Zane Williams &UHV Jaguars secure first NAIA Playoff Birth

By Mike Forman • Saturday, May 2, 2009

One moment Zane Williams wanted to kick the dirt and in an instant he felt like he could touch the sky.

Williams thought his fly ball to left-center field in the bottom of the seventh inning had been caught only to discover it had cleared the fence for a three-run home run in the University of Houston-Victoria's 6-2 win over Lambuth University in the decisive game of the Association of Independent Institutions Baseball Championship on Saturday at Riverside Stadium.

"I hit it and I thought it's got a chance," Williams said. "I saw the guy jump up and I saw him come down and I looked at the umpire and he called out and I thought, 'Man he caught that ball.' He didn't come up and show the ball so I kept running and the umpire finally went out there and saw he didn't catch it. I was just glad it finally got over."

The Jaguars were able to celebrate clinching their first NAIA playoff berth in their second year of existence after a long afternoon of baseball that began with a 16-11 loss to Lambuth.

UHV will take 33-20 record into a first-round World Series tournament. The Jaguars may not learn their destination until Friday, but are likely headed to Lubbock.

"I knew this could be my last chance to play with this great group of guys," said Williams, who also hit a three-run homer in the first game and was named the tournament's most outstanding player. "I just knew I had to fight and help them and they were going to help me. We just fought through it and actually get to play some more games."

The Jaguars played one more game than they wanted because Lambuth (35-20), who made the trip from Jackson, Tenn., battered seven UHV pitchers for 21 hits in the first game.

UHV starter Bobby Gomez pitched to only two batters before leaving the game after hurting his back while running to cover first base.

Derrick Green had five hits for the Eagles, who batted around twice and scored three runs or more in four different innings.

The Jaguars battled back from an 11-4 deficit to tie the game on Williams' home run. But they had only two hits over the final four innings.

UHV's frustration continued into the second game when it didn't get a hit off of Lambuth starter Kory Bates through four innings.

"I think in this game you get tired mentally," UHV coach Terry Puhl said. "I was walking up and down the bench telling the guys on the bench to keep the guys encouraged. Those guys out there were a little bit physically tired, but they were more mentally tired."

UHV got the lift it needed in the pivotal game from pitchers Ray Maldonado and Austin Hitt. Maldonado, who pitched in Thursday night's 8-6 win over Lambuth, started and worked five innings.

He was relieved by Hitt, who pitched in Friday afternoon's win over LSU-Alexandria.

Maldonado and Hitt combined to limit Lambuth to six hits, striking out eight without issuing a walk.

"I have to tip my cap to Ray and Austin, the leadership they provided," Puhl said. "More importantly, giving up with their bodies to come back on such short notice to pitch again. The reason I went to Ray in the second game is I'm going to lose with my best."

The Jaguars were not about to lose, even if it took all day, which it did.

"Before the game I told him (Puhl) I'm ready," Maldonado said. "I know I threw a lot of pitches the last game. I told him I had to do this. This is my last year there are a lot of teammates and it's their senior year so I'm going to gut it out even though my arm was a little tight. I had to go out there and do it. I had no choice."

Lambuth 353 000 410 -- 16 21 1

UHV 130 160 000 -- 11 14 3

Turner Cripps, Matt Fike (6), Erin Keel (8) and Matt Bird. Bobby Gomez, Casey Newman (1), Rex Garner (3), Darrel Stevens (4), Colter Zoch (6), Mike Arevealo (7), Chris Neiser (8) and Tank Peterson. W: Fike (3-2). L: Zoch (2-2). Highlights: (L) Bryan Willsey 4-for-5, 2 2B,, 3 runs, 2 RBI; Mike Davis 2-for-4, 2-run HR, 3 runs, 2 RBI; Bart White 2-for-5, 2B, 2 RBI; Derrick Green 4-for-5, 2B, 4 RBI; Bird 4-for-5. (UHV) Zane Williams 3-for-5, 3-run HR, 2B, 5 RBI; John West 3-for-5; James Green 1-for-3, 3B, 4 runs, 3 SB; Tank Peterson 2-for-5, 2B, 3 RBI.

---

Lambuth 000 100 000 -- 2 6 1

UHV 000 011 31x -- 6 10 1

Kory Bates, Erin Keel (6), Matt Fike (6), Matt Riley (7), Dylan McCurry (8) and Matt Bird. Ray Maldonado, Austin Hitt (6) and Josh Darnell. W: Hitt (8-2). L: Riley (3-2). Highlights: (L) Bart White 2-for-4, solo HR; Derrick Green 1-for-4, 2B, RBI. (UHV) Zane Williams 1-for-3, 3-run HR; Tony Rothman 2-for-4, 2B, RBI; Josh Bromberg 2-for-3; Maldonado 5 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 5 SO; Hitt 4 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 3 SO. Records: Lambuth 35-20; UHV 33-14.

:D AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!CONGRATS ZANE & TEAM Best of luck. We hope y'all go all the way. Keep it up. Zane you have worked hard and given it 100% ever since Little League, You have continued with great work ethics, even when injured and in pain. You are proof that success is possible even when you come from a small school. Keep playing with heart and determination. It great to see one of our own, Representing Deweyville & The Devil's Pocket, athletically and academically well. KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a little footnote to the original article

After the game, UHV Rightfielder Zane Williams, with the two big 3-run homers Saturday was presented the Tournament's MVP... He hit .471 for the tourney with 10 RBIs and those two long balls... The jaguars also got their plaque for the tournament championship... Congrats to UHV for making it on to the NAIA National Tournament, which begins overall may 12th..

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder