WO-S vs. OF 3rd Place Updates....WO-S Wins By 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KFDM COOP

This was a frustrating game to watch and heres what happened.  Orangefield led the entire game until the last 2 minutes of the game.  Evans was on fire in the first half hitting 6 3 pointers.  In the 2nd half, he only took a couple shots.  Orangefield was 2-12 from the free throw line until the last couple minutes.  But the thing about this game i'll always remember which i think determined the game was that Zach Hayes fouled out with 6 minutes left in the game.  OF went on to score 2 points over the next 5 minutes which allowed WOS to come back and win this game.  The refereeing was good with the exception of a couple very questionable calls on Hayes.  Not only that, i only counted 4 fouls on him but he somehow had 5 which was likely an error by the scores table.  His "5th" foul was also called on the wrong person.  Another one of his fouls he got knocked to the ground (which shouldve been a charge) then a guy shoots and #55 gets the rebound and trips over Hayes and Hayes gets a foul call.  Theres no doubt in my mind if Hayes doesnt foul out that OF wins the game tonight.  Give WOS credit for coming back.  Quest Watson pretty much was the man for them.  He's very good, and i'll be surprised if he doesnt get 1st team all district.  Good luck to WOS in bidistrict vs Coldspring, i think they should be able to win this game.

WO-S rallies to down Bobcats to earn playoff bid

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

VIDOR — In a tale of two halves, it was the West Orange-Stark Mustangs that won the most important one.

Trailing Orangefield 35-20 at the half, the Mustangs outscored the Bobcats 38-20 in the last 16 minutes and scored 13 of the first 14 points in the final period to walk away with a 58-55 victory and the third-place playoff spot out of District 21-3A.

The Mustangs (22-11)‚ rode the slim shoulders of senior Marquest Watson, who popped for a game-high 28 points, 15 of them coming in the second half.

WO-S also received 16 points from Donte Green, who made 9-of-12 from the free-throw line down the stretch to put away the Bobcats (19-15).

The Mustang win offset a superb performance by Bobcat junior Derrick Evans. Evans poured in 23 points, 19 of them coming in the first half after he hit six three-pointers.

The Mustangs will face District 22-3A runnerup Coldspring (17-11) at Dayton High School Tuesday at 6 p.m. in the Class 3A Region III bidistrict playoffs as part of a doubleheader. District 21-3A runnerup Hardin-Jefferson will face 23-3A third-place unit Liberty at 8 p.m.

Mustang head coach Zack Quinn kept the Mustangs calm at intermission despite the Bobcat explosion in the first two periods.

“I told the kids over and over that the game is far from over, let’s just go get some stops,†said Quinn. “Orangefield hit us with a three-point barrage there for awhile. We were finally able to slow down the Evans kid in the second half and that was key.â€

As for as Watson’s play?

“You just can’t say enough about Marquest Watson,†said Quinn. “He’s been our general out there all year and he played a great game the entire game. He was knocking everything down in that second half. Green gave us some great defense and he made so many key free throws. Justin Francis also gave us big minutes tonight.â€

Francis finished with seven points and nine rebounds.

The Mustangs outscored the Bobcats 16-11 in the third to pull to within 46-36. Then the bottom fell out on the Bobcats.

The Mustangs scored 13 of the fourth’s first 14 points as Watson scored seven in the run and Francis and Green added three apiece.

The Bobcats didn’t get a field goal in the period until the 30-second mark when Stefan Addison scored inside.

Francis gave the Mustangs their first lead with 2:17 left when he grabbed a big rebound and stuck it in. A slick Watson drive upped the lead to 51-47 with 1:36 left.

Two Green free throws seemed to seal it for WO-S with 0:11 left to make it 56-51.

The scrappy Bobcats weren’t through though. Gritty senior guard Tyler Angelle , who had 15 points, hit a running three-pointer just beyond the key to make it 56-54 and he was fouled on the play with 0:05 left. Angelle went to the line and attempted to miss the foul shot on purpose so the Bobcats could possibly get the rebound to tie or possibly take the lead but the ball rattled hard off the backboard and fell through the basket to make it 56-55.

The Bobcats had to foul Green, who calmly drained both foul shots with 0:04 left.

Angelle got off a desperation three-pointer from just beyond halfcourt at the buzzer but it failed and the Mustangs held on.

“I’m so grateful for this one,†said Watson. “Orangefield is such a tough team and those guys played hard tonight. Coach Quinn never gave up on us and we fought to the end. I like this gym. I was really feeling it tonight.â€

Quinn was thrilled with the comeback.

“We played with a lot of energy,†said Quinn. “We started out well with it and we lost our edge in the second period,†said Quinn. “Give Orangefield and Coach (Rea) Wrinkle credit. They were busting threes from everywhere. Iâ€m really thrilled for our kids and we’re looking forward to the playoffs.â€

Orangefield’s Zach Hayes, the team’s leading scorer on the season, finished with 13 points but had to leave with 5:53 left in the game when he fouled out with the Bobcats leading 46-41.

Orangefield led 14-10 at the end of the first period with Evans scoring seven points and Angelle five. Watson kept WO-S close with seven.

Evans found his range even more when he unleashed four three-pointers on the Mustangs in the second to lead a 21-10 spurt. Hayes also muscled his way in the paint for nine of his points in the period.

WO-S whittled away at the Bobcats in the third as Watson scored seven points and Green added four. Angelle scored five for Orangefield in the period.

Both squads finished with 28 rebounds.

Orangefield’s Casey Sparks pulled down a team-high nine for the Bobcats while Addison had eight. Darius Davis added five boards for the Mustangs behind Francis’ effort.

The Mustangs finished with just nine turnovers while the Bobcats had just 10.

WO-S went 16-of-25 from the free-throw line while the Bobcats were just 9-of-18.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami