in to griping parents of a losing coach, even if the coach has no talent to work with. 

That said, the yelling at coaches should NOT be done from the stands.  I'm not talking about occasional groans because any coach makes mistakes, and parents do have the right to their opinions.  They just hurt their kids when they act like idiots, and they hurt their kids' attitudes when they constantly gripe in front of the kids.  If parents want a good program, football or any other sport, they need to support the coach as much as possible, give him a chance, and then if he/she is ineffective in building a program, talk to the coach or to the powers that be because that is the parents' right as a taxpayer.
[/quote]

No they are not the bosses of the coach. Not one parent can enter a coaches office and say "As your boss, I want you to ...... )  The superintendent is the boss.  And there are many sup's around that have backbones.  The sup answers to the board.  The board faces the voters.  Many parents dont even vote though. 

Coaches do pay taxes as well. 

I do agree with you in that an ineffective coach is not going to be around long. 

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="688418" timestamp="1256733575"]
And why do coaches assume that parents have no coaching experience?
[/quote]

Because, if those parents had coaching experience, they would be on the sidelines coaching with them or coaching against them...

I coached Earl Thomas, Jacoby Franks, Seth Thomas, and Trey Franks, along with many other great kids.  I couldn't hold a match, much less a candle to Dan Hooks, Randy Crouch, or even the guy I criticized last year, Coach Moody.  I don't even hold that candle to the junior high coaches.  I coached them in Pop Warner, when they were little kids.  That does not give me "coaching experience" at the high school or even junior high level.  I think that there are some parents out there that coached Pop Warner, Junior football, or other kid version of football who think that this give them experience at a higher level.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  If that were the case, I would still be waiting for my district championship rings from the 'Stangs.  ;D  (Coach Dan, a big ol' bubble gum machine ring will suffice :D )

OK taking your analogy a little further, that would mean as a high school coach he can not be considered a coach because he don't coach at a college level, therefore he is no coach, if he were he would be coaching on Saturday on the sidelines. And college coaches are not coaches because they are not on the sidelines coaching on Sunday? And your taking total credit for those people you named because they were never "coached" at a high school level?

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="688449" timestamp="1256735894"]
OK taking your analogy a little further, that would mean you as a high school coach can not be considered a coach because you don't coach at a college level, therefore you are no coach, if you were you would be coaching on Saturday on the sidelines. And college coaches are not coaches because they are not on the sidelines coaching on Sunday? And your taking total credit for those people you named because they were never "coached" before they got to high school? I bow to the master and am totally not even worthy of sitting in the parking lot at pee wee football.
[/quote]

Nope...I CAN'T take credit for the kids I coached in Pop Warner.  That credit goes to the coach I mentioned, Hooks and Crouch.  Your anology doesn't work because many high school coaches get tapped for college jobs, like many college coaches get tapped for NFL jobs.  The same can't be said about Pee Wee football coaches, UNLESS they have the pre-requisite education.  Most of them are volunteer dads and moms even, doing a great job.  Those few who think they are all that and a bag of chips couldn't hang as high school coach.

I reread and see your not taking credit for the people named. My mistake. The rest of the analogy stands. How many coaches are no longer in the coaching field either because of age, monetary needs or other factors? I believe Coach Harper from Burkeville left the profession a few years back to take care of an ailing family member. He is now back coaching. If your not currently employed as a coach does that mean you know nothing of coaching?

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="688467" timestamp="1256736596"]
I reread and see your not taking credit for the people named. My mistake. The rest of the analogy stands. How many coaches are no longer in the coaching field either because of age, monetary needs or other factors? I believe Coach Harper from Burkeville left the profession a few years back to take care of an ailing family member. He is now back coaching. If your not currently employed as a coach does that mean you know nothing of coaching?
[/quote]

Let me ask you a serious question...are former or retired coaches like Coach Harper in the stands screaming their guts out, criticizing the coaches on the field?  My point stands as well...that the few Pee Wee coaches who think they are God's gift to coaching are the ones that would look ridiculous going head to head against that same high school coach they criticize.  It's a different level when the kids are in high school and popping each other at trainwreck speed.  The game moves a whole lot faster. 

Again, if you read my comments here, you will see that I differentiate between discussing a coach's and teams shortfalls on here WITHIN REASON, and the "foam at the mouthers" in the stands that wouldn't recognize a safety blitz package until it came up and rang their bell.

[quote name="elhector1" post="688498" timestamp="1256738497"]
[quote author=ChampionEagles link=topic=60857.msg688467#msg688467 date=1256736596]
[/quote]

Let me ask you a serious question...are former or retired coaches like Coach Harper in the stands screaming their guts out, criticizing the coaches on the field?  My point stands as well...that the few Pee Wee coaches who think they are God's gift to coaching are the ones that would look ridiculous going head to head against that same high school coach they criticize.  It's a different level when the kids are in high school and popping each other at trainwreck speed.  The game moves a whole lot faster. 

Again, if you read my comments here, you will see that I differentiate between discussing a coach's and teams shortfalls on here WITHIN REASON, and the "foam at the mouthers" in the stands that wouldn't recognize a safety blitz package until it came up and rang their bell.
[/quote]

It's all about class. I have coached youth sports(bb,b-ball & fb) for about 3 years. I have been cursed & criticised by a few parents. 99% of the parents and fans are fine, it's that 1% that is the problem.  And the ones that always complain have bigger issues than a game.

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="688519" timestamp="1256740243"]
[quote author=elhector1 link=topic=60857.msg688498#msg688498 date=1256738497]
[quote author=ChampionEagles link=topic=60857.msg688467#msg688467 date=1256736596]
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's all about class. I have coached youth sports(bb,b-ball & fb) for about 3 years. I have been cursed & criticised by a few parents. 99% of the parents and fans are fine, it's that 1% that is the problem.  And the ones that always complain have bigger issues than a game.
[/quote]

(in a very Keanu Reeves "Bill and Ted tone)  woah...that observation is MOST excellent...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami