Getting fed up with STJFL

Guest WHOLETDADOGSOUT

S Hawk - I did make a point, I guess you are too blind to see it. question why are you on the message board? To complain or discuss sports? You have a kid playing, why are you involved? FOR THE KIDS! if you are not you are selfish and trying to live your dreams through kids. Sweet dreams!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter what sport, baseball, football, or whatever things are going to change alot from the time these kids are playing at 6,7 to high school. Over half will drop out and quit sports for whatever reason, or alot of times the star players will be just average. The kid playing the non skilled positions could potentialy be the Qb or Rb. Parents putting too much stock in youth sports. Let'em be kids and play if they want to play. Look at how many kids make it to the pro's in any sports from this area!! I love sports like the next person and have three boy's of my own, but dang after high school thier butts better be making some good grades and getting a college degree. Good luck to all and hopefully your kids do great.

You got it right scalp'm.

Hawk - sounds like I hit nerve... good come back you sound like 5 yr old. consider this conversation over. I rather have discussion when more mature people.  You added no value to the conversation, sweet dreams. : :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Everyone on here knows this is about the kids. I am a football coach in a youth league, I know that, as does Piratefan, 4life, and Capt. Claude and all these other guys you say are "living through their kids". Everyone thinks that they can come on here and say whatever they want and add "its about the kids" and that makes them feel all warm and fuzzy. I like football, I like to watch it, coach it, and play it. If I want to get on here and toot my own horn because I beat Deweyville (sorry Capt.) and Silsbee (sorry Mark) then I should be able to, without some yayhoo coming on here and bashing me because its a youth sport. I outcoached an opposing coach or my team was the better team that day because of my (coaches) way of teaching or play calling. I teach my philosophy, Claude teaches his philosophy, who knows what philosphy Larry is is teaching but its different for each coach. We are teaching these kids to be competitive and we are being competitive with them. Its fun for us to do this. Its fun for me and my coaches (friends) to sit around after the game and talk about what happened, what we could have done different, and other stuff like that. I'm not living through my kids, I'm involved in their lives, and have made some great friends along the way. What team are your kids on? What association are you with? Do your kids play in LoneStar or STJFL? Who are you? My name is Barry and I am with Hardin-Jefferson. I know my boys aren't going to be proffessional, but if they get their college paid for, well that's great, and if that don't happen well I made some great friends and my kids will remember, that their dad was involved in their life. You obviously don't know me so you wouldn't know if you hit a nerve or not. I think before you have discussion with more mature people, that you learn proper english. "good comeback you sound like 5 year old" . "I rather have" dude, your stupid...............

Hawk - sounds like I hit nerve... good come back you sound like 5 yr old. consider this conversation over. I rather have discussion when more mature people.  You added no value to the conversation, sweet dreams. : :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Everyone on here knows this is about the kids. I am a football coach in a youth league, I know that, as does Piratefan, 4life, and Capt. Claude and all these other guys you say are "living through their kids". Everyone thinks that they can come on here and say whatever they want and add "its about the kids" and that makes them feel all warm and fuzzy. I like football, I like to watch it, coach it, and play it. If I want to get on here and toot my own horn because I beat Deweyville (sorry Capt.) and Silsbee (sorry Mark) then I should be able to, without some yayhoo coming on here and bashing me because its a youth sport. I outcoached an opposing coach or my team was the better team that day because of my (coaches) way of teaching or play calling. I teach my philosophy, Claude teaches his philosophy, who knows what philosphy Larry is is teaching but its different for each coach. We are teaching these kids to be competitive and we are being competitive with them. Its fun for us to do this. Its fun for me and my coaches (friends) to sit around after the game and talk about what happened, what we could have done different, and other stuff like that. I'm not living through my kids, I'm involved in their lives, and have made some great friends along the way. What team are your kids on? What association are you with? Do your kids play in LoneStar or STJFL? Who are you? My name is Barry and I am with Hardin-Jefferson. I know my boys aren't going to be proffessional, but if they get their college paid for, well that's great, and if that don't happen well I made some great friends and my kids will remember, that their dad was involved in their life. You obviously don't know me so you wouldn't know if you hit a nerve or not. I think before you have discussion with more mature people, that you learn proper english. "good comeback you sound like 5 year old" . "I rather have" dude, your stupid...............

Good post, Hawks. Whoever that is has added nothing to any thread I have seen him/her post on. They sit back and bash what everyone else post and then like you said add "it's for the kids" and it makes them feel better. I really didn't have a dog in this fight but since this is a board about opinions I thought I would give mine.  :)

I agree with Barry...why do fans in the stands get to be excited about the team winning but when a coach does it we are not out there for the kids...as long as I am teaching them the right way to play and how to be a team player and to have pride in themselves and their city...why do i not  get to enjoy myself and talk smack to some of the other coaches who are doing the same things....now i agree that when a coach puts aside sportsmanship and teaches his kids the wrong way to play the game then yes he is not their for the kids....every week i paint our kids faces....pass out at-a-boys to them for the way they played...among other things to create excitement and give them lasting memories...but guess what.....i hate to lose as much as anyone....what makes it easier is that i remember how much fun the kids have playing especially when they reach Friday Night Lights....I have coach youth sports for over ten years and never had a child of mine playing...but guess what when my son starts next year I will still do things the same way and my kid have pride in himself despite me living through him as you say

fan4life, you obviously just don't get it. When you are a coach that goes out and volunteers his time to other kids then you are supposed to do as all of the parents want you to do. Play their kids how much they want them played and where they want them played. Even if that very same parent can't manage to get little Johnny to practice. Funny how they make it to every single game. That very same parent won't get off of the couch to take a minute to play catch with little Johnny or teach him how to block at home. You my friend are supposed to do that in the 3 hours a week you get to spend with him if he shows up. Not only that he better be good at it or you once again haven't done your job. That is just part of the thanks you get for spending countless hours and I do mean countless hours coaching. But hey, there isn't a one of us that wouldn't put up with little Johnny's momma or daddy if that's what it takes to be a coach. We love spending time and teach our kids and other people's kids. Not just baseball and football but how to tie their shoe and to make sure they are getting their homework. Asking if they need help with any school work. Picking them up and taking them home. The laughs that we get to share with these kids are priceless. So I personally want to thank each and every parent that I have had the privilege of coaching their son or daughter for sharing their children with me. It truly is my pleasure.

OK climbing down from my soap box.  :)

fan4life, you obviously just don't get it. When you are a coach that goes out and volunteers his time to other kids then you are supposed to do as all of the parents want you to do. Play their kids how much they want them played and where they want them played. Even if that very same parent can't manage to get little Johnny to practice. Funny how they make it to every single game. That very same parent won't get off of the couch to take a minute to play catch with little Johnny or teach him how to block at home. You my friend are supposed to do that in the 3 hours a week you get to spend with him if he shows up. Not only that he better be good at it or you once again haven't done your job. That is just part of the thanks you get for spending countless hours and I do mean countless hours coaching. But hey, there isn't a one of us that wouldn't put up with little Johnny's momma or daddy if that's what it takes to be a coach. We love spending time and teach our kids and other people's kids. Not just baseball and football but how to tie their shoe and to make sure they are getting their homework. Asking if they need help with any school work. Picking them up and taking them home. The laughs that we get to share with these kids are priceless. So I personally want to thank each and every parent that I have had the privilege of coaching their son or daughter for sharing their children with me. It truly is my pleasure.

*Out from under rock*

Nice post!

*back under rock*

This was general statement. Obviuosly you did not read all of the comments. You must be guilty!

People need to grow up. The meesage board should be for fun and talk about the kids. I don't care where you play. I dont car what league people are from play ball and let the kids have fun. Most you people are so worried about your selfish goals and what everyone else is doing. Put that much effort in you kids and everyone will be ok. I always find it amussing to see the kids walk of the field win or lose and ready to go onto to the next thing i.e get ice cream, go to a party, sleep over at friends house. The parents and coaches dwell on the game and make excuses. then get on a message board attach teams and leagues. I hope your kids learn lessons from some of the stupid stuff that goes on and does not repeat history and not feel cheated in life!

Look dude, would you make a point already! All of your post are you giving your opinion and then you think its ok because you put the words "its for the kids" after every post. Hey, I got one,  its for the kids.

Look back at where this started - I was not talking about you, I did not say "its about the Kids". I will work on my typing if you work on your reading.

I dont care who you are, it seems like your negative on every subject except your first post on this subject. My point was lets talk about something positive. There is a lot bashing within both leagues and especially Vidor. Is life that miserable?

No matter what sport, baseball, football, or whatever things are going to change alot from the time these kids are playing at 6,7 to high school. Over half will drop out and quit sports for whatever reason, or alot of times the star players will be just average. The kid playing the non skilled positions could potentialy be the Qb or Rb. Parents putting too much stock in youth sports. Let'em be kids and play if they want to play. Look at how many kids make it to the pro's in any sports from this area!! I love sports like the next person and have three boy's of my own, but dang after high school thier butts better be making some good grades and getting a college degree. Good luck to all and hopefully your kids do great.

Let me clarify my post, I'm not bashing volunter coaches by any means, believe me I've coached youth sports (Basketball, Baseball, and Football for 15 years) so I feel your pain and pleasure. I was simply posting to some of the parents that were gripping about what they called "daddy ball". Let me share a quick story with ya'll, ok ready, I had a son that was born at 29 weeks and weighed 1lb 5oz. He was a miracle baby and after 3 months in Texas Children he ended doing great, no mental problems, just pretty small for his age. I let him play when he was 9 years old tackle football. Hey he weighed 45 lbs soaken wet.  It was one of the best memories because he stuck his head in there with all the big boys and didn't back down. After that season, I told him when he gets to middle school and wants to play, go for it. He'll be in Middle school next year and I hope he still wants to play. Anyways didn't have alot to do with this topic, but it did have to do with memories for a kid that might be way too small come high school football to be able to play youth sports. Anyways just wanted you guys to know that I wasn't trying to bash anything your doing, because without you guys there would be no youth sports programs in this area.

*Out from under rock*

Nice post!

*back under rock*

hows the FEMA blue roof working on your rock

very good post thanks td

No matter what sport, baseball, football, or whatever things are going to change a lot from the time these kids are playing at 6,7 to high school. Over half will drop out and quit sports for whatever reason, or alot of times the star players will be just average. The kid playing the non skilled positions could potentialy be the Qb or Rb. Parents putting too much stock in youth sports. Let'em be kids and play if they want to play. Look at how many kids make it to the pro's in any sports from this area!! I love sports like the next person and have three boy's of my own, but dang after high school thier butts better be making some good grades and getting a college degree. Good luck to all and hopefully your kids do great.

Let me clarify my post, I'm not bashing volunter coaches by any means, believe me I've coached youth sports (Basketball, Baseball, and Football for 15 years) so I feel your pain and pleasure. I was simply posting to some of the parents that were gripping about what they called "daddy ball". Let me share a quick story with ya'll, ok ready, I had a son that was born at 29 weeks and weighed 1lb 5oz. He was a miracle baby and after 3 months in Texas Children he ended doing great, no mental problems, just pretty small for his age. I let him play when he was 9 years old tackle football. Hey he weighed 45 lbs soaken wet.  It was one of the best memories because he stuck his head in there with all the big boys and didn't back down. After that season, I told him when he gets to middle school and wants to play, go for it. He'll be in Middle school next year and I hope he still wants to play. Anyways didn't have alot to do with this topic, but it did have to do with memories for a kid that might be way too small come high school football to be able to play youth sports. Anyways just wanted you guys to know that I wasn't trying to bash anything your doing, because without you guys there would be no youth sports programs in this area.

Scalp'em I know exactly where you are coming from!! My twins were both born club footed. 1 of them had both feet clubbed and the other had only 1. They were born 3 weeks early but weighed over 6 lbs a piece. Had surgery on their feet when they were a year old, wore full leg cast until they were about 1 and half. I have pictures of both of them, with cast on, standing in their crib. It is a joy and a pleasure to watch them run. And a real joy to watch them enjoy sports as a whole. To be able to watch them accomplish what they do, after knowing what they started with, makes my chest swell with pride. Sorry had nothing to do with post but just felt like putting it out there.

my statement was by no means bashing parents....i have for many years kept kids from quiting were most coaches would have let it happen

This was general statement. Obviuosly you did not read all of the comments. You must be guilty!

People need to grow up. The meesage board should be for fun and talk about the kids. I don't care where you play. I dont car what league people are from play ball and let the kids have fun. Most you people are so worried about your selfish goals and what everyone else is doing. Put that much effort in you kids and everyone will be ok. I always find it amussing to see the kids walk of the field win or lose and ready to go onto to the next thing i.e get ice cream, go to a party, sleep over at friends house. The parents and coaches dwell on the game and make excuses. then get on a message board attach teams and leagues. I hope your kids learn lessons from some of the stupid stuff that goes on and does not repeat history and not feel cheated in life!

Look dude, would you make a point already! All of your post are you giving your opinion and then you think its ok because you put the words "its for the kids" after every post. Hey, I got one,  its for the kids.

Look back at where this started - I was not talking about you, I did not say "its about the Kids". I will work on my typing if you work on your reading.

I dont care who you are, it seems like your negative on every subject except your first post on this subject. My point was lets talk about something positive. There is a lot bashing within both leagues and especially Vidor. Is life that miserable?

I'm not negative, I'm pro LoneStar, and pro-dad/coach. I must have hit a nerve. What association are you with? What league do your kids play for? C'mon dude, tell us who you are! Don 't be scared. We won't hurt you. We just like to know who we are dealing with so we can type accordingly....

my statement was by no means bashing parents....i have for many years kept kids from quiting were most coaches would have let it happen

I didn't take it that way.

I didn't take it that way.

ok...just wanted to make sure

The most of this qoute is good and sounds like you are good dad being involved. But when I made a post about an opinion you jumped in said "enough already about the kids" in so many words. Why? I guess you have to show to your peanut gallery. By the way I do not have a kid playing, I do have a relative that plays. So what does it matter when you have opinion and do not have kid playing?

I do not allow my kids to quit anything they have started unless it is for a very good reason. However, I am just about fed up with the youth football program.  I know it is the same with all other youth sports but I have about had enough with "Daddy Ball".  Youth sports is all about teaching the kids how to play the game and the various positions.  All I have seen is the daddy's kids playing quarterback, runningback, and receiver.  Hey, I realize there are 11 positions out there and it takes all of them to make a team and win ballgames.  I am just getting sick and tired of seeing the same kid or kids getting a chance to make the scores.  Also, I am tired of my kid doing the blocking and grunt work so the coaches kids get all the praise and glory.  It's also sickening to see the look on my kid's face after getting reamed for missing a block and causing his kid not to score. I know I should confront the coach on this and I surely will. I just wanted to vent my frustration here and see if anyone else is feeling the way I do.  I realize my kid may not make a good quarterback or runningback but how is he ever going to know unless he gets the chance? I guess I will have to quit or find another job which will allow me to coach so I get to choose where he plays. Also, do not think for one moment these coaches are playing the best kids at these positions.

I may have missed your post, but did you ever confront the coach on this matter? If so, what transpired from the get together?

The most of this qoute is good and sounds like you are good dad being involved. But when I made a post about an opinion you jumped in said "enough already about the kids" in so many words. Why? I guess you have to show to your peanut gallery. By the way I do not have a kid playing, I do have a relative that plays. So what does it matter when you have opinion and do not have kid playing?

And this is another of your post " My son plays in the STJFL and the league is as good as any other league. I think all youth sports have issues, not matter what league. If we could eliminate parents with egos from participating all leagues would be better. Ever play little league, that has to be the worst and it is your own community screwing each other. There are issues but if you have an issue with a coach or your association you need to drop the title. You need to change your name because if you are not from Nederland you are going to give them a bad name.

My point is, you started a thread but do not want to back it up with names and then mislead everyone about the STJFL. But I do understand your point and what you are trying to say, keep it real

And you end with "keep it real" Get outta here dude and stir the pot somewhere else. Now we know what we are dealing with. Your post are not worthy of our time.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    newyourk01
    Newest Member
    newyourk01