Tiger gets another one..Wow!!!

Snead has the most wins with 88 and Nicklaus has 73 and now Tiger at 70.  Golfers may play a few tourneys later in life but they know they will not be competitive.  Tiger IMO will play about 5 more years and then scale it back big time.  I expect him to break Nicklaus MAJOR wins record and then Sneads total victories record and then begin to become a family man and put golf on the back burner.

Tiger is Tiger....but how about that TRIPLE BOGEY with two holes to play.  ::)

Tiger will surpass Jack, no doubt, but I wonder how Jack could have really dominated had he played with graphite shaft clubs, Big Berthas, and Ping clubs with the U groove that was banned on tour for some time. Even the balls nowadays are "hotter". Jack had to get backspin with a club surface about the same as 80 grit emery cloth. Yeah, I know, I'm gonna catch a lot of flack from all you Tiger lovers, but try just for once to see it from my point of view. This is what makes it so difficult to compare players that are generations apart. Technology has shortened a lot of holes. 600+yard par fives reached in two. 300 yard drives with 3-woods.....

yes, but all of these guys today are playing with the same equipment

That's not what I'm getting at. Put today's technological golf equipment in Jack's hands in his prime, and I wonder how many other tournaments he might have won. Impossible to say, but interesting to think about. I also never saw Jack throw a club. Now Craig Stadler, that's another story.

Guest spinks

yes, but all of these guys today are playing with the same equipment

That's not what I'm getting at. Put today's technological golf equipment in Jack's hands in his prime, and I wonder how many other tournaments he might have won. Impossible to say, but interesting to think about. I also never saw Jack throw a club. Now Craig Stadler, that's another story.

This gets so old.  Everyone played with the same equipment back then just as they do now.  If Jack would have had the equipment so would his rivals.  This is debate is so stupid.  If Jack would have been helped so would the players he played against.  Would have made ZERO DIFFERENCE.  Jack never won a major championship on a golf course that was 7,500 yards with 500 yard par 5's.

Funnny how you assume that I wouldn't know all the players would be equipped the same. If the debate is stupid, why participate? It's not any more stupid than bragging about the Mario Williams pick and calling someone out. Since Jack is the best (one of the longest drivers and accurate with greens hit), wouldn't it be more to his advantage to have a Bertha for drives and a PW he could stop on a dime, or draw back towards the hole. Give jack 10-15 more yards on his drive, instead of playing center of the green, he can now go at the flag. It just seems logical to me.

Kinda like giving a corked bat to Hank Aaron. Everyone would hit more HRs, but Aaron would hit even more, maybe even widen the gap.

Guest spinks

Funnny how you assume that I wouldn't know all the players would be equipped the same. If the debate is stupid, why participate? It's not any more stupid than bragging about the Mario Williams pick and calling someone out. Since Jack is the best (one of the longest drivers and accurate with greens hit), wouldn't it be more to his advantage to have a Bertha for drives and a PW he could stop on a dime, or draw back towards the hole. Give jack 10-15 more yards on his drive, instead of playing center of the green, he can now go at the flag. It just seems logical to me.

Kinda like giving a corked bat to Hank Aaron. Everyone would hit more HRs, but Aaron would hit even more, maybe even widen the gap.

I participated because I disagree with you.  As for you thinking the Mario Williams "bragging" post was stupid, that is fine.  That is your opinion. I was actually trying to give props to the Texans management who made the choice and Icky was the only one I remember that disagreed with me.  Also, trying to start some conversation on an otherwise dead board.

Back to the golf............I can tell you simply from experience that Jack would have rather kept the equipment that not EVERYONE could hit solid and far because he could do it with a wooden stick.  The technology actually brings the guys who cannot hit it as far and solid closer to the great ones because of the forgiveness of the new clubs.  The great ball strikers can play golf with anything.  It is the guys who used to only hit is 270 and now they hit it 300 because of the new equipment and that has helped them more than anything.  Tiger went from hitting it 320 to hitting it 340.  It has helped him very little.  A great example of that is the irons that Tiger uses.  They are irons that were created in the 1980's.  They have been fine tuned a small amount but for the most part he has played with the same irons for the last 15 years. 

spinks, your second paragraph shows that this topic is not stupid afterall. I happen to agree with everything you said except that the technology only helps those who cannot hit as far as the great ones. Even though Tiger may use the same irons, anyone hitting their drives 20 yards farther has to help tremendously.....especially on the shorter par 4 holes. Even though Tiger can stick a green with a 5 iron, you can't tell me that it isn't easier for him to back off a couple clubs to a 7 or 8 and it make the shot. Same goes for Jack.

These guys are eagling 500 and 600 yard par 5s with putts, not chip shots. This is where tournaments are won anyway....putting, and Jack was one of the best (save Crenshaw), so I would have liked to see him get a chance to putt for eagles instead of having to chip. It would have made a world of difference IMO!

Guest spinks

spinks, your second paragraph shows that this topic is not stupid afterall. I happen to agree with everything you said except that the technology only helps those who cannot hit as far as the great ones. Even though Tiger may use the same irons, anyone hitting their drives 20 yards farther has to help tremendously.....especially on the shorter par 4 holes. Even though Tiger can stick a green with a 5 iron, you can't tell me that it isn't easier for him to back off a couple clubs to a 7 or 8 and it make the shot. Same goes for Jack.

These guys are eagling 500 and 600 yard par 5s with putts, not chip shots. This is where tournaments are won anyway....putting, and Jack was one of the best (save Crenshaw), so I would have liked to see him get a chance to putt for eagles instead of having to chip. It would have made a world of difference IMO!

I would love to know where I said that it does not help the longer hitter??? I said the guys who's strong points are ball striking and distance are actually hurt by better technology because it brings the average guys closer to them because the margin of error is greater.  It helps them but not near as much as the next guy.  As for eagling 500 yard par 5's Jack did that all of the time.  Players are not eagling 600 yard par 5's with ease......... period.  They are rarely doing it at all unless it is elavation related or the ground is rock hard and down wind. 

By the way.........of the greatest players to ever play this game..........Tiger Woods is the best putter to play the game ever.  He is doing it on faster more undulating greens than any of the other greats ever thought about doing it on. 

Guest spinks

It's all about perspective.

Courses are so much longer these days than they were back in Jack's days. It all evens out.

Well said.  Exactly what I am trying to get across!

Whoa Spinks I was with you until you said that Tiger is the best putter of all time.  You know as well as I do that it is easier to read and make putts on perfect fast greens.  That is what these guys play on every week (with the exception of the Open Championship).  The greens in the Jack era were far from perfect and even further from being fast.  BTW.............Gentle Ben Crenshaw is the best putter of all time and I would likely put Loren "Boss of the Moss" Roberts ahead of Tiger as well. 

If you were referring to only the golfers that are "in the running" for best golfers of all time then I agree Tiger is a better putter than Jack, Hogan, Snead, Palmer, etc. 

I would love to see Tiger putt with a Bullseye putter on greens that are running a "smooth" 6 or 7 on the stimpmeter!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Guest spinks

Whoa Spinks I was with you until you said that Tiger is the best putter of all time.  You know as well as I do that it is easier to read and make putts on perfect fast greens.  That is what these guys play on every week (with the exception of the Open Championship).  The greens in the Jack era were far from perfect and even further from being fast.  BTW.............Gentle Ben Crenshaw is the best putter of all time and I would likely put Loren "Boss of the Moss" Roberts ahead of Tiger as well. 

If you were referring to only the golfers that are "in the running" for best golfers of all time then I agree Tiger is a better putter than Jack, Hogan, Snead, Palmer, etc. 

I would love to see Tiger putt with a Bullseye putter on greens that are running a "smooth" 6 or 7 on the stimpmeter!!!! ;D ;D ;D

If you can read lazeek I said of the greatest of all time.  You and I have both played golf for years and it is common knowledge that putting slower greens is MUCH easier than fast greens.  Also, the greens today are MUCH more undulating than they were years ago. 

Simply amazing....guys who hit 270 off the tee are helped with today's technological advances, but the guys who already hit 300 off the tee are hindered by the guys who can now catch up with them? That makes absolutely no sense to me. The technology also help the guy who can hit with a pine tree.

Putting on slowers greens only helps with the speed, not the actual read of the contours.

Man, this stupid topic sure is getting some responses. I love it!

Guest spinks

Simply amazing....guys who hit 270 off the tee are helped with today's technological advances, but the guys who already hit 300 off the tee are hindered by the guys who can now catch up with them? That makes absolutely no sense to me. The technology also help the guy who can hit with a pine tree.

Putting on slowers greens only helps with the speed, not the actual read of the contours.

Glad you love it JB.  I love it to.  Again never did I say the other guys were hindered because of technology.  I simply stated that the Fred Funks of the world benefit much more from the technology than the Tiger Woods of the world.  Good news is you have an opinion and so do I and they both are very valid.  You get offended easily and I am sorry about that.  Hope to see you on the course one day! ;)

Glad you love it JB.  I love it to.  Again never did I say the other guys were hindered because of technology.  I simply stated that the Fred Funks of the world benefit much more from the technology than the Tiger Woods of the world.  Good news is you have an opinion and so do I and they both are very valid.  You get offended easily and I am sorry about that.  Hope to see you on the course one day! ;)

Hey, sounds like the start of a challenge.

Skins game anyone?

Offended.....me?? You haven't offended me in the least. Who is JB?

• 1 month later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin