Friendswood to compete in state title game today

Friendswood to compete in state title game today

By Lionel Green

The Daily News

Published April 11, 2009

Today is the battle of the Mustangs, and Friendswood could gallop away with a state title.

Friendswood (23-6-2) will play Richardson Pearce (25-1-2) for the Conference 4A state girls soccer championship on Birkelbach Field in Georgetown. Game time is 11 a.m.

The Friendswood girls practiced for about an hour and 10 minutes Friday morning.

“It was more just getting them out and running and loosening up and stretching,†Friendswood coach Laura Peter said. “We did a lot of shooting and touch work.â€

After holding off Wichita Falls Rider, 3-2, in a thrilling semifinal game Thursday, the Friendswood coaches and players stayed to watch Pearce defeat Boerne Champion, 2-1, in the other matchup.

“They’re a real good team,†said Peter, referring to Pearce. “I think they have a size advantage over us, but most teams do. They’ve only got one loss. We know they obviously can win a game when they need to.â€

Peter said Pearce is probably the best team Friendswood will face this season.

“If you just look at their record and the opponents they have played, I would think so,†she said.

Peter said her girls were a happy but tired bunch after Thursday’s win.

“We played that game, and it was very hot and sunny,†she said. “We got sunburned, and I think it drained the girls. They were pretty tired when we got back.â€

Program ‘exceeded expectations’

Peter started the girls soccer program at Friendswood and coached the first two teams in 1995 and 1996.

Peter returned to the head coaching position at Friendswood in 2004 and has guided the Lady Mustangs to the state semifinals the past four seasons, including a runner-up finish in 2007.

The girls soccer program has earned seven trips to the state semifinals overall, including a three-year run from 1999-2001 capped by a state championship in 2001.

On the sidelines of Thursday’s game, Peter rode a roller coaster of emotions as her team led by two goals twice, only to watch Rider cut the leads to one each time.

Nobody’s smile was bigger than hers when the crowd counted down the final 10 seconds of the game.

It meant Peter could finally relax for about 46 hours and share the day off with her players, a group of girls whom she calls “special†and who play with “big hearts.â€

But at 11 a.m. today, Peter will likely be on that roller coaster again.

“I’m one of those people who doesn’t get nervous until the game starts,†she said.

+++

Soccer Playoff

Conference 4A state soccer championship game

At Birkelbach Field in Georgetown

Friendswood (23-6-2) vs. Richardson Pearce (25-1-2), 11 a.m. today

Pearce was the better team today.  And, they made adjustments before and during the game that made it difficult for the girls to generate much offense.  FHS had its chances, but could not find the net.  All in all, it was a great end for what was supposed to be a somewhat down year, and after a very rocky start.  But, it is days like today that make the faithful wonder if only we had a real coach to go with all the talent.....BB where are you?

Tinker (or should I say LP),

First, read the post.  What I said was that it was a great end for what was supposed to be a somewhat down year.  It was supposed to be a somewhat down year because they graduated 6 starters, and about 2/3 of the 2008 varsity team that had gone to state the previous 3 years, and it wasn't clear how they would fill those holes.  However, a somewhat down year for FHS does not necessarily mean that they were being counted out for a regional title -- only that it wasn't going to be 7-0 romp in the regional final like the prior year. 

This year's group took their lumps early, but the key seniors hung tough, and avoided injuries.  And, some freshmen who were forced to play a bit earlier than normal (at least at FHS) stepped in and played great as starters.  Also, the keeper just kept getting better and better.  This year's players deserve all the credit in the world! 

Second, although FHS is blessed with loads of talent every year (20 plus Division 1 players every year), they truly have no coach.  LP never played the game, and knows almost nothing about the game, and her interactions with her players are berst characterized as difficult and rife with apparent miscommunications (that's as polite as I can put it).  She routinely plays girls off against one another and is known to favor players whose parents babysit and cook dinners for her.  Daily practices consist of the same 3 or 4 drills followed by scrimmages.  There is virtually no work on set pieces, re-starts, situational play, etc.  They play a basic 4-4-2 come heck or high water, regardless of the situation, and she gets outcoached at every state tournament.  I could go on, but you get the drift.

FF takes over as Head Coach of the Mustangs!  He knows everything there is to know, and they will now win every state title from now til he decides to retire.  You are of course volunteering, right?

20+ Div 1 players?  Compared to the Dallas teams' what - maybe 5?  I think you should do it FF!  Based on what ive heard on here, you are the only one truly qualified to take them all the way.

Congrats Friendswood on a great season.  Way to represent our region at State.  Nine seniors sounds like a lot of experience to lose.  Best of luck next season.

Guest Newbie

FYI the Pearce team is composed of Premier League, D1 and ODP players from Sting, Dallas Texans, etc.  You get the drift.  They have the best corner kick set piece I've ever seen.  It's almost always a goal each time.  Their throw ins aren't bad either.

I was being sarcastic FF.  The Dallas area teams: WF, WF Rider, Pearce, Plano, etc are always stacked with div 1 players.  Probably a good reason they hold most of the titles.  However, all of those other teams with 20+ div 1 players in that area (including Rider, whom FW defeated) were not in the final game of the season like FW and RP.  Two quality teams got together, and the outcome was one team had to win.  Heard FW owned the second half with most of the oppurtunities.  LP must have made some adjustments.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami