PN-G school district should release names of coach applicants

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breaking the Law ? No they are not ! they are allowed to follow what the laws have allowed. They have every right to ask for a official ruling. If it takes an additional 45 days then so be it. By then we will have hired our new Coach and it will all be water under the bridge by then.

You would be wrong they have ten days to comply from the date of the records request or they can send a request the AG to rule and once he has ruled they will have another 10 days to comply.

Too many of you PNG people are protecting what PNG's Board should have already done, which is release the names. It just looks underhanded when things are left in the dark. Look, once again, I am not thrilled about it either, but when you can file a petition and find out how many sick days I have used, (and they were mine to use.) PNG needs to step up and name the applicants.

I am not a lawyer, but can the AG fine PNGISD for not releasing the names? Can the AG's Office start an investigation? Can charges be filed?

What purpose would this serve?  Please answer me.  It makes no sense.....is it so posters can get on here and trash candidates and PNG as well?  It doesn't serve ANY PURPOSE to release the names.  And again, the folks from other schools are more "up in arms" about this list than PNG folks.  Are you afraid one of YOUR coaches may have applied?  Do you have a dog in the fight?  What gives......PNG fans are laughing at you guys for getting so upset about this.  We're the ONLY ones that should want the list revealed and we're not balking the decision of the board.  Go figure, getting the Attorney General involved, bringing up the FOI clause.  You guys have waaaaaaayyyyy too much time on your hand to be worrying about this. This is ridiculous....I hope PNG NEVER releases the list, but only announce the coach they hired.......that way, the guy will have a fighting chance........this is ridiculous.

I'm going to make a call to my contact in the CIA to find out who KDOS REALLY is!!!! ;D

LOL...maybe he's an applicant and wants to see who the others are and evaluate his chances!   ::) ::) ::)

If I was hired you really would be in trouble. My football coaching experience is limited to the NFL Network.  ::)

I got to go to church and pray for everybody...Including myself...See you guys in an hour.

Too many of you PNG people are protecting what PNG's Board should have already done, which is release the names. It just looks underhanded when things are left in the dark. Look, once again, I am not thrilled about it either, but when you can file a petition and find out how many sick days I have used, (and they were mine to use.) PNG needs to step up and name the applicants.

I am not a lawyer, but can the AG fine PNGISD for not releasing the names? Can the AG's Office start an investigation? Can charges be filed?

What purpose would this serve?  Please answer me.  It makes no sense.....is it so posters can get on here and trash candidates and PNG as well?  It doesn't serve ANY PURPOSE to release the names.  And again, the folks from other schools are more "up in arms" about this list than PNG folks.  Are you afraid one of YOUR coaches may have applied?  Do you have a dog in the fight?  What gives......PNG fans are laughing at you guys for getting so upset about this.  We're the ONLY ones that should want the list revealed and we're not balking the decision of the board.  Go figure, getting the Attorney General involved, bringing up the FOI clause.  You guys have waaaaaaayyyyy too much time on your hand to be worrying about this. This is ridiculous....I hope PNG NEVER releases the list, but only announce the coach they hired.......that way, the guy will have a fighting chance........this is ridiculous.

I'm going to make a call to my contact in the CIA to find out who KDOS REALLY is!!!! ;D

LOL...maybe he's an applicant and wants to see who the others are and evaluate his chances!   ::) ::) ::)

If I was hired you really would be in trouble. My football coaching experience is limited to the NFL Network.  ::)

I got to go to church and pray for everybody...Including myself...See you guys in an hour.

I think we FINALLY agree on something!  Thats about the limit of my coaching experience as well!  Have a good one! ;D

from the AG website

Public Information Act

The Public Information Act (formerly known as the Open Records Act) provides a mechanism for citizens to inspect or copy government records. It also provides for instances in which governmental bodies may withhold government records from the public.

Upon receipt of a public information request, a governmental body generally is required within ten business days to either provide access to the requested information or request an attorney general ruling on whether the information can be withheld.

If a governmental body fails to respond to your request for information or request an attorney general ruling within ten business days, you may file a written complaint with the Open Records Division of the Office of the Attorney General. Please be sure to include with your complaint a copy of your original request for information and any other supporting documentation that may help us resolve your complaint. For more information on the Public Information Act, including the requirements for a valid request for public information, please see our 2008 Public Information Handbook.

Complaints can also be filed against governmental bodies that fail to comply with an attorney general ruling. Therefore, if, after a reasonable amount of time, a governmental body does not release information to you in accordance with an attorney general ruling, we encourage you to send a written complaint to the Open Records Division.

Additionally, complaints may be filed against governmental bodies if requestors believe they are being overcharged for a copy or inspection of public information. The attorney general promulgates cost rules regarding the charges and methods of calculations. These rules are mandatory for all governmental bodies, except to the extent that other laws establish charges for specific kinds of information

The AG said they had to release it last week and PN-G filed a letter saying they thought it was best they didn't. The hiring is 23 days away (Feb 10), the AG Office has 45 days to tell them they have to release it, my gut feeling says they will release it before Feb. 10 as soon as the AG's office tells them they have to.

Amen !!!! we will have our Coach by that time ! then the oursiders can begin bashing our new coach !

You're right, pngfan66, and will they EVER!  I have a feeling PNG will be the hot topic all the way thru next year!  I just love to watch folks "squirm" .......  LOL!

Possibly could have his official ruling by then, but in the official statement "a reasonable amount of time" to release the info. What is concidered a reasonable amount of time. 1 day ? 1 week ? etc..... So there is some gray area to be determined in this. But I feel if a official ruling comes down it will be around the same time as the announcement of who the coach will be. Remember the school had to include why they wanted to withhold the names and if thier argument is sufficient the AG office may take their time. You never know !

1.gif

Maybe with PNG doing a somewhat challenge to the law it could help out the system and give some protection to those that do apply for open positions around the state. Hard to say if it will or not, but just a thought. If I were a coach somewhere, and applied to a opening somewhere else, I would want to be protected. Some folks at other schools may give a coach a real hard time or even find a way to get rid of them if they know they are appling somewhere else. I think that the FOI is somewhat foiled in its endeavor. There honestly should be some form of protection for this situation so as to help avoid some sort of retaliation or something of the matter. Just walk a mile in the applicants shoes and see how you would feel. What are you putting on the line in regards to your own career and job and what it could do to you and your family ?  Yes if a opportunity arises you should look into it, and if you apply you should have some sort of protection from your current employer backlashing you.  I'm sure those that have applied have some fear of having their current employer scrutinize them or even worse. Just think long and hard about this, in the private sector things can be kept secret, but not so much in the public sector. Why should a public job be any different than a private one ?  How would you feel ? The people who are on the committee will do their job. I think we should all just back off and let the cards fall were they fall ! 

After some deliberation regarding releasing the names, I have decided that the list should be kept confidential. All those outside of the reservation should not have any opinion in this decision or hiring process. You don't live here !!! We do !  I voted and I have placed my trust in OUR elected officials ! If I don't like their decision then it is in my interest to vote them out of position and put someone in that I feel would better serve my positions. Heck I may even run for the school board if I want too !  I think the anticipation is killing more people outside of PNG than inside !  What do you, that live outside our district have at stake in this situation ? Is it that your very concerned over who is hired ? nervous about what PNG will do to your team in the season ? What fear(s) do you have in this that causes you to be so upset and concerned over who PNG hires or who is on the list ?

I have 5 kids in PNGISD ! My son who is in the 8th grade is so excited over a new coach he can barely think of baseball which is his second love next to PNG football. He and I have some great conversations over what can happen in the new year for PNG ! He is excited and I think hundreds of other kids who play ball in the PNG area are excited as well.

My above paragraph may cause some ill feelings but I don't care. I live in this district, and those of you who don't live in this district should focus your attention on your own programs and bash it !!! Pick it apart and be a stand sitting coach and commentator !!! for your own team !!! Oh and by the way I have a friend who coaches outside of this area and he told me the names of several coaches who have applied for the PNG position who he knows personally !!!

You do not "get it." Because the Law says you release the names. I really do not care. But you can't pick and chose what Laws you follow. What next? You just pick what laws you want to follow?

Exactly, it does not matter if someone in El Paso wanted to view the names, it is their right to know. 

The ability for many sets of eyes to view the list can only help the vetting process. As the law says, delegation of authority does give elected officials the right to decide what the people should and should not be concerned with. 

I have heard many arguments about protecting the privacy of the coaches etc, this does not fall within the exceptions covered by the law, but if you want to play that game, consider the following argument:

What if you resided in district where the coach was applying for position elsewhere, only you did not know because the hiring district was attempting to circumvent the spirit the law? How would you feel? Would you not want to know (or your school board to know) that your coach was looking to leave?  Would you not want your school board to be prepared for the possibility that they would need to initiate a coaching search in February after number best available coaches have taken positions elsewhere? 

Come on folks, take off the purple shades.  I am PN-G fan, but some things supercede school support, this is one of them.

I DO live in this district, but I think the citizens have the right to know the names of the applicants and voice their opinion, also.  I heard LCM sent the citizens a questionnaire to be used the by committee so that the citizens have some input into their decisions.  Not so in PNG. Also, I hope others in our district don't think everyone in PN or Groves think they are better than everyone else and above the law.  This issue has been ruled on already.  I also hope that this is not a ploy used so that three people choose the person they want regardless.  I hope these members remember that we voted them in and they are supposed to listen to all the citizens. Time will tell.

After some deliberation regarding releasing the names, I have decided that the list should be kept confidential. All those outside of the reservation should not have any opinion in this decision or hiring process. You don't live here !!! We do !  I voted and I have placed my trust in OUR elected officials ! If I don't like their decision then it is in my interest to vote them out of position and put someone in that I feel would better serve my positions. Heck I may even run for the school board if I want too !  I think the anticipation is killing more people outside of PNG than inside !  What do you, that live outside our district have at stake in this situation ? Is it that your very concerned over who is hired ? nervous about what PNG will do to your team in the season ? What fear(s) do you have in this that causes you to be so upset and concerned over who PNG hires or who is on the list ?

I have 5 kids in PNGISD ! My son who is in the 8th grade is so excited over a new coach he can barely think of baseball which is his second love next to PNG football. He and I have some great conversations over what can happen in the new year for PNG ! He is excited and I think hundreds of other kids who play ball in the PNG area are excited as well.

My above paragraph may cause some ill feelings but I don't care. I live in this district, and those of you who don't live in this district should focus your attention on your own programs and bash it !!! Pick it apart and be a stand sitting coach and commentator !!! for your own team !!! Oh and by the way I have a friend who coaches outside of this area and he told me the names of several coaches who have applied for the PNG position who he knows personally !!!

You do not "get it." Because the Law says you release the names. I really do not care. But you can't pick and chose what Laws you follow. What next? You just pick what laws you want to follow?

Exactly, it does not matter if someone in El Paso wanted to view the names, it is their right to know. 

The ability for many sets of eyes to view the list can only help the vetting process. As the law says, delegation of authority does give elected officials the right to decide what the people should and should not be concerned with. 

I have heard many arguments about protecting the privacy of the coaches etc, this does not fall within the exceptions covered by the law, but if you want to play that game, consider the following argument:

What if you resided in district where the coach was applying for position elsewhere, only you did not know because the hiring district was attempting to circumvent the spirit the law? How would you feel? Would you not want to know (or your school board to know) that your coach was looking to leave?  Would you not want your school board to be prepared for the possibility that they would need to initiate a coaching search in February after number best available coaches have taken positions elsewhere?   

Come on folks, take off the purple shades.  I am PN-G fan, but some things supercede school support, this is one of them.

This "gray area", and "within the law" business is the same excuses that "death row" inmates use just to get a little more time.  

The names are coming out. PNGISD needs to stop playing games and release the list.

I am sorry, but I am starting to feel sorry for some of you "Purple Shades" people. I am embarrassed for you.

If one wants anonymity then go into private business.  The reason it's an open process is -- again! -- because taxpayers dollars are involved.

Maybe with PNG doing a somewhat challenge to the law it could help out the system and give some protection to those that do apply for open positions around the state. Hard to say if it will or not, but just a thought. If I were a coach somewhere, and applied to a opening somewhere else, I would want to be protected. Some folks at other schools may give a coach a real hard time or even find a way to get rid of them if they know they are appling somewhere else. I think that the FOI is somewhat foiled in its endeavor. There honestly should be some form of protection for this situation so as to help avoid some sort of retaliation or something of the matter. Just walk a mile in the applicants shoes and see how you would feel. What are you putting on the line in regards to your own career and job and what it could do to you and your family ?  Yes if a opportunity arises you should look into it, and if you apply you should have some sort of protection from your current employer backlashing you.  I'm sure those that have applied have some fear of having their current employer scrutinize them or even worse. Just think long and hard about this, in the private sector things can be kept secret, but not so much in the public sector. Why should a public job be any different than a private one ?  How would you feel ? The people who are on the committee will do their job. I think we should all just back off and let the cards fall were they fall ! 

Warrior and 66 just stop this constantly having to defend ourselves against these people is not worth it, our board will do what it needs to and thats it no matter what all these other people say, we will have our coach in due time and it will be worth it. Yes i live in Groves and i have 3 kids in PNGISD. LCM sent out a list to hopefully get the community excited about its program again, i found that out this weekend talking to some of my old classmates at my moms house in LC

Why do we (PN-G) have to not want to release it? Most other schools do!

We are not in the minds and the hearts of the board.  WE voted them in and put our TRUST in them and their decision making process for the betterment of our district.  This is getting redundant......I still see NO validation of releasing the list other than folks can haggle back and forth over the candidates.  We have absolutely no effect on the board and their decision.  We gave them the control when we voted for and elected them.  I applaud the PNG board for their stance and hope the list will NOT be released.  The board has our BEST interest at heart.  The eight people that will decide on the candidate are qualified and will put the district first, you can bet on that.

PNG>>>>>>>Honor......Pride.....Tradition...."Priceless"

That is your opinion- please do not lump me into the group that "trust" this group of people.  Use the work "I" instead of "we".

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    nexax
    Newest Member
    nexax