Coach Sims Stepping Down at HJ

whsalum

After a stellar career that spanned 30 seasons I've heard Coach Sims is stepping down as head coach at HJ.I've had the privilege of watching her throughout her career as a high school player,college standout and as a coach.I will miss the pre game scouting reports and the excitement of the post game calls.While I don't have her career stats on hand I know her clubs at HJ won 20 or more games a season for 12 of her seasons at the helm.She has been a true ambassador for the girls game in SETX.To borrow a line from Lonesome Dove"It's been a helluva ride".I'll miss seeing ya in the box Sis.

Guest tigersvoice

Thanks for all the thrills and basketball memories, Coach Sims.  You were a great part of making H-J basketball the class act that it is.  You will be missed.  I wish you good fortune in what you have chosen to do.

This lady  hands down defines what a teacher and coach should be. Although my daughter stepped out of playing basketball after playing for Coach Sims for two years, as a parent I can tell you that I cried more tears after her decision MAINLY because of Coach Sims. We had to make a  decision that would enable my daughter to scholorship academically and in another sport heading to college. This coach completely supported us and understood. She grieved to loose a player that had been so passionate about the sport, but supported a young lady that had to make a life changing decision for her future. Coach Sims has a heart for the game, a compassion like no other I have ever seen in a leadership role, and loves to win, but also cares and loves her team members when loosing. I have watched coaches for years demean and show little respect to their players. That was not Coach Sims. She single handedly raised self-esteem, encouraged when there was a loss of character and integrity  and helped them turn it around, few have left her bench without a super-sized assurance that they can be anything they want to be. This is her Legacy and she should know that this defines all to those of us rich enough to have been a part of her world.

Thank you Coach,  a very Gratefully Mom

Thank you all so much for the kind words.  This was not an easy decision but after 30 years as a head coach, it's time for someone else to take the reigns.  I have had so many wonderful memories over the years.  I have been so blessed to have been able to make a career doing something I have loved doing.  Great players make good coaches and I have had alot of those.  Not only have I had the opportunity to coach good players, I have coached so many fine young ladies.  I can not imagine having a job more satisfying than working with young people and helping to mold their lives.

To my brother......thanks for all of your support.  You have been my biggest fan and I will miss calling you after games to talk about things.  There were nights when I was so excitedthat I couldn't sleep and nights when I was so disappointed I couldn't sleep, and you listened through all of them!!!!  You have always been there for me and I love you for it.

Thanks to the Hardin Jefferson adminstration for having faith in me some 12 years ago.  I have had the TOTAL support of this adminstration.  In my opinion, there is not a better school district, community, or better kids than what you will find at HJ. 

It has been a tremendous ride and now, I'm going to sit in those stands and cheer on my Lady Hawks!!!  (That's got to be easier on my knees!)

Thanks to everyone who has supported me over the years.  It has been a blast!

Carol,

I know we've talked about this a bunch over the past weeks, but let me add myself to this list of Carol Sims' fans on this thread. We go waaaaay back to the early 90's when you were at Nederland and I was a Lumberton. Over the years we have had some thrillers against each other. You are one of the toughest opponents I've had to prepare for. You are a class act and your teams are always extremely well coached. I personally know the many hours you have spent not only teaching and preparing your kids for basketball games but also preparing them for life. You coach the "old school" way that I was brought up to teach and coach. Thanks for being a friend to me over the years! In this profession, you are one friend that I'll always cherish! I wish you the best in whatever you do!

God Bless You,

Coach Bob Killam

Silsbee Lady Tigers

Carol

First of all I didn't know WHSALUM was your brother.  He always has a good perspective on the game and I appreciate his comments.

Second, the other night when you told me you were going to hang-em up, I thought it was just the end of a long season and you would change your mind.  I guess we as officials have a little different insight into coaches.  I have always said that outside of the six foot box on the sidelines that coaches were the best people to pal around with.  The difference for you is that you were even ok inside the box.  I don't know if you realize that you and I go all the way back to Nederland.  I know that is dating both of us but so be it.

Carol, I don't know if you know how much of an impact that you have had on all the people around you, but it has been unbelievable.  The children, parents, and officials who have come in contact with you, will miss you a great deal.  I am at the top of that list.

your friend

Joe Whitted

I had the opportunity to coach with Carol for one year and what a year for the Lady Hawks. A trip to Austin!!! Carol is a class act on and off the court and will be greatly missed as HJ's head coach. Once again congrats on a great career and you get my vote for the Hall of Fame.

Guest spinks

Coach Sims,

Though you never directly coached me we had such a great relationship.  I remember getting to the gym at HJ every morning at 5:30 so I could become a better shooter and there you were  EVERY SINGLE MORNING whether it was running laps or helping us out shooting.  You asked how the game came out, how I played, and always offered your insight on how to get better.  My brother (Clay Davis) puts very few coaches in that greatness category and you were always one that he thought that way of.  Even though I loved playing for the coaches I played for in High School I always wondered what it would be like if you dumped the girls and coached the boys.  You would have been just as great.  You are what every Teacher/Coach should strive to be.  Even though you are called a coach you were a true Teacher of the game of basketball and the game of life.  Congratulations on a great career and know that you impacted a young man that you never even coached!!!!! Enjoy yourself!!

Chris Davis

SE Texas girls basketball will surely miss her,  :'(  She is truly a class act and such a wonderful person to be around. I can remember the first Lady Hawk game I went to and I was so impressed with her as a coach, I couldn't believe girls basketball was so intense. She has done so much for the lady Hawk program, everyone in District knew you were in for a game when you played HJ, and she is broadly respected in the coaching community. Thank You Ms. Sims for all of your tireless efforts, countless hours, and dedication you have given to HJ. Not many people understand and realize how much heart you put into your job, but I did, wait thats not true I only saw a small portion and that portion was a lot. Ms. Sims always went above and beyond for the kids and they knew it, that's why they have always played so hard for her.  I consider Ms. Sims as my friend and I hope she feels the same way. I will surely miss seeing her on the court but I bet her knees will disagree with me. ;D  Hopefully she can sit by me now at the games and root for Ms. Davis and those lady Hawks. 

Carol I havehad the pleasure of watching you coach since the old Nederland Bulldog days when I was just a teenage boy. I was so excited to find you at HJ when I moved to the area. The only thing that disappoints me about your decision is that my daughter misses the opportunity to play for a great coach. But I understand that there is a time and a place for everything and this is your time to step down and enjoy life. You have touched so many young peoples lives over the years and will be missed. May God bless you as you finish out your career as a teacher at HJ and look forward to seeing you in the stands next year.

A Former Student From Nederland

Guest bleed orange

I have been on vacation for 2 weeks and heard this and have mixed emotions. Coach Sims, to me your legacy is not about wins or loses. Your legacy can be best described by preparing young people for life in the real world. You did an excellent job coach. You were "old school", you taught them that through hard work and discipline a young person can make it in society. Isn't that what life is all about? I owe a lot to Ed Peveto, my coach in football. Your kids will see you the same way. Parents do most of the training but a coach has a major impact also. Sometimes a coach is the only parent a child has. Sad but true. Your teams always played with the up most respect for their opponent, and class. That is a reflection of their coach. That is how I will remember you, not the wins or loses but the "CLASS" in which you and your players conducted themselves on the field of battle. Your retirement is well deserved but you will be like Brett Favre. You will come back. If you do and you will, where ever you coach the kids will benefit.

Thanks for the memories,

Keith Little

• 5 weeks later...

Coach Sims, you are a class act. Your kids were always great sports, polite, and respectful. Your knowledge of the game is immense, and I have shamelessly stolen plays and drills from you, trying to be a better coach. But you never stopped trying to be a better coach yourself. You are selfless towards your kids and your peers, and I want to thank you for all the advice you have given me over the years. You will be missed in the world of girls' high school basketball, and I will miss the fact that I never got at least one win over you. LOL

Take care of yourself coach, and don't be surprised if you get a phone call next year to coach an All-Star game.

Your the best,

Lin Ellis

Sam Rayburn HS

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder