This is the End For Rollover Pass.

Legislature approves $5.85 million for Rollover Pass closure

Those who fish Rollover Pass might want to start scoping out new sites to cast their lines.

Money to close the pass has been OK'd, but anglers have a little time to relocate since it's likely to be about two years before work begins, said Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson.

The Texas Legislature budgeted $5.85 million to fill in the channel, a popular spot for fishing that has been accelerating erosion on either side of the pass for many years.

But closing it has long been a hotly debated proposal.

Former Gilchrist resident Cliff Tomerlin said he wants the government to find a solution to erosion that doesn't require closing the pass.

"We feel that the economic impact is going to be very great (if Rollover Pass closes)," Tomerlin, 48, told The Enterprise in a telephone interview. "It wasn't just a free fishing place. A lot of businesses depended on the business that came from people going to the pass to sport fish."

Patterson regretted the loss.

"That's an unfortunate result," he said. "It's one of those good news/bad news scenarios."

Beaumont resident Vivian Todd, whose family's Crystal Beach house was wiped out, was elated that the project had been approved.

"Closing Rollover is the number one best thing they could ever do," she said in a telephone interview.

She feels the closure will greatly assist Bolivar's recovery.

"It won't happen overnight, but it will happen," she said.

Before work starts, the project has to go through an environmental assessment. Agencies including Texas Parks and Wildlife, the U.S. Coast Guard, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and Galveston County will be involved.

Public hearings also will be part of the process.

"Assuming all of that is positive, hopefully we'll commence in two years to close the pass," Patterson said. The project also would reconstitute dunes and renourish beaches.

The corps had been spending about $1 million a year dredging Rollover Pass, Patterson estimated.

"We hope to get the corps to take the money they were spending on dredging and apply it to other projects," he said, adding that renourishing Bolivar beaches would be an ideal use.

But resistance to the plan is far from dead.

Tomerlin, who now lives in San Antonio with his wife, Connie, is a member of the Gilchrist Community Association, an organization that pays for the upkeep of Rollover Pass.

On July 4, Tomerlin said the association will have a barbecue and fishing tournament at Rollover Pass to raise money for studies that would show the economic impact the pass has on the Gilchrist community.

"We'd like to have the town come back," he said.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem I see here is the baitfish and all other species of fish have used the pass as migration routes for many years for their well being.how many will die waiting too late to swim the intracoastal canal to the ship channel in the event of a severe winter.The Anahuac Wildlife Refruge has not been the good fishing spot it once was as tide movement and fish migration have been disrupted by the pass desruction after Ike.In the case of property owners it is my belief that had a storm the size of Ike struck the Crystal beach area 40 years ago the results would have been more destructive as other storms had did their part to move the beachfront property back.Look at the highway from High Island to Sabine Pass that is still rubble.Once a fisherman's heaven with beachfront piers-the pass all are memories of the past when a fisherman could catch and keep some decent numbers of fish.If the fed's do not close the crab season soon for at least 2 yrs.the blue crab will be gone.Rumor has it the locals are trying to persuade the fed's that the beach area well being depends on tourist and fisherman for bussiness and want the corps to build a few fishing piers out into the gulf and possibly another large one out into the bay as a compromize to the pass closing.This seems a plan to suit all involved.

• 3 weeks later...

Rollover update;Thurs.night July 9,2009-There along w/30 others w/generators and 1,000 watt + spotlights.Around 10:00 pm on gulf side w/sandy water the trout bite started slow then picked up fast paced about 2:00-3:00 am.Most we caught (28) just a 1/2 in.short but we managed 7 keeper specks-5 nice sand trout fishing tandem wh.red tail little fishes just under the surface.Of note  on the east side near the end of the concrete and beyond the rocks about 7 guys and gals were killin em all night w/some large ones in the mix.Saw them land 10 keepers in less than 5 min.Green water lurked just out 200 yds.so with the right wind and greener water look for a big bite a few hrs.before and after a tide change.We saw no fishermen on the bay side and we left for home at 3:45 am July 10 am.Locals said they had been doing well as Wed.7-8-09 night a group of 3 limited out on specks w/sand trout inbetween.

Problem I see here is the baitfish and all other species of fish have used the pass as migration routes for many years for their well being.how many will die waiting too late to swim the intracoastal canal to the ship channel in the event of a severe winter.The Anahuac Wildlife Refruge has not been the good fishing spot it once was as tide movement and fish migration have been disrupted by the pass desruction after Ike.In the case of property owners it is my belief that had a storm the size of Ike struck the Crystal beach area 40 years ago the results would have been more destructive as other storms had did their part to move the beachfront property back.Look at the highway from High Island to Sabine Pass that is still rubble.Once a fisherman's heaven with beachfront piers-the pass all are memories of the past when a fisherman could catch and keep some decent numbers of fish.If the fed's do not close the crab season soon for at least 2 yrs.the blue crab will be gone.Rumor has it the locals are trying to persuade the fed's that the beach area well being depends on tourist and fisherman for bussiness and want the corps to build a few fishing piers out into the gulf and possibly another large one out into the bay as a compromize to the pass closing.This seems a plan to suit all involved.

Why should the feds build anything as a compromise? I am not against piers being built but a compromise after the fact seems ridiculous. The closing of the pass is a done deal that is already funded. This seems like guaranteeing a man free healthcare after he is executed as a compromise. In other words, it is a bit late to be wanting to negotiate or to reach some sort of give and take.

What is up with the blue crabs? I have seen more crabs around the Sabine area than I have in a few years.

Why should the feds build anything as a compromise? I am not against piers being built but a compromise after the fact seems ridiculous. The closing of the pass is a done deal that is already funded. This seems like guaranteeing a man free healthcare after he is executed as a compromise. In other words, it is a bit late to be wanting to negotiate or to reach some sort of give and take.

What is up with the blue crabs? I have seen more crabs around the Sabine area than I have in a few years.

I was wondering about the crabs too

After speaking w/locals 7-9-09 fishing the pass several told me the eviromental folks have gotten involved as well as folks who support the pass as a historic place.Will this delay closure? Most likely some.We saw alot of crabs moving w/the tide-mostly females heavy w/eggs.Do not see the large male blue crab like there once was.Order crab at a food place and see how small they are.

My kids caught 6 dozen in about 3 hours last weekend, down on pleasure Island.

What time of day? Where you crabing in the canals or in the lake?

A guy at work tossed a crab trap into the ship channel near downtown PA a couple of days ago while we were fishing. He went to check it after a couple of hours and had about two dozen big ones in it. I saw lots of them while we were fishing.

My kids caught 6 dozen in about 3 hours last weekend, down on pleasure Island.

What time of day? Where you crabing in the canals or in the lake?

A guy at work tossed a crab trap into the ship channel near downtown PA a couple of days ago while we were fishing. He went to check it after a couple of hours and had about two dozen big ones in it. I saw lots of them while we were fishing.

Hmmmm.......

• 2 weeks later...

7-21-09/7-22-09 Rollover update:Water cond.rough-wind 20-25 mph south-about 20 fishermen w/lights-few panfish caught(croaker-whiting-sand trout)most caught on low tide.high tide real strong and rough.New blue poly trash cans w/GCA markings on gulf side and grouds were clean-bay side is trashy-folks please dispose of your trash/unwanted bait/and fish.It is not closed yet so don't trash it.pack it in pack it out-Signs posted around help save the pass.Good Fishin-Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

went to rollover today... caught as many whiting as we wanted on dead shrimp with a few rat reds/piggy perch/croaker mixed in.  tossed some artificials, brought in a few small specks and reds...  i didn't see anyone bringing in any quality fish.  on a positive, my buddy took his four-year-old daughter out and she yanked out fish after fish on her little barbie pole, so even though the quality isn't there, it's a good time to teach a kid how to fish out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I went down there for the first time in a long time on sunday...didnt fish rollover but stopped and got a breakfast taco from the stand there...walked and and was amazed how trashed out the place was..dead bait from shrimp to cut bait to shad, it was gross...I cant believe the state doesnt charge an admission or something to help keep the place clean.....people are pigs...

on a side note, tried to wade fish the back side and the bottom was real mushy....is it always like that?

ended up finding a spot in the surf to wade and caught a few...water wasnt great but it was good to get out

Probabally 'mushy' from silt due to the hurricane, havn't fished there in several yrs BUT have caught many Flounders on the 'bayside' on both E and W sides not to mention 100s of trout under the lites. I absolutley wore my 2 boys out on trout or maybe I should say they 'wore the trout out' yrs back. IMO it will be a sad day for sportsman if they close the pass.....

Before the storm it was not bad to wade the bay side,now I would not.Fish the gulf side @night w/your lights when not muddy for specks.Gonna try east bay tomorrow morn.Been some 21"specks and a few big reds taken off frozen point @ Anahuac Wildlife refruge.Sign in drive 50 yds.to a canal catch finger mullet,shad,sm.croakers,a few shrimp for bait w/cast net.

• 4 weeks later...

Fishing trip to rollover last night fishing for specks w/lights was fair w/lots being caught on live shrimp under popping cork but only a few keepers.Must have landed 40-14" trout and a occ.rat red,all on low tide/east side /bay side.There was approx.30 sets of 1,000 watt lights and wall to wall fishermen on the side we were on.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder