BCLL getting help from City of Houston

BCLL getting help from City of Houston

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

The City of Houston is showing that they have big hearts Saturday.

It will help their neighbors from Bridge City get its Little League back on solid footing at 5 p.m. in the Baseball Bar at Minute Maid Park.

There will be a special fundraising reception to help rebuild the BCLL, which will be hosted by Reid Ryan, president and CEO of Ryan-Sanders Baseball, Don Sanders of Ryan-Sanders Baseball and Co-Owner of the Round Rock Express and Corpus Christi Hooks, Houston Mayor Bill White, Houston City Council Member and ice Mayor Pro-Team Sue Lovell, former Houston City Council Member Bert Keller, special guest Senator Tommy Williams and BCLL President Brigg Patterson.

“We’re so thrilled about the City of Houston giving us a helping hand,†said Patterson. “They’re far enough away, where they didn’t have to do anything like this but they are. There are so many special people helping us out and they deserve a lot of gratitude.â€

The BCLL received close to five feet of water in their ballparks. Backstops were wiped away and floating debris ate up fences.

“It has been a tough situation for everyone involved,†said Patterson. “So many folks here have grown up in the Little League Park. The whole town suffered so much devastation. We have a lot of volunteers here over the years, but it’s been hard to get the parks back in nice order when everyone is so busy fixing their own houses and their own lives. Bridge City is getting back to order slowly but surely. We have resilient folks here that always bounce back.â€

All of the funds will go to restoring or rebuilding the parks. Other sponsors include WorkForce Solutions of Southeast Texas, which has already provided laborers in getting the park back up; Houston Contractors Association; Neighborhood Centers Inc; Limb Design, ARAMARK, and the Houston Astros.

The BCLL looks to rebound as quickly as possible.

“We’ve already received a couple gracious $5,000 donations that has things kickstarted,†said Patterson. “The cost to repair the field and facilities has been estimated at close to $107,000. We not only suffered damage with the fields, our concessions got beat up well. We lost freezers and refrigerators and such. It takes a lot to keep a Little League up and running. We couldn’t be more gracious towards the City of Houston and the other sponsors for all that they’re doing.â€

All contributions at the event are tax-deductible and will be recognized at the following levels: hit a Grand Slam with a $10,000 or more contribution; hit a Home Run with a contribution of $5,000; hit a Triple with a contribution of $2,500; hit a Double with a $1,000 contribution; and hit a Single with a $500 donation.

Patterson, who has been president of BCLL the last five years, is excited about the upcoming season, which starts in late March.

“Five years ago, we had about 650 kids competing,†said Patterson. “Last year we had 925, which was amazing. We were all worried that we would lose a bunch of kids by the hundreds. Things are looking up though. About 820 kids have already registered early. We’re still having a late registration soon. It would be something if we surpass last year’s players.â€

Patterson and the BCLL are still proud to have the Challenge League for kids as well.

“We were one of the first to have a Challenge League in Southeast Texas and we’re so proud of our kids that participate each year,†said Patterson. “We still plan on having it for years to come. I just want to let people know that it’s not going away and it will still be free of charge.â€

The event was a huge success with many thanks going to the people of Houston that arranged for the benefit as well as the local people that helped.The funds raised should get the league started on repairs, which will continue through the season.The event was first class!

• 2 weeks later...

The event was a huge success with many thanks going to the people of Houston that arranged for the benefit as well as the local people that helped.The funds raised should get the league started on repairs, which will continue through the season.The event was first class!

"started" on repairs?  from what I understand, the amount donated / raised was a large amount.  with the dollar figure I was quoted, the league should start, finish, and still have money left over!!  In addition to that money, there is also the registration fees each parent paid PLUS the concession stand fee PLUS the split on the candy sales.  BTW: can anyone answer me why the expiration date on the candy is within the next few months ?  was the candy left over from last year?  the date concerns me because it tells me the candy was not "new" candy.

Just wondering .. it still taste good! Believe me, I've had my share of those chocolate almonds lately.

Obviously you have no clue about what it cost to run the little league.  Why do you even get on here and talk like that.  This league is successful because people do the right thing.  The board has worked very hard at making things a success.  The repairs will be done in a timely manner.  If you would like you could go price the cost of replacing everything in the concession stands(2) All fences were damaged, the netting over the park, 2 zero turn lawn mowers, tillers, all equipment in storage etc... etc...   Please don't come to B.C. this year and start trouble like you have in Orange...  If the candy is not to your satisfaction call someone but don't sit in Orange and run your mouth on this board about a group of people that volunteer and work very hard to keep things going for these kids. 

Not to mention all but a couple of board members houses were flooded and the repairs are just getting started. 

Every year and everywhere you have been you have complained about something.  Posts like the one you did can cause nothing but trouble.  If you have an issue you need to bring it to the board. >:( >:( >:(

queenb77630  with all of this knowledge that you have for what it cost to repair and run a league the size of BCLL why have you not stepped up and put it to good use and VOLUNTEER at the ballpark.I do volunteer and spend countless hours on the upkeep of the ballpark and the financials of the facility and the true amount of damage to the facility.I have even had to stay late a couple of years ago with the police and fire dept. while they looked for a child that the parents did not keep a eye on that thankfully was found unharmed in Orange.I wonder what that cost was!!!!!!If more people would volunteer their time at the ballpark instead of ONLY voulunteering IDEAS on how to do things from their COMPUTER then maybe they would have a true understanding of what it takes to be a board member at any Little League.The BCLL has board members,that are still living in FEMA trailers because their house was damaged from IKE,dedicating time at the ballpark working, making board meetings and running a program for YOUR child when they could home trying to repair their own home. Queen the LL is always looking for dedicated board members, I could even send you a application.Until you step up to the plate Queen, keep your wisdom to yourself. If you would like to really find out what goes on behind the scenes then we will see you at workdays every Saturday starting @ 8:00a.m. this Saturday.

Obviously you have no clue about what it cost to run the little league.  Why do you even get on here and talk like that.  This league is successful because people do the right thing.  The board has worked very hard at making things a success.  The repairs will be done in a timely manner.  If you would like you could go price the cost of replacing everything in the concession stands(2) All fences were damaged, the netting over the park, 2 zero turn lawn mowers, tillers, all equipment in storage etc... etc...   Please don't come to B.C. this year and start trouble like you have in Orange...  If the candy is not to your satisfaction call someone but don't sit in Orange and run your mouth on this board about a group of people that volunteer and work very hard to keep things going for these kids. 

Not to mention all but a couple of board members houses were flooded and the repairs are just getting started. 

Every year and everywhere you have been you have complained about something.  Posts like the one you did can cause nothing but trouble.  If you have an issue you need to bring it to the board. >:( >:( >:(

Oh c'mon running a little league is a piece of cake and the pay is awesome... ;D

sorry....couldn't find the sarcasm emoticon. Seriously, good luck and have a great season. One good thing about being on a little league board during these tough economic times is that if i get laid off, i have plenty of varied experience....fence builder,carpenter,concrete worker,lawn care pro,mechanic, etc.  :D

Come on.

I'm glad I'm not part of that BCLL. everyone that posts on here that is from there has bad atitude.....parents, coaches, board members. always some kinda drama going on here on this blog. grow up parents! stop feeding off of each others negitivity and pull together for a good cause.

Come on.

I'm glad I'm not part of that BCLL. everyone that posts on here that is from there has bad atitude.....parents, coaches, board members. always some kinda drama going on here on this blog. grow up parents! stop feeding off of each others negitivity and pull together for a good cause.

They're probably glad you aren't part of BCLL too, sunshine.  ;D

just for the record: each year my son played for BCLL my husband and I do volunteer our time on the fields and off.  thank u for letting me say that.

furthermore: i do know how much it costs to fix the fields.  I also know how much was raised and i thought it was odd to use the word "start" when talking about fixing things.

also, I have NO IDEA what is meant by me starting trouble on this board last year: this is the first year I have gotten on this board so if you think you know me -- you are wrong.  Now, if you are talking about my problem with my son's coach last year: yeah, I had a HUGE problem with him but so did soooo many other people, including the board!

Don't worry citizens of Bridge City.  I paid the fee for my son to play on your fields.  I sold the old candy (and it was from last year -- I went back and checked the date on the boxes).  I paid the concession fee.  I will purchase my cold drinks and such from the league. 

I will continue to purchase drinks for the players who are sweating, hot and thirsty.  I will support the league .. until my kid reaches high school next year and plays against the same young men he has played with these past few years.

Congrats BCLL !!! unbelievable charity. This is the type of thoughtfullness that makes all the hard work that everyone has put into an organization worth it. I'm sure you guys will come back bigger and better. Way to go wutup, it obvious that you have not volunteered for anything! QueenB77630 weak post. Talk about working for the kids.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder