USa vs Spain

What a great win for the US.  Probably one the top two wins in US soccer history. Just the other day when they played Italy and Brazil they looked so bad, I wonder what happened for them to turn it around a look so good.  I agree the red card was crap.

The US got hosed again by the ref, it was a foul but no way was it a red card. Tim Howard played excellent and the backs always seemed to be in the right spot. I would like to see Bennie get more time and there are other players that need to get in. I really don't understand Conor Casey being in the game at all. It's time to see Adu, Cooper, Torres, Holden and Arnaud to name just a few. The US has players that play their behinds off and today was an example of that. I didn't like how they kept giving Spain so much space on the outside in our defending third. Possession and intensity will be the keys against Brazil.

Wow is right! Completely awesome. That red card was crap though.

yeah it was... three cheap reds in four games, but this one will hurt the most.  on a positive, it was the first one we got late enough in a game that it didn't effect our play, but on a bad note, this is the first one we've received against a player that we will be unable to replace during the next game.

OK OK I put this in the Leader for tomorrow.

you should!  this is pretty close for US soccer to what the US hockey team did to Russia back in the day... DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?

if we were to play brazil in the final and beat them then i'd couple that to the miracle on ice being that brazil beat us 3-0 the other day....however, spain is the best team in the world, but today we were better...wow, just wow!

OK OK I put this in the Leader for tomorrow.

you should!  this is pretty close for US soccer to what the US hockey team did to Russia back in the day... DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?

if we were to play brazil in the final and beat them then i'd couple that to the miracle on ice being that brazil beat us 3-0 the other day....however, spain is the best team in the world, but today we were better...wow, just wow!

the only reason i say that is because this spain team easily ranks among the best teams in history.  they had just set the international record for consecutive wins (15), and i believe they had gone 38 games without being defeated.  this was their first loss since 2006!

yah i know what ya mean...we beat USSR in the semis then too as well...however we had gotten creamed by the USSR a month or so before the games and we didnt play spain last month, however we got creamed by brazil last week, so its not exactly in the same order but if we were to play brazil in the finals it'd be almost exactly like it just in different order...lol

they are playing much better now than the first 2 games, hwoever that could be some because we arent playing a man down the whole game...losing bradley is gonna hurt for the finals...

USA just needs to take care of buisness the rest of the year til next summer...we may have just bought us an inside shot to a seed come world cup time...

yah i know what ya mean...we beat USSR in the semis then too as well...however we had gotten creamed by the USSR a month or so before the games and we didnt play spain last month, however we got creamed by brazil last week, so its not exactly in the same order but if we were to play brazil in the finals it'd be almost exactly like it just in different order...lol

they are playing much better now than the first 2 games, hwoever that could be some because we arent playing a man down the whole game...losing bradley is gonna hurt for the finals...

USA just needs to take care of buisness the rest of the year til next summer...we may have just bought us an inside shot to a seed come world cup time...

especially if this team of scrubs we're fielding for the Gold Cup next month can produce a good result...

especially if this team of scrubs we're fielding for the Gold Cup next month can produce a good result...

i noticed that....y are they using basically 2nd stringers for it? they think they all are tired from the confederation cup or something?

probably, and there might be some issues with some of the players from foreign clubs missing basically a month and a half from their club... who knows.  if you read the espn article about the game, they actually refer to the USA/Russia hockey game  ;D

We're not the only ones sending our B Team (

This is the hidden content, please
).

It would be really hard for US Soccer to ask some of the guys on the Confederations Cup roster to miss another month from their club to play in the Gold Cup.  Especially MLS guys who are in the middle of their season.  A lot of the northern European leagues are about to start up, too, so guys like Benny and Charlie Davies need a little break.  Also, a guy like Jozy needs to get into his club's preseason camp from Day 1 so he can battle for some first team minutes.

Honduras will give us a good game, but Grenada and Haiti...

I didn't like how they kept giving Spain so much space on the outside in our defending third.

I was thinking the same thing!  But looking back on it, I'm going to have to tip my cap to Big Bradley.  I'm guessing the thought was:  

Spain will hurt us up the middle with short passes and 1-2's.  They're not known as team that finishes a lot of crosses.  Besides, the US backline goes 6', 6'4'', 6', 6'.  They'll win the aerial battles against Spain.  Tuck Donovan and Dempsey inside to reduce those passing lanes as much as possible.

And it worked!  Well played, RoboBob.  Well played indeed!

FIRE BOB BRADLEY?

I didn't like how they kept giving Spain so much space on the outside in our defending third.

I was thinking the same thing!  But looking back on it, I'm going to have to tip my cap to Big Bradley.  I'm guessing the thought was:  

Spain will hurt us up the middle with short passes and 1-2's.  They're not known as team that finishes a lot of crosses.  Besides, the US backline goes 6', 6'4'', 6', 6'.  They'll win the aerial battles against Spain.  Tuck Donovan and Dempsey inside to reduce those passing lanes as much as possible.

And it worked!  Well played, RoboBob.  Well played indeed!

FIRE BOB BRADLEY?

We didn't give up any goals, but how many times did Spain cross the ball to the middle and our defenders had to dive to the ground in order to block a shot. We were extremely fortunate not to give up a goal. I still say we gave them to much space.

i gotta agree with Bon on this one.  We had a game plan that nullified the space to a large degree.  If we try to man up on these guys, they would've just destroyed us one on one, and then you want to talk about space!!!  with a team that talented, i think the contain approach was proper, and it payed off well.

i dont know a ton about soccer but the announcers and i read several other so called soccer "experts" say that the reason the USA defended the way they did was that Spain typically wasnt a team that scored on a lot of crosses...they'd rather catch u one on one up the middle and beat you that way...so it seemed to me that we decided we werent going to give them their strength and hope for the best and give them the crosses...one of those well we cant shut them completely down but we can make it to where they have to do somthing they are uncomfortable with things, kinda like guarding kobe bryant ya know...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    newyourk01
    Newest Member
    newyourk01