Astros Future...What do you want to see done? Signed Feliz, Lindstrom, and Lyon!

Don't look now, it's looking promising. The "catcher of the future," Jason Castro, possibly starting? With a good spring training.. he could be the starting catcher next year. Front office has made it clear they will give him a fair shot. But we can't rush him like we did Towles, we saw how he turned out. The front office is committed to Tommy Manzella at short. He looks to be ready for the bigs defensively, but he still is a work in progress at the plate. For those of you that don't know of him.. he is a younger mold of Adam Everett, maybe with a little more pop and speed. The outfield is already set for years.. Pence will be the right fielder for another 10 years hopefully. Bourn and Pence both are arbirtration eligible, and will be getting raises this year. The front office has made it clear that both will be resigned. Carlos Lee is under contract until 2012 and is owed $56 million. The Astros have 3 solid outfielders in their system (Delome - 17 HRS 1 Error, Double A; Bogusevic - .278 45 RBIS 3 Errors, Triple A; Locke - .324 16 HRS 2 Errors, Double A). The only obvious options for the rotation in 2010 is 1-Oswalt, 2-Wandy, 3-Bud Norris.. After that, work needs to be done. Bazardo and Paulino both will get chances, but hopefully we can get a free agent or two to give them more time to develop.

-Post draft-

Solid players across the board for the Astros. Here's a list of prospects they've drafted & signed.

1st pick: Jiovanni Mier (Shortstop, 18 years old, 21st overall pick)

2nd pick: Tanner Bushue (Tall RHP, 18 years old, 69th overall pick)

3rd pick: Telvin Nash (OF, 18 years old, 100th overall pick)

4th pick: Jonathon Meyer (3B, 18 years years old, 111th overall pick)

5th pick: BJ Hyatt (Tall RHP, 20 years old, 131st overall pick)

6th pick: Brandon Wikoff (SS, 20 years old, 161st overall pick)

7th pick: Enrique Hernandez (SS, 17 years old, 191st overall pick)

8th pick: Dallas Keuchel (LHP, 21 years old, 221st overall pick)

9th pick: Brandt Walker (RHP, 21 years old, 251st overall pick)

10th pick: Ben Orloff (SS, 21 years old, 281st overall pick)

12th pick: David Williams (C, 20 years old, 341st overall pick)

They have also signed their 14th-26th picks which include: 4 OF's, 2 First basemen, a 2nd basemen, 4 right-handed pitchers, and 2 left-handed pitchers.

Looks like they knew exactly what they needed, and got it! Lots of pitchers and infielders. But you have to remember, all of these guys are mostly 3-4 years out. Some of which we will never see.

- Post Trade Deadline -

The Astros did not make any moves, as most expected. The front office felt to be in the thick of things, even though we are 4 games out in the Central behind a solid Cardinals team and a Cubs team that is quickly getting better. After this year, both Rodriguez's are free agents, Tejada is a free agent, Hawkins is a free agent, Valverde is a free agent, and Blum is a free agent. Lots of starters on that list. Who will they resign? Only time will tell. The Astros passed up on an opportunity to get better because they didn't make a trade.. So we will see. Future still looks bright!

- Off Season -

Astros finish below far again.. With what I've said above.. What do you want to see done?

UPDATED

Astros do not resign Hawkins, and Valverde turned down arbirtration, so it freed up cap space!! Astros signed the hard throwing Lindstrom from the Marlins, and Brandon Lyon from the Tigers. Both could be options at closer. They also signed Pedro Feliz from the Phillies to a one year contract to play third! Liking the moves by our front office. Much younger Houston Astros! The front office has also made it clear that they're not done making moves. They want to add another reliever, as well as some outfield depth.

I agree with trading Carlos, do it while you can still benefit.

Pudge isn't costing them that much.

Valverde and Matsui back should help if they can stay healthy.

You're also right about them playing pretty well now and being a second half team.

My question is; Do you trade Tejada, a rock solid spark plug right now, when hopefully the Stros will have momentum in the second half and risk falling off down the stretch because of his loss but benefit from players in a trade? Or do you hang on to him for a run down the stretch in hopes of making the playoffs but in the end risk loosing him to free agency and gain nothing?

I don't know.

I think there going to need more pitching for a serious run though.

The Astros will not resign him. They've made it pretty clear. Manzella is ready to go now down in Triple A.

It seems stupid to me for them to not trade him, and get something in return. I think Berkman will pick it up, and take Tejada's place. They were fine down the stretch last year with Tejada playing horribly, so I think we will be fine again. And every year we have been needing to make a trade, and we never do it.

We will never be a great team until we make changes. The sooner they make that change (trades) the sooner we will be a better team.

AJ25 - I appreciate your knowledgeable posts and Astro-optomism. I've been a 'stros fan since the 60s and have had my heart broken too many times. They will make some changes but they will be too little, too late. They won't sign more pitching, but will resign aging players that McLane is fond of. I do hope that you are right.... but I don't have my hopes up. Good posts and thanks for the info

AJ25 - I appreciate your knowledgeable posts and Astro-optomism. I've been a 'stros fan since the 60s and have had my heart broken too many times. They will make some changes but they will be too little, too late. They won't sign more pitching, but will resign aging players that McLane is fond of. I do hope that you are right.... but I don't have my hopes up. Good posts and thanks for the info

Listening to Charlie P today and said Astros owe Lee fifty five million over next three years. NICE MOVE Uncle Drayton.  ???

Carlos Lee will not be traded.  He has a full no trade clause in his contract that extends through this year and next.  He is on record that he would veto any trade. 

At this point, the Astros have smoke and mirrored their way back into contention.  If they can stay within single digits of the division or the wild card, Drayton will look to stand pat, or maybe even make some trade to add a middle of the road starting pitcher for whatever we have left on the farm.

At this point, as a die-hard Astro fan, I wish they would just lose big so that the reloading process can begin.

thats what I was hoping would happen this year, but they are trying to fight back.

Lee probably won't be going anywhere unless it is to a serious contender. Tejada is our best hope.

Like I said though, we do not need outfielders. If they trade for an outfielder I'm officially a Rangers fan.

We need a couple of infielders, and a couple of pitchers.

They just need to keep Tejada or Lee if they cannot get one of those two positions.

We have no infielders in our current infield that will be here in 5 years, except for possibly Berkman.

We have only 2 quality starters. We have 3 number 5 starters in our rotation: Paulino, Ortiz, Hampton.

Hampton could be a number 4.

Pitching and infielding!

• 4 weeks later...

Well... What do we think now?

It may be early to get excited but I can't help it.

Is this the second half team we are all familiar with or another heartbreak?

Do we trade Tejada (or others) or let them play on?

Tough call.

It's hard to say that it will stay this way. The Cubs can only get better.

Our next 3 series' are the Mets, Cubs, Cards.. If we can win 2-3 from each of those, then this is for real.

I'm not sure though. We can get a lot for Tejada, but it's a big risk to trade him. We won't have him next year regardless.. So we'll see what the front office does. We need more pitching!

why would we want to trade carlos lee? he has had 3 pf his best years of his career in houston and yes he is expensive but we are getting what we pay for w/ him...u get rid of lee then your pretty much turning us back into the team we had w/ bagwell....berkman will be the guy to walk all the time and then who will make other teams pay? pence? he is like biggio w/ more pop, loves those breaking balls away and will most likely be the 4 hitter w/ berkman in the lineup and no Lee...Pence is very good but he has more holes in his swing than Lee in my opinion...

the reason we trade carlos lee is because of the face he has only hit 15 homeruns and has 56 rbi's and we are paying him $19 million! 15 homeruns isn't worth $9 million, let alone $19.

He's not going anywhere though, no trade clause and he costs too much.

Think it's time we make a deal. It's likely Oswalt is headed to the DL. We're still 2 games out, and we're on the biggest roadtrip of the season. Time to trade Tejada I think..

Are you smoking some midnight cigs? Are you serious? Tejada is their best hitter why would you trade him? Bring up Bud Norris bc they have been talking about it anyway. Wesley Wright has been a starter in the past.

The Cubs have Aramis back, they've only gotten better since he came back. The cards can only stay down for so long. We don't have Berkman, and he hasn't been that great when he was healthy. We're paying Lee $19 million to hit 16 homeruns. We lose Tejada at the end of the year anyway. Like it or not, the wild card winner will not come out of the Central. Only 1 team out of the central will make the playoffs, because the NL East is too strong. The Astros are the 3rd best team in their division. You make think differently, but Miguel Tejada is not going to get us into the playoffs.

Guest baseball25

Word as it from a good source of mine, the astros  farm system is the worse in baseball, if astros had some good prospects they could make some trades, but it sucks not having a great farm system..

Hopefully Uncle Drayton will keep his nose out of the day to day and let Wade do his job. I am back in the game bc it seems at least finally they are trying to draft and sign the young kids. Gonna take two to four years to replace what idiot Timmy Purpura and Uncle D tore up. Just reading in today's paper that they have called up Bud Norris.  ;D

Guest Penny

This is worst possible setup for the Stros, you lose the team if you deal veteran players having great years when you're 2 games out.  Yet, there is a small possibility the pitching will hold up through a pennant race.  Tough luck all the way around.

I don't see how you're saying veteran players are having great years? Everyone knows Berkman is having a down year, Pudge is having a below average season compared to most catchers. Carlos is costing us $19 million this year, the least he could do is hit 19 homeruns, and he can't get there yet. Tejada is the only one having a decent year. The only one. Wandy is costing us $2 million and he has been the most consistent.

Guest Penny

My bad, shouldn't have said all vets, was mainly meaning the ones having years that would cause people to pony up what we want... ie Tejada... Pudge should be on the block as well if we can get good you pitching.

• 2 weeks later...

Carlos Lee will not be traded.  He has a full no trade clause in his contract that extends through this year and next.  He is on record that he would veto any trade.  

At this point, the Astros have smoke and mirrored their way back into contention.  If they can stay within single digits of the division or the wild card, Drayton will look to stand pat, or maybe even make some trade to add a middle of the road starting pitcher for whatever we have left on the farm.

At this point, as a die-hard Astro fan, I wish they would just lose big so that the reloading process can begin.

Yep.  IMO they are a second-half team because of the scheduling.  It just works out that they play several series against the weakest teams and make a "run"  at the division title.  Not to mention that the Central is not very strong anyway.

This month they have:

Arizona twice (17 games out of first)

Chicago going into Sept. (depends on what team shows up)

September:

Pitt ( last in the central 17 games out)

Cincy twice (13 games out)

Mil (sub 500)

With several good teams sprinkled throughout the schedule.  They will make a "run" through the weak teams and fall apart in the end.

Bigdog, I and history will agree with you. The 'stros will set you up for heartbreak almost every year. I've even heard Milo talk in the past about the "September swoon". Drayton only wants a winner if he can do it on a tight budget. Every now and then he'll get exited and trade off a bunch of prospect for a glimmer of hope, but once that fails, he back to pinching pennys. I can't help it... I'm still a fan. I just won't put money in McLane's pocket until he puts forth a good product.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami