Shaking hands after a game

It does teach good sportsmanship.  I think at the high school level, they should already know this.  This should be a reminder to the fans and to teach the young kids in the stands.

I teach at the high school level and  some kids don't know about true sportsmanship or respect. I think it is just fine at the high school level to continue emphasizing these. This way,  those who haven't gotten it yet, and are lucky enough to have role models such as the coaches and maybe other players, can still learn the importance of sportsmanship and respect(on and off the field)

IMO and most of you will disagree but i could care less if you line up and congradulate the other team for trying hard. At the end of the night its a competion. You do not want the other team to have a good game so why should you have to tell them that after its all over? Nobody means it when they tell the other team they played good. Football is war and thats how i see it. FOR REAL

IT IS CALL RESPECT!

if you do not have enough respect for who you are playing to show enough class to tell the other team good game or atleast just shake their hands win OR lose, then you shouldn't be on the field...

end of story...

HS football isn't about winning or losing, i dont care what anyone says, it's about the life lessons they learn and the discipline they learn while playing the sport that helps them later on in life!

Guest tigersvoice

IMO and most of you will disagree but i could care less if you line up and congradulate the other team for trying hard. At the end of the night its a competion. You do not want the other team to have a good game so why should you have to tell them that after its all over? Nobody means it when they tell the other team they played good. Football is war and thats how i see it. FOR REAL

IT IS CALL RESPECT!

if you do not have enough respect for who you are playing to show enough class to tell the other team good game or atleast just shake their hands win OR lose, then you shouldn't be on the field...

end of story...

HS football isn't about winning or losing, i dont care what anyone says, it's about the life lessons they learn and the discipline they learn while playing the sport that helps them later on in life!

I played high school football aloooooooooong time ago.  When the game was over, usually both teams stayed on the field and sought out players that had impressed them during the game and then they

chatted a bit.  It was not necessary to line up the teams and mandate that they shake hands.  It just came naturally to go tell somebody "Good Hit" when he had knocked your lights out in the second quarter.  But back then things were much less complicated.

IT IS CALL RESPECT!

end of story...

I played high school football aloooooooooong time ago.  When the game was over, usually both teams stayed on the field and sought out players that had impressed them during the game and then they

chatted a bit.  It was not necessary to line up the teams and mandate that they shake hands.  It just came naturally to go tell somebody "Good Hit" when he had knocked your lights out in the second quarter.  But back then things were much less complicated.

Your right.....I think message boards, cell phones, all this instant comminication has added much more pressure to the game.  Now a kid can come online and see 100 people talking about his or his teams performance.

IT IS CALL RESPECT!

end of story...

I played high school football aloooooooooong time ago.  When the game was over, usually both teams stayed on the field and sought out players that had impressed them during the game and then they

chatted a bit.  It was not necessary to line up the teams and mandate that they shake hands.  It just came naturally to go tell somebody "Good Hit" when he had knocked your lights out in the second quarter.  But back then things were much less complicated.

Thats my point regarding sportsmanship.  If up to the individual, then when exhibited it means something.  When mandated, how can it be called sportsmanship---to me ---this actually camouflages the true act of good sportsmanship.  Yes, it still can be taught by teachers, coaches, and the students who are real leaders.  but the best sportsmanship teacher of all --is the way one exhibits it when unsolicited.  

And--- tigervoice, you are correct---we live in a complicated world today.    

How many all out brawls would take place in high school football, if you just let them go all over the field after the game?  Lining up at the fifty is the most orderly and safe way to say good game.  

Huh?

idiot

Based on this exchange and the response given---I would have to say the answer to the first question would be ---

At Least 1      :o

o and for the comment about high school football being about just life lessons???? show me a player or coach who dont want to win and ill show you a loser. C'mon its high school football. Not life class

i never said anything about players and coaches not wanting to win, so dont put words in my mouth,

but it's HS football, if thats all the coach cares about then thats all the players will care about...

and if thats what a school's football program is like then they are going backwards...

o and for the comment about high school football being about just life lessons???? show me a player or coach who dont want to win and ill show you a loser. C'mon its high school football. Not life class

i never said anything about players and coaches not wanting to win, so dont put words in my mouth,

but it's HS football, if thats all the coach cares about then thats all the players will care about...

and if thats what a school's football program is like then they are going backwards...

Ask a HS coach what happens when he does not win.  He'll probably tell you --we shake hands,  say theres been some good games, and then they say GOOD BYE.  :o

Amen..33 Do you think that kirbyville newton jasper WOS and the football programs that are amazing are preaching about life lessons??? No they are teaching how to be good at football. You can think you live in a perfect fairy land but Texas football is the real deal and its about being the best. Period. Not life lessons

How many all out brawls would take place in high school football, if you just let them go all over the field after the game?  Lining up at the fifty is the most orderly and safe way to say good game.  

Huh?

idiot

Actually, I can remember one all out brawl from my school days, it was when L-Town and Kountze tied 0 - 0. I don't remember exactly what started it but it DID include players and fans alike in the middle of the field, I was very young, like elementary age, so it had to be in the late 60's.

Based on this exchange and the response given---I would have to say the answer to the first question would be ---

At Least 1      :o

Amen..33 Do you think that kirbyville newton jasper WOS and the football programs that are amazing are preaching about life lessons??? No they are teaching how to be good at football. You can think you live in a perfect fairy land but Texas football is the real deal and its about being the best. Period. Not life lessons

You sure don't know much, especially about Mustang football.  Don't think for one minute the coaches don't teach 'em how to act.  If they screw up in class, they get licks.  They are taught discipline, responsibility and teamwork.  Seems to me that life lessons fit in there as well.

Guest JustAPlayersMom

At the end of every Newton home game I meet my son on the field and we walk to the gate leading out of the stadium.  (In Newton there is only 1 gate for all players to exit.)  We normally stop right outside the gate so I can speak with some of the other players on his team. 

I have heard more than 1 Newton player tell the opposing team players they played good as they are walking out the gate.  (I hope that makes sense)

With that said, I think it makes any parent proud of their child when they hear this being done or when you see your child extending their hand to help up another player.

On a funny note..... I hope I am still proud of my child come Nov 6th when they play Kirbyville.

You were probably the kid who thought doing stuff your coach told you to do was stupid. . .Useless or not, forced or not, you do it because it DOES show sportsmanship and because the community would go nuts if a coach didn't make his team go shake hands. You can't always expect a hormonal teenager to make appropriate decisions. Sometimes they need to be helped when making those decisions and this one way coaches and staff can help with this.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    assfff
    Newest Member
    assfff