District 19-4A Track Meet

Guest patriot117

Guest patriot117

Quick question: How many baseball teams in 19-4A were effected by the track meet today?

We have zero players who run track. Not that some could not help the track team, but it's just too hard to give both sports the attention they each deserve.

Guest patriot117

Usually more softball teams affected than baseball.  Usually if a kid plays baseball he does not run track, very hard to do both and be successful.

So why do we change our schedules for a track meet that nobody playing baseball runs in?

It only takes one kid.  I don't think its that disruptive to play on Monday instead of Tuesday.  My only gripe is that every year we seem to "forget" when the district TM is scheduled is and wind up adjusting the schedule mid-season to adjust.  

It only takes one kid.  I don't think its that disruptive to play on Monday instead of Tuesday.  My only gripe is that every year we seem to "forget" when the district TM is scheduled is and wind up adjusting the schedule mid-season to adjust. 

my thoughts too!  Just plan it from the get go. This does affect softball more than baseball it seems.

Guest patriot117

my thoughts too!  Just plan it from the get go. This does affect softball more than baseball it seems.

At a 5A school, this type of thing would never happen. I know that schools want to "maximize" their athletes ;), but sometimes you have to make choices in life. My son would love to run hurdles in track, but you only have so much of yourself to give to your sport. To think that you can just "show up" at a track meet and compete at a high level is just crazy.

Patriot - Who says anyone is just 'showing up' and running at the track meet?  How do you know they don't work out at both events? 

I agree that it is very difficult to do, but it is possible and if the coaches are willing to 'share' a multi sport athlete....good for them!

There is a female athlete in Dayton that plays softball AND runs track.  She is amazing.  She does her track work out BEFORE school and weekends.  She does her softball work out AFTER school. There are times she competes in track field events, leaves and plays a softball game, and has even come back to run the mile relay.

Anyone who is willing to put in that much work and devotion to his/her team, should be allowed to compete in both.  I admire and respect any student athlete, but especially a multi-sport athlete!

At a 5A school, this type of thing would never happen. I know that schools want to "maximize" their athletes ;), but sometimes you have to make choices in life. My son would love to run hurdles in track, but you only have so much of yourself to give to your sport. To think that you can just "show up" at a track meet and compete at a high level is just crazy.

Actually, I've seen many talented athletes over the years "just show up" at a track meet and compete at a high level. All of them were blessed with great speed.

Actually, I've seen many talented athletes over the years "just show up" at a track meet and compete at a high level. All of them were blessed with great speed.

sounds like you got to watch philip davis from BH.... dude hardly ever stretched. State champ in the 200 and 400 i believe... what  a talent.

Guest patriot117

Patriot - Who says anyone is just 'showing up' and running at the track meet?  How do you know they don't work out at both events? 

I agree that it is very difficult to do, but it is possible and if the coaches are willing to 'share' a multi sport athlete....good for them!

There is a female athlete in Dayton that plays softball AND runs track.  She is amazing.  She does her track work out BEFORE school and weekends.  She does her softball work out AFTER school. There are times she competes in track field events, leaves and plays a softball game, and has even come back to run the mile relay.

Anyone who is willing to put in that much work and devotion to his/her team, should be allowed to compete in both.  I admire and respect any student athlete, but especially a multi-sport athlete!

I commend any athlete willing to sacrifice so much of their time to two sports that compete in the same season. As parents, we did not allow our son to do that. He is a strong student and talented athlete. The track coach gave him the option to just run in the meets. We, as parents, did not feel that he could spend the amount of time preparing for both sports that are required to compete at a high level and not affect his school work. I am certain that people do it everywhere and are very successful. That is their choice.

Guest patriot117

Amen.  It's a choice. 

By the way....the girl I was referring to is an honor student and both parents are educators!

We are both educators as well. He is also an Honors Student. Academic All-District in football. That young lady is to be commended.

GCM has a young lady that is a cheerleader, runs Cross Country, starter on Varsity basketball and is now a starter on the Varsity softball team. All the while she has managed to maintain an A average in AP/Pre-AP classes.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami