Lamar to join the WAC?

Guest abovetherim

Guest abovetherim

The only way I see Lamar in the WAC is if there is two other Texas schools. If not the travel cost would hit Lamar really hard. I'm currently watching Boise State and La Tech on ESPN. Would love to be watching a Lamar football game on TV in about 5-6 years.

Also of notice was the last sentence of the article.

All of these universities listed here could become future additions to the Sun Belt, C-USA or WAC.

Guest coachacola

There have been several threads about Lamar, UTSA and Texas State joining the WAC over on the WACbbs board.

Here: http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=253638

and here: http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=306164

And UNLV brought this up not too long ago here: http://www.setxsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=41268.0

There's pluses and minuses to joining the WAC, but the more I think about it the more I like the idea.  The WAC now has 2 top 25 football teams now (Fresno St. and Boise St.) and last year Hawaii played in a BCS bowl game.  They seem to be doing better than the CUSA in football and they have a nice TV deal with ESPN.  The added exposure of the WAC and renewing our rival with La Tech would also be a plus.  Maybe Tubbs can perform some magic.

Guest abovetherim

One additional thought for me if Lamar were to move to a conference like the WAC is the boost in recruiting. I am confident Coach Roc would love the idea of selling recruits on the idea of playing in the WAC as compared to the SLC.

I'm not downing the SLC but it is just a fact some kids just won't give a SLC school a chance during the recruiting process.

Guest coachacola

One additional thought for me if Lamar were to move to a conference like the WAC is the boost in recruiting. I am confident Coach Roc would love the idea of selling recruits on the idea of playing in the WAC as compared to the SLC.

I'm not downing the SLC but it is just a fact some kids just won't give a SLC school a chance during the recruiting process.

I agree with you.  And since Roc likes to recruit in California then he could probably land more recruits from the west.  I bet it's hard for Roc to tell recruits they'll be playing in front of maybe 1 or 2 thousand people when playing conference road games.  Although the WAC has been down in basketball it's still a better league than the SLC.

Of course, the next question is could Lamar even compete in the WAC when they can't even when the SLC championship?  (Texas State gets this thrown at them for wanting to go FBS in football even though they can't win at the FCS level.)

The only way I see Lamar in the WAC is if there is two other Texas schools. If not the travel cost would hit Lamar really hard. I'm currently watching Boise State and La Tech on ESPN. Would love to be watching a Lamar football game on TV in about 5-6 years.

Also of notice was the last sentence of the article.

All of these universities listed here could become future additions to the Sun Belt, C-USA or WAC.

Yes, cost will be higher but so will revenue.

Lamar is SLC co-champs coach.

Think about, 2 top 25 teams coming to Beaumont vs 0-11 SFA. Which will bring in the largest crowd?

Guest abovetherim

Of course, the next question is could Lamar even compete in the WAC when they can't even when the SLC championship?  (Texas State gets this thrown at them for wanting to go FBS in football even though they can't win at the FCS level.)

Well, let's look at Boise State for example. If they were in a FCS conference would they be getting the same athletes. The answer is no way.

The show piece at Lamar for recruiting is the Montagne Center which is the best basketball arena in the SLC. IMO, that becomes a watered down issue because a certain level of player Lamar needs to be successful are visiting schools in the Sun Belt, C-USA and the WAC.

There is no doubt in my mind Lamar could get better players if the only change was conference affiliation.

2 things:

1. This is just some guy babbling like you or I do on these boards.

2. WAC would be a killer to any LU program. Though it might be nice for the high profile sports, what about the travel for the lower profile sports.

New SWC

1. Rice

2. UNT

3. UTSA

4. Tx State

5. Lamar

6. LT

7. UL

8. UH

9. SMU

10. Tulsa

11. UTEP

12. TCU

Sub in Ark State.

Low travel costs and fan friendly for travel. Could get a FOX SW deal for both football and basketball.

Of course, the next question is could Lamar even compete in the WAC when they can't even when the SLC championship?  (Texas State gets this thrown at them for wanting to go FBS in football even though they can't win at the FCS level.)

Well, let's look at Boise State for example. If they were in a FCS conference would they be getting the same athletes. The answer is no way.

The show piece at Lamar for recruiting is the Montagne Center which is the best basketball arena in the SLC. IMO, that becomes a watered down issue because a certain level of player Lamar needs to be successful are visiting schools in the Sun Belt, C-USA and the WAC.

There is no doubt in my mind Lamar could get better players if the only change was conference affiliation.

Yes!!!!!!!!!  Da Rim is right on time with his (?) comments. Excellent points! I'd love to see LU in WAC. But LU would become a whipping board for WAC. Remember the Sun Belt?

This is an old story -- Aug. 30.

Why do they keep including North Texas? They rejected the WAC!

UTSA will pick C-USA over WAC and should have that choice.

If Lamar or Texas State-San Marcos wanted to send their programs in shambles, have fun in the WAC. The NCAA even put out a report in the last week re: the high cost of travel and how lots of schools are having serious problems with it. That won't be a fun conference to travel -- flights EVERYWHERE and that includes your non-revenue sports. How much is it going to cost to send your VB team out to Hawaii and California?

Most of you think narrow -- football and hoops. There's many more sports in your athletic department than that...

WAC makes no sense for either or any of the Texas schools in this new world of the economy and travel junk...

This is an old story -- Aug. 30.

Why do they keep including North Texas? They rejected the WAC!

UTSA will pick C-USA over WAC and should have that choice.

If Lamar or Texas State-San Marcos wanted to send their programs in shambles, have fun in the WAC. The NCAA even put out a report in the last week re: the high cost of travel and how lots of schools are having serious problems with it. That won't be a fun conference to travel -- flights EVERYWHERE and that includes your non-revenue sports. How much is it going to cost to send your VB team out to Hawaii and California?

Most of you think narrow -- football and hoops. There's many more sports in your athletic department than that...

WAC makes no sense for either or any of the Texas schools in this new world of the economy and travel junk...

I have to agree(man that was hard for me to say) but the WAC is not a good fit for Lamar. C-USA or Sunbelt would be better.

I have to agree(man that was hard for me to say) but the WAC is not a good fit for Lamar. C-USA or Sunbelt would be better.

Easy to agree when I make some sense of what I say, isn't it?

Best part of C-USA is that you guys would get to make short trips to Rice and Houston. Lots of Cards fans in that area too. With increased travel costs of going to such a conference, you'd probably still maintain a few of your SLC rivalries, which are short trips away as well (Lake Charles and Huntsville).

I still see Lamar third or fourth in the pecking order of schools that have a high desirability from the SLC. UTSA and TxSt are #1 and #2. After that, not really sure -- Lamar needs to get on the field and make those upgrades as far as football goes...

Easy to agree when I make some sense of what I say, isn't it?

Best part of C-USA is that you guys would get to make short trips to Rice and Houston. Lots of Cards fans in that area too. With increased travel costs of going to such a conference, you'd probably still maintain a few of your SLC rivalries, which are short trips away as well (Lake Charles and Huntsville).

I still see Lamar third or fourth in the pecking order of schools that have a high desirability from the SLC. UTSA and TxSt are #1 and #2. After that, not really sure -- Lamar needs to get on the field and make those upgrades as far as football goes...

LU isn't ready to play with the big boys yet. Which is another reason why you guys returned to the SLC, to save money and try and go back to your glory days. Like a baby, there has to be steps taken before yo can play with the big dogs. As far as basketball, there is no way LU could compete in the CUSA. But it would fill up the Montagne when schools like Memphis, Rice, and UH show up to play

Guest abovetherim

2 things:

1. This is just some guy babbling like you or I do on these boards.

2. WAC would be a killer to any LU program. Though it might be nice for the high profile sports, what about the travel for the lower profile sports.

New SWC

1. Rice

2. UNT

3. UTSA

4. Tx State

5. Lamar

6. LT

7. UL

8. UH

9. SMU

10. Tulsa

11. UTEP

12. TCU

Sub in Ark State.

Low travel costs and fan friendly for travel. Could get a FOX SW deal for both football and basketball.

The only way I see Lamar in the WAC is if there is two other Texas schools.

I agree there is no way Lamar joins the WAC unless at least a couple Texas schools joined with them. Also, I agree the Sun Belt or C-USA would be better choices.

Several people have mentioned a new SWC and that would be an excellent choice too.

The WAC needs to "regionalize"...I just do not see that happening. They got bit hard when the WAC fell out from under them a few years ago and they want to keep that solid core together. Karl Benson is looking at all sorts of options that he was not willing to before because of the problems, particularly for postseason championships and other things that directly come from travel woes.

One of the main reasons Lamar came back to the SLC was travel costs.  Financial times are much better at Lamar than they were ten years ago, but the WAC would include crazy travel costs.  IDaho, Hawaii, California and Louisiana.  Ridiculous time and miles in the air. 

If we want to go FBS conference, it needs to be CUSA, Sun Belt or a startup - like the SWC several people have touted on here.  I like the idea, but the expense of the WAC would literally kill the athletic program.

Ofcourse CUSA would be better, however the WAC would be better then the SLC until CUSA opens up a spot or

the new SWC is born.

Higher revenue and fund raisers as well as Tech's travel partner would cover the cost of travel. Lamar is now bigger

and wealthier (and soon to be Tier 1)than Tech, yet Tech is the big dawg on espn and Lamar is the small time.

When CUSA starting looking for spots to fill, will they look to a WEAK Tech athletic program competing in the WAC first?

or a stronger LU program competing in the SLC?

Yes, the WAC. If Lamar wants to be at the top of the list to join CUSA, LU must join the WAC or at least the SUN.

The SLC schools will be considered last if at all..

Guest coachacola

From what I gather from around the web is that travel costs for all the minor sports is taking a big bite out of their athletic budgets.  The WAC commissioner is looking into ways to cut that, possibly by getting non-football travel partner for La Tech.  I think adding 3 eastern teams is the other option they might be looking at although that's just a rumor.

Boise State, Fresno State and Hawaii seem to be the big dogs in the WAC, and if they left then the TV money would probably shrivel up.  But if they stayed long term and they had a WAC-east division with say La Tech, NMSU, LU, UTSA, Texas State and Utah State, then a lot of the extra travel costs would be covered by the TV money.  There would also be more money from the NCAA for basketball and football.

Lamar will probably never get into the CUSA, and frankly that doesn't bother me.  Starting a new conference with a lot of FBS startups and newbies means lots of struggles and no TV money.  Put Lamar in the WAC and you renew the La Tech rivalry, more exposure all around, possibly a big conference game against a top 25 football and/or basketball program each year, and a more exciting conference slate.

The odds are slim to none this will happen but compared to the SLC it wouldn't be that bad of a deal.  You think La Tech would trade spots with Lamar?

You think La Tech would trade spots with Lamar?

Nope. Why would La Tech go to the SLC? They already looked down upon the league in the 1980s and 1990s. The Sun Belt won't take them back. They are in a tough spot -- where they are in the WAC until a new SWC is formed as I think they are rather low on the C-USA list behind a few Sun Belt squads and even UTSA...

Ofcourse CUSA would be better, however the WAC would be better then the SLC until CUSA opens up a spot or the new SWC is born.

What if that doesn't happen? Then you become a Louisiana Tech like school...

When CUSA starting looking for spots to fill, will they look to a WEAK Tech athletic program competing in the WAC first? or a stronger LU program competing in the SLC?

Or UTSA program in the Southland in a major market and could help with tie-ins to the Alamo Bowl?

Guest abovetherim

Sorry, right now UH doesn't belong in a conversation with Memphis.

I get carried away sometimes because I still live in UH's glory days before all the sanctions hurt the program. You're right! But' we're coming back.

Love that signature! You and a few others think the "dreams" of a few of us on here about Lamar in a better conference, having athletic success as well as academic are that only "dreams" which can never become reality.

Well, back in the 70's a young Obama and Palin may have had "dreams" of doing something special with their lives. If back then in the 70's, I told you a black man would never be President or a woman VP, I may have been in the majority. (I personally did not think this as I'm only attempting to show it is easier to build a athletic program than to change social issues and views). I would now be proved wrong because one of them are going to be in the White House in January.

So which is easier, changing social views and beliefs of a country or developing a successful college athletic program?

I believe it is the later of the two.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124