20-4A

Livingston returns one the better players in the region, D. Harris, and has an outstanding coach.  Central will have their work cut out for them, but should do it with the talent they have.

She's just going to be a junior right?

yep...saw her at a track meet last year too and she is quite the all around athlete.  We'll see Livingston at the Montgomery tourney Dec 2-3...see what they have this year.

1. Central

2. Livingston

2. Ozen

(I think they'll split)

4. Nederland, LC-M, or Lumberton

7. PN-G

8. Vidor

I think Nederland and LC-M lost a lot, but this district isn't going to be too deep.

This looks fairly accurate to me.  I'd flip Livingston and Ozen's position though.  Livingston had some great athletes last year, but I don't know who graduated from that squad.  The jury is still out on Livingston in my opinion as whether they are in the class of Central.  Not that they don't have the potential, I've just never seen the killer instinct that Central possesses.  Livingston lost handily to LCM in Little Cypress and were played close at their place by LCM.  Nederland took them to overtime in Nederland too before the Lions pulled it out at the buzzer.  Of course, the LONG road trips for every away game has to weigh heavily on the Lions too.

The 4th spot in this district will again be wide open.

Question to the masses:  Nederland has 2 junior high schools.  Those girls basketball programs consistently dominate the junior high circuit...consistently and totally.  Why do so many of these girls not make it through their high school system?  I watched a very talented 8th grader at Nederland Central Jr high last year...it will be interesting to watch her progress in high school.   

Interesting question, Slam.  If it's anything like where I live, volleyball gets some of the up and coming basketball girls...before they know it, they are behind in their bb skill development and drop out of bb. 

A good girls program at the middle school level is great, can dominate a schedule with the depth of players with good basic skills.  But  a good middle school program doesnt always lead to a dominant (state or even district level) HS program.  Gives you an advantage, but at the end of the day, you can only have 5 players on the court.  A team with 3-5 great players can beat a great program with a dozen "good" players any ole day.  It happens to BH most every year. 

AT PNG, the problems are with the coaches.  They have no business even trying to call themsevles that.  The best basketball coaches in the district are at the middle schools.  Last year, the PN middle school had more plays than the JC coach.  It was pretty sad to see the talent that was wasted.  Most of the girls don't play for these reasons.

I am not saying that PNG would win district, but they would be competitive and make it interesting.

AT PNG, the problems are with the coaches.  They have no business even trying to call themsevles that.  The best basketball coaches in the district are at the middle schools.  Last year, the PN middle school had more plays than the JC coach.  It was pretty sad to see the talent that was wasted.  Most of the girls don't play for these reasons.

I am not saying that PNG would win district, but they would be competitive and make it interesting.

I don't know you, but as a fellow coach, this type of statement is way out of line.  Because a coach doesn't have alot of plays means they are a bad coach???  I have 2 plays if you even call them that and one defense.  Does this mean I am terrible and the MS coach is better also?

I surely doubt that girls did not play because the coach did have alot of plays.  Talent is wasted by players not by coaches.

The coach runs off alot of talent at PNG with her attitude.  This coach told one player that she worst basketball player that she ever coached.

You will never make me believe that both middle schools are successful and when these same girls get to high school they lose all of their skills.

At the athletic banquet in the spring, each coach from her respective team stood up and said something good about her players.  That was until the basketball coach got her turn. She did not say one good thing about her players, all negative.  Jaws dropped as she talked. That night should have been about praise, regardless of their record.

I know my daughter stopped playing sports when she got to HS to focus on her school work and cheerleading.  People still tell me she should have stuck with volleyball and basketball.  It just wasn't her passion.  She has some great players her middle school years and they are still great players at the HS level.

I am not at all saying there are not good players at the high school level. They are not surrounded by the best coaching staff. Remember football last year, they had a losing season.  The talk all over the area, including this forum, was the team lacked coaching.  Wow, a new coach comes in and they are now winning. We only got new coaches, not new players.

I am not at all saying there are not good players at the high school level. They are not surrounded by the best coaching staff. Remember football last year, they had a losing season.  The talk all over the area, including this forum, was the team lacked coaching.  Wow, a new coach comes in and they are now winning. We only got new coaches, not new players.

I don't know the inside details of PNG girls basketball, but I do know that it's not fair to dump all of the blame on the coach.  hjhawks and hillguy already made excellent points to shoot down the theory of "the middle school had more plays" than the high school coach, so the only thing I'll add is that high school girls should be able to "turn over" an offense and get to the bucket without trying to see how many plays they can learn or how many different offensive sets they can accomplish.

Your analogy using the new football team/coach is interesting. Isn't he the new athletic director as well? Isn't the girls coach considered to be a part of his staff? If the blame is truly where you think it is then it should show itself.

Whatever the issues...I hope they get resolved quickly so no girl at PNG is deterred from playing if they truly love the game.   

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder