Should a shot clock be implemented into high school basketball?

Guest nostradamus

I haven't read all the responses so don't kill me if I repeat something that was already said.

There won't be a shot clock in high school and the reasons are multiple:

1.  It is tough enough to find someone to run the regular clock and do a good job of that.  Now you have to find someone else to run a separate clock and they have to re-start it every time the ball touches the rim......uhhhh.......good luck.

2.  A shot clock would actually slow the game down.  Look at college and pro.  What do teams do.......they milk the clock on each possession and run sets everytime down.  There are very few teams that still run and gun with the shot clock in place.

3.  The shot clock can work at the college and pro level because those players are chosen by the coaches and not by what school district they live in.  Therefore, obviously, the players are more talented and can all play at those levels.  However, in high school, the coaches get what the gene pool produces.  So, in high school, some coaches only chance to win is to spread the floor and shorten the game as much as possible.  IMO, it is not right to take that away from a coach when he has little control over who is on his team.

4.  MONEY!!!  Gonna be tough to justify requiring every school in Texas to pay for the technology required to have shot clocks put in.  Especially in these economic times.

Shot clock would be very bad for high school basketball!

I haven't read all the responses so don't kill me if I repeat something that was already said.

1.  It is tough enough to find someone to run the regular clock and do a good job of that.  Now you have to find someone else to run a separate clock and they have to re-start it every time the ball touches the rim......uhhhh.......good luck.

2.  A shot clock would actually slow the game down.  Look at college and pro.  What do teams do.......they milk the clock on each possession and run sets everytime down.  There are very few teams that still run and gun with the shot clock in place.

3.  The shot clock can work at the college and pro level because those players are chosen by the coaches and not by what school district they live in.  Therefore, obviously, the players are more talented and can all play at those levels.  However, in high school, the coaches get what the gene pool produces.  So, in high school, some coaches only chance to win is to spread the floor and shorten the game as much as possible.  IMO, it is not right to take that away from a coach when he has little control over who is on his team.

4.  MONEY!!!  Gonna be tough to justify requiring every school in Texas to pay for the technology required to have shot clocks put in.  Especially in these economic times.

You know, I was going say this in my post, but I will let the more educated man lead the way. ;) ;D

Good post, nos. Dead on!

I understand what you are saying but if schools can afford 7 people in the press box, artificial turf, jumbo trons, 9 coaches on the sideline for a football game I think money being an issue is a cope out excuse.  

I don't think colleges milk the clock.  I think it takes them that much time to get through their sets and get a shot they want.  Full game Run and gun is out the window in the college game because it has been proven time and time again in recent history that you can't win championships with that style.

I heard a lot of the same arguments against the 3 point shot before it was implemented too!

Guest nostradamus

Reason #1 in my post is reason enough not to have it.  There is no way to hold schools accountable for having someone qualified to do it.  It would completely screw up high school basketball and there is no way around that.

I understand what you are saying but if schools can afford 7 people in the press box, artificial turf, jumbo trons, 9 coaches on the sideline for a football game I think money being an issue is a cope out excuse.  

I don't think colleges milk the clock.  I think it takes them that much time to get through their sets and get a shot they want.  Full game Run and gun is out the window in the college game because it has been proven time and time again in recent history that you can't win championships with that style.

I heard a lot of the same arguments against the 3 point shot before it was implemented too!

i agree totally

Reason #1 in my post is reason enough not to have it.  There is no way to hold schools accountable for having someone qualified to do it.  It would completely screw up high school basketball and there is no way around that.

You act like it would require specialty training.  Geez I thought schools were in the business of teaching things. If your school can't find someone smart enough to run a shot clock you need to be disbanded.  Sounds more like since most off season football coaches run the clock you either a) don't think they are very bright or B) think they are  lazy and could care less?  Schools can't be held accountable.  lmao 

your 3rd reason is what does it for me no shot clock

Guest nostradamus
You act like it would require specialty training.  Geez I thought schools were in the business of teaching things. If your school can't find someone smart enough to run a shot clock you need to be disbanded.  Sounds more like since most off season football coaches run the clock you either a) don't think they are very bright or B) think they are  lazy and could care less?  Schools can't be held accountable.  lmao

uhhh....I coach at Hardin-Jefferson, I coach basketball, and we play a very fast pace and I still don't think a shot clock should be implemented in high school.

I also believe that claiming that Texas is "behind the rest of the nation" in basketball is a putrid attempt at best for an excuse as to why we don't have a shot clock.  High school games that use the shot clock are the exception and not the rule for this nation.  The games you see on TV are on TV for a reason.  They involve kids that Nike, Adidas and the likes are trying to promote.  How do you think those TV spots get paid for?  The ONLY reason they may use a shot clock in those games (which I still don't ever recall watching Lebron's HS games on TV and seeing a shot clock involved) is because they can afford to have a fourth official there who is qualified to run a shot clock.

Train someone to pay attention for an entire game to when the ball hits the rim??? Seriously, and "train" them to not get caught up watching the game but ONLY the ball hitting the rim???  Doubt it.  Not at the high school level.  You are from a 2A school that I am very familiar with as I used to be a head coach very near there.  Ya'll would have just as much trouble finding someone who could keep that clock as any other school (small or large) in the state.

uhhh....I coach at Hardin-Jefferson, I coach basketball, and we play a very fast pace and I still don't think a shot clock should be implemented in high school.

I also believe that claiming that Texas is "behind the rest of the nation" in basketball is a putrid attempt at best for an excuse as to why we don't have a shot clock.  High school games that use the shot clock are the exception and not the rule for this nation.  The games you see on TV are on TV for a reason.  They involve kids that Nike, Adidas and the likes are trying to promote.  How do you think those TV spots get paid for?  The ONLY reason they may use a shot clock in those games (which I still don't ever recall watching Lebron's HS games on TV and seeing a shot clock involved) is because they can afford to have a fourth official there who is qualified to run a shot clock.

Train someone to pay attention for an entire game to when the ball hits the rim??? Seriously, and "train" them to not get caught up watching the game but ONLY the ball hitting the rim???  Doubt it.  Not at the high school level.  You are from a 2A school that I am very familiar with as I used to be a head coach very near there.  Ya'll would have just as much trouble finding someone who could keep that clock as any other school (small or large) in the state.

GET'EM NOS!!! ;D

GET'EM NOS!!! ;D

Funny Aggie you start a thread for people to discuss a shot clock but now seem to think not everyone is entitled to an opinion.  I can respect his opinion on not wanting a shot clock for valid basketball reason but money and lack of a person to push a button are just excuses that have nothing to do with the actual level of play.  I am glad Sabine made it one round further than Silsbee if for no other reason than I am sure it wiped that smug know it all attitude off your face at least for a day!  ;)

Guest nostradamus
can respect his opinion on not wanting a shot clock for valid basketball reason but money and lack of a person to push a button are just excuses that have nothing to do with the actual level of play.

This statement is very confusing.  Money and qualified personnel to run a shot clock have EVERYTHING to do with why there can't and shouldn't be one in high school.  Surely you are aware of how many schools there are in Texas and how many of them actually are suffering financially right now?

Oh, you are entitled to your opinion, Sabine. I just agree with Nos.

Also, if you need to throw things in my face to make you feel better, so be it.

BTW, Sabine's success or lack of has nothing to do with my smugness of Silsbee. You kid yourself if you think otherwise.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder