Junior DB is good-hands man for BH - Baytown Sun

bronco1

Junior DB is good-hands man for BH

By Nick Cioci

The Baytown Sun

Published October 15, 2008

MONT BELVIEU — Barbers Hill’s football team is 2-1 in District 19-4A play and 2-3 overall on the year.

Part of the Eagles turnaround has been because of Matthew Viverette and his play at cornerback since filling in for an injured teammate the past three games.

“We had a young man go down against C.E. King (Sept. 30) and had to put him (Viverette) out there at cornerback,†Eagle head coach Don Price said. “He is still learning, but has a knack for catching the football.â€

Apparently.

Viverette has five interceptions since moving into the lineup, three against Goose Creek Memorial on Oct. 9 in the Eagles’ 52-7 win. The 6-foot-1, 165-pound junior returned one of the interceptions for 63 yards and another one for 83 yards in the win.

His other two interceptions came against Kingwood Park on Oct. 4.

Price said Viverette played quarterback last year on the sophomore team and was being used as a wide receiver this year before the switch to cornerback.

“I don’t know if there is a secret to him playing so well,†Price said. “He is a coachable kid and a decent athlete.â€

Viverette said he feels playing quarterback has helped him be a better cornerback.

“Playing quarterback helped me last year,†Viverette said. “You have to read the field and that knowledge has helped me this year in some ways.

“It’s just been instinctive and second-nature for me as well.â€

Price said he isn’t sure if teams have been picking on Viverette or not.

“I’m not sure teams are targeting him,†Price said, “but he just has had an opportunity for interceptions. He has a good eye and breaks to the ball.â€

Viverette said he has real good hands.

“I’m not sure why I can catch the ball so well,†he said. “I feel the spiritual part helps me. It gives me confidence knowing God is with me out there.â€

Viverette said the attitude of the team has changed since they have started winning.

“Obviously when you are losing you are more negative and down in the dumps,†he said. “But when you are winning, your confidence goes up and your spirit goes up as well.â€

Viverette said the Eagles will have to mentally and physically prepared when they take on Dayton Friday.

“I mentally prepare by praying,†he said, “but I also have to work a lot to be physically prepared as well. I have to watch receivers in film to see how to cover them and the quarterbacks as well to see what they do on certain routes.â€

By Nick Cioci

The Baytown Sun

MONT BELVIEU — Barbers Hill’s football team is 2-1 in District 19-4A play and 2-3 overall on the year.

Part of the Eagles turnaround has been because of Matthew Viverette and his play at cornerback since filling in for an injured teammate the past three games.

“We had a young man go down against C.E. King (Sept. 30) and had to put him (Viverette) out there at cornerback,†Eagle head coach Don Price said. “He is still learning, but has a knack for catching the football.â€

Apparently.

Viverette has five interceptions since moving into the lineup, three against Goose Creek Memorial on Oct. 9 in the Eagles’ 52-7 win. The 6-foot-1, 165-pound junior returned one of the interceptions for 63 yards and another one for 83 yards in the win.

Price said Viverette played quarterback last year on the sophomore team and was being used as a wide receiver this year before the switch to cornerback.

“I don’t know if there is a secret to him playing so well,†Price said. “He is a coachable kid and a decent athlete.â€

Viverette said he feels playing quarterback has helped him be a better cornerback.

“Playing quarterback helped me last year,†Viverette said. “You have to read the field and that knowledge has helped me this year in some ways.

“I’m not sure teams are targeting him,†Price said, “but he just has had an opportunity for interceptions. He has a good eye and breaks to the ball.â€

“I’m not sure why I can catch the ball so well,†he said. “I feel the spiritual part helps me. It gives me confidence knowing God is with me out there.â€

Viverette said the attitude of the team has changed since they have started winning.

“Obviously when you are losing you are more negative and down in the dumps,†he said. “But when you are winning, your confidence goes up and your spirit goes up as well.â€

Viverette said the Eagles will have to mentally and physically prepared when they take on Dayton Friday.

“I mentally prepare by praying,†he said, “but I also have to work a lot to be physically prepared as well. I have to watch receivers in film to see how to cover them and the quarterbacks as well to see what they do on certain routes.â€

AJ Dugat better watch out looks like he might get shut down

You just can't let the kid have a good article about himself.  You gotta come with the bad karma and all.

By Nick Cioci

The Baytown Sun

Apparently.

AJ Dugat better watch out looks like he might get shut down

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124