JOHNNY DISHON

TLB0

he needs to transfer.

all the outfielders are young, and they are all better than him

First, I am going to point-blank disagree with the the statement "they are all better than him".  Granted, that is a matter of opinion ... but it is just incorrect.

LSU has a proverbial "glut" of outfielders.  Many will be gone after this season:

Jared Mitchell:  starts in LF;  Jr. and projected to be drafted early.  He'll be gone.

Derek Helenihi:  started last night in RF;  Sr. and gone to graduation.

Leon Landry:  stars in CF;  Soph and most likely gone after his jr. year to the draft.

Blake Dean:  DH who insisted he get time in OF to help his draft status.  Coach acquiesed.  Dean will be gone after this year.

Chris McGhee:  Sr. who is UT player.  Gone to graduation.

Nick Pontiff:  Sr. whose family is well connected at LSU.  Hitting .200 in limited action.  Gone to graduation.

Chad Jones:  Soph who also plays football.  Every year it is an issue on what he'll do.  Currently in Spring Football.  Also, has history  of  attitude/run-ins with law.  Question mark on his status. 

Mike Mahtook:  Fresh. who has seen limited action (7 ABs all year).  Gave up year of eligibility for 7 ABs.  Worth it?

Next year, Johnny projects to start for them.  He can redshirt, keep a year of eligibility, and is still draft-eligible after next year.  Why waste a year (like Mahtook) fighting for a few ABs?

As far as transferring, that (under the new NCAA rules) is not a very viable option.  If he transfers to a D1 school, he has to sit out a full year.  He can transfer to a JC and play but why do that?  He'll play next year at LSU.

he needs to transfer.

First, I am going to point-blank disagree with the the statement "they are all better than him".  Granted, that is a matter of opinion ... but it is just incorrect.

LSU has a proverbial "glut" of outfielders.  Many will be gone after this season:

Jared Mitchell:  starts in LF;  Jr. and projected to be drafted early.  He'll be gone.

Leon Landry:  stars in CF;  Soph and most likely gone after his jr. year to the draft.

Blake Dean:  DH who insisted he get time in OF to help his draft status.  Coach acquiesed.  Dean will be gone after this year.

Nick Pontiff:  Sr. whose family is well connected at LSU.  Hitting .200 in limited action.  Gone to graduation.

Chad Jones:  Soph who also plays football.  Every year it is an issue on what he'll do.  Currently in Spring Football.  Also, has history  of  attitude/run-ins with law.  Question mark on his status. 

Mike Mahtook:  Fresh. who has seen limited action (7 ABs all year).  Gave up year of eligibility for 7 ABs.  Worth it?

Next year, Johnny projects to start for them.  He can redshirt, keep a year of eligibility, and is still draft-eligible after next year.  Why waste a year (like Mahtook) fighting for a few ABs?

As far as transferring, that (under the new NCAA rules) is not a very viable option.  If he transfers to a D1 school, he has to sit out a full year.  He can transfer to a JC and play but why do that?  He'll play next year at LSU.

Geaux Tigers ! .......and I'm a Horn.  ;)

I'm not aware of any rule changes in NCAA but I will say, when my son played for Seminole in 99 they had a catcher (Cade Johnson) transfer around mid-term from Texas because not getting playing time and the players in front of him. He took the role of starting catcher, went on to set the current record on HRs in JUCO, was taken in the second round by Mill. IF he would have stayed at Texas there is no telling what could have happened, you never know what a yr will do as some kids excell with the coaching they get in the first yr in college ball. BTW Cade was offered a redshirt or transfer he took the later. BTW redshirt or not a player has 5 yrs to play 4 even if a medical redshirt...or thats the way it was...

he needs to transfer.

He was dressed and on the field Friday night at the game. He even came over and took a picture with my two boys. There were a lot of rumors flying around about him redshirting and transferring to Miami. I'm not sure how valid any of the talk was but when I asked about him that was the talk. There was a lot of talk about the outfielders they had coming in. Not one person had anything bad to say about him just that he was in an unfortunate situation.

The New rule is correct as MIF04 described, it was put in by the NCAA a year ago because all of the transfers, it also came with a minimum scholarship of 35% for 27 players on the roster with a Max of 35.

Now if he transfer to a JUCO which he should not if he will start next year, the rule that applies is he must graduate from that JUCO with a 2 year degree b4 he can go back to another D1. This rule we are very familiar with since it applied to us.

Johnny hang in there, MIF04 keep us updated and by the way how is that Ole Miss Rebel doing?

he needs to transfer.

he has pro potential and he knows it, as well as everyone else.

but he needs to redshirt and transfer.

and TD, if the rules are the same as the are in football.. which i believe they are.

redshirt players are allowed to practice, live, and DRESS for all home games.

they cannot dress for away games.. or travel.

but everything else they can do

(1)  30 players can suit up for home SEC games but only 25 eligible to play.  SEC can travel only 25.  Out of conference can suit up as many as they want. 

(2)  I am not sure transferring helps ... since you have to sit out that entire year.

(3)  Ole Miss is doing good.  Ranked #12 in BA poll; Tim's starting at 2B and hitting .360.  Nothing to complain about.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami