Should a shot clock be implemented into high school basketball?

After hearing about the NW/Sabine game and then reading another thread about stall ball, I would like to know if you think the UIL should implement a shot clock in high school basketball? 35 second? 45 second? Would it be good for the game? Give me your reasons why.

Also, if you are against a shot clock, give your reasons why.

I would be for having a shot clock at the high school level. The only thing that Iam not sure of is how long the shot clock should be. With quarters lasting just 8 minutes I think I would be in favor of either a 25 or 30 second shot clock. Anything more than that I would more than likely be opposed to.

There will probably never be a shot clock at the high school level, but if there was it would drastically change the style of play for many, many teams across the state.

Guest spinks

After hearing about the NW/Sabine game and then reading another thread about stall ball, I would like to know if you think the UIL should implement a shot clock in high school basketball? 35 second? 45 second? Would it be good for the game? Give me your reasons why.

Also, if you are against a shot clock, give your reasons why.

I would love a 40 to 45 second shot clock in high school basketball.  It would give the teams who have a slow developing offense a chance to set it up and run it but it would also keep the game moving. I think the ONLY reason it has not been done to this point is the difficulty of getting the technology in EVERY gym.  It is on every other level except high school.  I believe the game is meant to be played and not sit and waste away an entire quarter.  One mans opinion here but I think what happened in Tyler was ridiculous!!!!!!

No they should not......  It is part of the game.... If you don't like the spread, learn how to defend it correctly.  If run correctly, it can devestate a team....

If they do this, they also should outlaw zone defenses, as they make the game boring as well.

I personally don't want a shot clock in high school. I think the stall just adds another dimension to the game.

Also, to follow up on what Chad just posted, after experiencing the mess with the scoreboard operator at the regional tournament, it would be unrealistic to expect every school in the state of Texas to have a compatent clock operator.

Guest spinks

No they should not......  It is part of the game.... If you don't like the spread, learn how to defend it correctly.  If run correctly, it can devestate a team....

If they do this, they also should outlaw zone defenses, as they make the game boring as well.

No one is talking about running a spread.  We are talking about a team sitting at half court and the other team not making an attempt at defending them.  Running the spread is an art and you are right if you can do it it can kill a team.  Big difference between that and what happened in Tyler.  As for getting rid of zones..........I guess you get board watching HJ about 70 percent of the time then right?

Guest DickVitale

Shot clock will not happen in HS basketball....Extra unnecessary expense...Coach! Thats how you counter what happened in Tyler this weekend.....COACH....You cannot just change or amend rules because "they are not playing fair"...Its a form of strategy....Coach your way out of it..If you can.  ;)

well if they dont want a shot clock then they should crack down on refs when calling 5 sec calls on D becuase they never do. It is hard to play solid D and not foul when you never get a 5 sec call.

I am all for a 30 to 45 sec shot clock in high school. I think it would be better for the fans and really pick up the game. Alot of teams are scared to play ball so they get up 1 or 2 and stall. I have seen teams start stalling before the third qrt and it really takes away from the game. Come on who wants to see another 5-3 game. Basketball has progressed into a faster paced game with more offense and less defense. Plus most teams would never worry about the shot clock going off.

Texas High schools have always been behind the times in basketball.  We are catching up with the rest of the country in a lot of ways in recent years and producing a better basketball product but we still have a long way to go.  A shot clock would bring us into this century!!!  And dickvitale I would think a shot clock would make a coach actually have to coach a lot more during a game and in practice.  FYI Sabine coach knows how to Coach that is why our players can actually shoot!!!    

Guest DickVitale

Texas High schools have always been behind the times in basketball.  We are catching up with the rest of the country in a lot of ways in recent years and producing a better basketball product but we still have a long way to go.  A shot clock would bring us into this century!!!  And dickvitale I would think a shot clock would make a coach actually have to coach a lot more during a game and in practice.  FYI Sabine coach knows how to Coach that is why our players can actually shoot!!!    

How is that? If you KNOW that the opposition MUST shoot within an alloted time frame, and they are not very good shooters (particularly in HS where typically there are only one or two that can) wouldnt a smart coach just zone them up and wait for a shot to be hoisted, box out and go get it? Now, this is not the case in EVERY HS situation, but it is a reasonable assessment of it...Your coach should know what to do when a team stalls....DONT SIT THERE AND LET HIM DO IT! Especially if you are DOWN... ::)

I personally don't want a shot clock in high school. I think the stall just adds another dimension to the game.

Also, to follow up on what Chad just posted, after experiencing the mess with the scoreboard operator at the regional tournament, it would be unrealistic to expect every school in the state of Texas to have a compatent clock operator.

Thats no joke they were horrible.

How is that? If you KNOW that the opposition MUST shoot within an alloted time frame, and they are not very good shooters (particularly in HS where typically there are only one or two that can) wouldnt a smart coach just zone them up and wait for a shot to be hoisted, box out and go get it? Now, this is not the case in EVERY HS situation, but it is a reasonable assessment of it...Your coach should know what to do when a team stalls....DONT SIT THERE AND LET HIM DO IT! Especially if you are DOWN... ::)

Just because you don't come out doesn't mean you don't know how.  That is just as much a coaching decision as stalling.  You did make my point for me though.  Coaches might actually have to get in the gym and teach how to shoot the ball instead of  just letting the kids play throw and go!  It might actually help if Texas had more basketball coaches instead of football coaches assigned to basketball!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed