Getting fed up with STJFL

Guest WHOLETDADOGSOUT

I do not allow my kids to quit anything they have started unless it is for a very good reason. However, I am just about fed up with the youth football program.  I know it is the same with all other youth sports but I have about had enough with "Daddy Ball".  Youth sports is all about teaching the kids how to play the game and the various positions.  All I have seen is the daddy's kids playing quarterback, runningback, and receiver.  Hey, I realize there are 11 positions out there and it takes all of them to make a team and win ballgames.  I am just getting sick and tired of seeing the same kid or kids getting a chance to make the scores.  Also, I am tired of my kid doing the blocking and grunt work so the coaches kids get all the praise and glory.  It's also sickening to see the look on my kid's face after getting reamed for missing a block and causing his kid not to score. I know I should confront the coach on this and I surely will. I just wanted to vent my frustration here and see if anyone else is feeling the way I do.  I realize my kid may not make a good quarterback or runningback but how is he ever going to know unless he gets the chance? I guess I will have to quit or find another job which will allow me to coach so I get to choose where he plays. Also, do not think for one moment these coaches are playing the best kids at these positions.

Football is Life! Life is not fair, so learn from it. Some of us do the work, while others get the credit. Teach your son to be the best player he can be at whatever position he plays.

Point well taken. And in life there comes opportunities. Be prepared when it's your calling.

True story, I knew a player once who would complain about getting little playing time. I would tell him you never know when your time is coming. A starter blew his knee out one night and the complainer was immediately put into the game. To make a long story short, he wasn't prepared mentally or physically. He stayed on the bench the rest of the season.  You may not be the man this year, but there is another season approaching.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone ever looked at another way to do it so that coaches allow more kids to play in blowouts.  This is instructional and points allowed results in bad decisions regarding playing time in blowouts. 

That is why it is points allowed and not points scored. There also used to be a rule in place that had you put a whole new backfield in if you are 3 or 4 touchdowns ahead in a game.

Guest Brubaker

I'm not calling anyone out, but either points allowed or points scored both put some pressure on a coach to keep the hosses in there.  I don't have a copy of the rulebook and am not trying to criticize, I asked a simple question.  If you're up 2-3 td's with a couple of minutes left, there's still the pressure to prevent points from being scored for tiebreaker scenarios, when the coaches could be playing more kids.  May not be a better way to do it, but was just asking.

This is getting old and this will be my last reply oin this subject. Every player must play 10 plays regardless of score or situation that is the STJFL rule. I think other leagues have a similar rule as well.  Depending the the roster size will depend on how many plays. If you 25 players, that is not a lot plays when every player plays 10 plays. consider you get about 20 offensive plays and about 20 defensive plays, count special teams maybe another 6. So lets round it up to 50 plays a game. So it may seem like someone is not playing a lot but it is equal to the team.

This is getting old and this will be my last reply oin this subject. Every player must play 10 plays regardless of score or situation that is the STJFL rule. I think other leagues have a similar rule as well.  Depending the the roster size will depend on how many plays. If you 25 players, that is not a lot plays when every player plays 10 plays. consider you get about 20 offensive plays and about 20 defensive plays, count special teams maybe another 6. So lets round it up to 50 plays a game. So it may seem like someone is not playing a lot but it is equal to the team.

See, this is why we need to shorten the football season and extend basketball ;D

Just wish we could get this much excitement in summer league baseball.

You mean there is no "daddy ball" in SR Babe Ruth?  I can see that.  By then kids have probably decided what their cup of tea is.  Down in the younger divisions of any sport, the parents think their kid is going to be the next Tom Brady, Kobe Bryant, or Roy O.  

I'm not calling anyone out, but either points allowed or points scored both put some pressure on a coach to keep the hosses in there.  I don't have a copy of the rulebook and am not trying to criticize, I asked a simple question.  If you're up 2-3 td's with a couple of minutes left, there's still the pressure to prevent points from being scored for tiebreaker scenarios, when the coaches could be playing more kids.  May not be a better way to do it, but was just asking.

I see nothing wrong with not letting a team score.  If my defense has worked hard and not let a team score, are suggesting that I let them score.  Running up the score is a problem, but preventing a team from scoring is usually a defensive goal at any level.  The tie breaker rule in no way incourages a coach to run up the score because it in no way helps himto score more points.

You mean there is no "daddy ball" in SR Babe Ruth?  I can see that.  By then kids have probably decided what their cup of tea is.  Down in the younger divisions of any sport, the parents think their kid is going to be the next Tom Brady, Kobe Bryant, or Roy O.  

And don't forget mommaball. Thats where the coach's wife threatens the coach he will be sleeping on the sofa if their son doesn't get back into the game.

And don't forget mommaball. Thats where the coach's wife threatens the coach he will be sleeping on the sofa if their son doesn't get back into the game.

Yes, you're right and I did forget about it.

Just reading the word "baseball" makes me sleepy

I don't think baseball makes you sleepy, by your avatar it may also cause the munchies.

Thats funny right there, I don't care who you are. :D :D :D

As far as "daddy ball" goes...sometimes, those same dads set their kids up for failure in their teenage years.  They pump their kids up, and then in high school, junior goes bust, because nothing is set up for him to succeed...he has never learned failure, he has never learned "team"...now remember, I'm talking about the "daddy (or mommy)" kids...

However, if a coach is worth his or her salt, they won't focus on their kid exclusively.  If they do that, the team loses.  Plain and simple.  Parents may see their kid as the next reincarnation of a great player, but those great players will be the first ones to tell you that without the "O" line, and without the defense keeping the other team from scoring, they would be less than they have been made out to be.

I have coached the little guys in flag, both here and in El Paso.  My oldest was a big boy, and he played on the line, or as a center.  Others carried the ball, but we had a team concept.  In the Pop Warner system here, my middle son was the quarterback...but he handed the ball off a lot, a whole lot.  Like 95% of the time...because he had talented RBs, and THOSE kids parents never, ever asked me to play their kids at that position...they let me decide who to play where.  Additionally, the one team concept helped those talented kids understand that without the rest of the team, they couldn't get those big runs. 

As far as "daddy ball" goes...sometimes, those same dads set their kids up for failure in their teenage years.  They pump their kids up, and then in high school, junior goes bust, because nothing is set up for him to succeed...he has never learned failure, he has never learned "team"...now remember, I'm talking about the "daddy (or mommy)" kids...

However, if a coach is worth his or her salt, they won't focus on their kid exclusively.  If they do that, the team loses.  Plain and simple.  Parents may see their kid as the next reincarnation of a great player, but those great players will be the first ones to tell you that without the "O" line, and without the defense keeping the other team from scoring, they would be less than they have been made out to be.

I have coached the little guys in flag, both here and in El Paso.  My oldest was a big boy, and he played on the line, or as a center.  Others carried the ball, but we had a team concept.  In the Pop Warner system here, my middle son was the quarterback...but he handed the ball off a lot, a whole lot.  Like 95% of the time...because he had talented RBs, and THOSE kids parents never, ever asked me to play their kids at that position...they let me decide who to play where.  Additionally, the one team concept helped those talented kids understand that without the rest of the team, they couldn't get those big runs. 

I don't care what daddy ball coaches say. I haven't met a coach to this day who has a child playing in a key skilled position, whether it's football or basketball. But I hear it's just as bad in baseball. Your son plays quarterback

because he is the best player on your team at this position? Or because he is the best at handing the ball off to the running backs?

daddyball happens in every sport.  Take it from me, I know.  I was once a soccer mom and it happened there.  Basketball mom - same thing.  Baseball? Absolutely without a question .. that is a big YES!  I see it happen in football this year too.  The thing is .. this year, daddy's little boy really is good so I have nothing bad to say about that one.

What gets ME "fed up" is where you have too many "coaches" on the team and the kids are told one thing by a "coach" and then something else by another "coach" and yet another "coach" is complimenting a kid on his moves and right behind that coach is another "coach" yelling that he did something wrong! Oh yes my friends, that is happening on the team my son plays on and THAT P*SSES mama here off real, real bad!  I'm gonna show one "coach" what "QueenB" stands for!

daddyball happens in every sport.  Take it from me, I know.  I was once a soccer mom and it happened there.  Basketball mom - same thing.  Baseball? Absolutely without a question .. that is a big YES!  I see it happen in football this year too.  The thing is .. this year, daddy's little boy really is good so I have nothing bad to say about that one.

What gets ME "fed up" is where you have too many "coaches" on the team and the kids are told one thing by a "coach" and then something else by another "coach" and yet another "coach" is complimenting a kid on his moves and right behind that coach is another "coach" yelling that he did something wrong! Oh yes my friends, that is happening on the team my son plays on and THAT P*SSES mama here off real, real bad!  I'm gonna show one "coach" what "QueenB" stands for!

:o :o  ut oh...

:D

I don't care what daddy ball coaches say. I haven't met a coach to this day who has a child playing in a key skilled position, whether it's football or basketball. But I hear it's just as bad in baseball. Your son plays quarterback

because he is the best player on your team at this position? Or because he is the best at handing the ball off to the running backs?

My son PLAYED (past tense) the position because he could hand off and pitch out the ball pretty consistently...which in flag football is pretty much all of the time.  He was the calmest kid in the pocket, but if you ask, did he have a rocket arm?  No, and pretty much, at 5,6, and 7, it doesn't exist.  Actually, with one exception...I was asked to coach a flag team after my son decided baseball was his sport...and there is a kid from WOS that played for me who was called "Q"...last name Garrett, DePauldrick's little brother.  25-30 yards, tight spiral, all at the age of 7...Coach Hooks is gonna love this kid.  His favorite target...actually the only kid that could catch the ball, was Jamarcus Rhodes...Dang, it was fun coaching those kids.  Anyway...if you ask if I was a coach for baseball, only in his later years in summer ball.

I was just reading some of the post on here and felt like I could add something. My kids have been subject to the "Daddy Ball" also and that is what prompted me to get involved in coaching. There is stress that goes with it. My wife and I have had lots of arguements over me riding my boys harder than the other players, but now that she is a board member and sees all the complaints about coaches and their own kids, she leaves me alone about it. As a coach, my boys shouldn't suffer because of dads that favor their own kids but they do. That is one drawback of being a "coaches kid". There are also the instances that parents watching from the sidelines don't see and that's the day to day " my elbow hurts" or "my leg hurts" from the same kids over and over when you are doing your hitting or tackling drills. Also, the 10 play rule is not only there to make sure your kid gets to play, its also there for the coaches to protect those kids that may have not yet developed into the strong, aggressive football player that their parents would like them to be. I've also figured out that alot of coaches decisions are made at the dinner table with the other spouse who may be  involved in the decision and not involved in the coaching. Just trying to shed some light from a coaches point of view. 

I was just reading some of the post on here and felt like I could add something. My kids have been subject to the "Daddy Ball" also and that is what prompted me to get involved in coaching. There is stress that goes with it. My wife and I have had lots of arguements over me riding my boys harder than the other players, but now that she is a board member and sees all the complaints about coaches and their own kids, she leaves me alone about it. As a coach, my boys shouldn't suffer because of dads that favor their own kids but they do. That is one drawback of being a "coaches kid". There are also the instances that parents watching from the sidelines don't see and that's the day to day " my elbow hurts" or "my leg hurts" from the same kids over and over when you are doing your hitting or tackling drills. Also, the 10 play rule is not only there to make sure your kid gets to play, its also there for the coaches to protect those kids that may have not yet developed into the strong, aggressive football player that their parents would like them to be. I've also figured out that alot of coaches decisions are made at the dinner table with the other spouse who may be  involved in the decision and not involved in the coaching. Just trying to shed some light from a coaches point of view.   

suprisingly that coming from you Big E was a good post..

Sometimes kids that are the coaches son suffer because the coach is so worried about what the parents think.Some coaches are harder on there kids then anyone else.I have called different plays at the goalline for my kid not to get the ball ,so there wouldn't be favortism.But that's not fair to the coaches son when a coach does that.It's a touchy subject..

suprisingly that coming from you Big E was a good post..

Sometimes kids that are the coaches son suffer because the coach is so worried about what the parents think.Some coaches are harder on there kids then anyone else.I have called different plays at the goalline for my kid not to get the ball ,so there wouldn't be favortism.But that's not fair to the coaches son when a coach does that.It's a touchy subject..

This is a touchy subject. Not all of the time but most of the time the coach's soon may be a little more advanced because he spends more time practicing with his dad. Maybe his dad has a job that allows him the opportunity to be off so he can practice with his child. Which in turns makes him or her a little more advanced than the child that his dad works 12 hour day.

I hope this came out right. Again it is not fool proof but it is the case in some situations. I'm sure I will get blasted for this comment but it is true. Just not in all situations.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami