This one will be good....NEWTON @ EC

Project a Match up from Cal Preps..... ;D

[2006] Newton (TX) 38, [2006] East Chambers (Winnie, TX) 24

[2007] Newton (TX) 31, [2007] East Chambers (Winnie, TX) 19

this is good but it only goes by stats alone and newton was playing much better competition than EC was and their stats were still much better against better teams so this isn't even the real truth of what newton would do to EC

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think newton dodged the game they just played better teams so they could get ready for a state run nothing against EC but Newton doest dodge any team especially teams like EC

So why on earth would they play EC now? That doesn't make a bit of sense, does it?

Newton dodged EC the last two years, plain and simple.

WHOAAAAAA >:(  MY FRIEND WHY WOULD NEWTON dodge any team especially EC, please wake up, newton will win.

Guest ECBucFan

Those projections are a looooooooooooooooooooong way from it being an impossible game for EC. 12 and 14 points are competative games. Throw in the 14-7 game, and its very close.

So, the question still remains: Why refuse in 06 and 07, and agree NOW?

No one can explain that! Bottom line, EC wanted it (along with everyone else), Newton didn't, and refused. The truth stands.

To the Newton fans:

Be careful with the comments please.  EC runs a nice program and does not deserve to be dogged (I don't think that is anyone's intent, but it could be misread) because one crazy fan wants to project his reality into cyberspace.

To ECBucFan:

You really should have your water/paint/insulation tested. 

Guest ECBucFan

To the Newton fans:

Be careful with the comments please.  EC runs a nice program and does not deserve to be dogged (I don't think that is anyone's intent, but it could be misread) because one crazy fan wants to project his reality into cyberspace.

To ECBucFan:

You really should have your water/paint/insulation tested. 

Insults are not a problem, they don't matter to me in the least. What I would like to hear is WHY Newton refused in 06 and 07, and agrees NOW. (I think everyone around HS ball would have loved to have seen it the past two years, but, NEWTON REFUSED.) I have patiently waited for an intelligent response to that, and have yet to recieve one. If EC is beneath even stepping on the field with Newton, then why play now?. Show a little class and give an intelligent response, if anyone can. 

Guest ECBucFan

Coach Barbay has told me he would play 5A Schools if he could.

Thats fine, and I believe it. I also believe its "safe" to do so, since it would be an increadible feat if Newton wins, and if they lose, no one would think anything about it since the 5A opponents were so big. What was not "safe" for Newton was playing an athletic EC team in 06 or 07. (NOTE TO ALL: I DID NOT SAY EC WOULD WIN) Newton didn't want to risk it. Again, it raises the question, why play now, but not then?

No one can answer that...

Thats fine, and I believe it. I also believe its "safe" to do so, since it would be an increadible feat if Newton wins, and if they lose, no one would think anything about it since the 5A opponents were so big. What was not "safe" for Newton was playing an athletic EC team in 06 or 07. (NOTE TO ALL: I DID NOT SAY EC WOULD WIN) Newton didn't want to risk it. Again, it raises the question, why play now, but not then?

No one can answer that...

He wants better teams, like the ones in the 3rd round and up in the playoffs. Not local small schools. The man knows how to put a team together.

What I would like to hear is WHY Newton refused in 06 and 07, and agrees NOW. (I think everyone around HS ball would have loved to have seen it the past two years, but, NEWTON REFUSED.) I have patiently waited for an intelligent response to that, and have yet to recieve one. If EC is beneath even stepping on the field with Newton, then why play now?. Show a little class and give an intelligent response, if anyone can.   

The have been good responses, you just reject them because they do not fit with your view of things.  You have decided it is fact that Newton was "scared" to play a pre-district game vs. EC the last two years.  You have, and will likely continue to, reject any explanation that does not fit in your personal reality.

Just because you keep saying it over and over does not make it true.

Some points to consider:

The only evidence I have seen that EC tried to get Newton on the schedule in the past two years has been your posts on this board.  Now maybe they did, I am not saying they did not, just pointing out this is not the common knowledge you think it is.  If EC did try to get Newton scheduled again the only evidence to date that the game did not happen because Newton declined is again your posts.

Now why are people doubtful that Curtis Barbay was "scared"?

Consider the following:

The supposition that Newton would be "dodging" EC makes a large assumption that does not hold up under objective consideration.

That Newton feels losing a preseason game would somehow harm the team.  We know this to be untrue since Newton routinely schedules teams that can, if not should, beat them in the preseason.

For the sake of your question, let's assume that EC did try to schedule Newton and that Newton declined. I'll offer you two alternative reasons Barbay might have declined to play EC other than he was "scared".  Yes, I am doing this knowing full well that you will reject both out of hand since they do not fit into your personal reality, despite the fact they are far more likely to be true in the reality the rest of us dwell in.

1.  Barbay did not want to schedule a team that had a reasonably high chance of meeting Newton in Bi-Disrict.

2.  He felt the opponents that Newton did play would improve Newton more than EC could.

And I'd fight Ali if I could! Any idiot can make a boast when he knows there's no way he'll ever be required to back it up.

Kinda like any idiot can accuse a coaching legend of empty boasts on the internet when they know they don't have to face them and back THAT up?

And I'd fight Ali if I could! Any idiot can make a boast when he knows there's no way he'll ever be required to back it up.

Kinda like any idiot can accuse a coaching legend of empty boasts on the internet when they know they don't have to face them and back THAT up?

LMAO

You Barbie's SIL or just someone having a man crush?

Just for grins, I checked the historical record to see if Curtis Barbay has ever scheduled a 5A team. (Thanks WOS87!)

The answer, as expected, was No.  You might be surprised how close it was though.

Reference 1988 and the first meeting of WOS and Newton.

True that was 4A vs. 3A but if you look a little deeper:

That 1988 WOS team was only 2 years removed from class 5A, was the defending back-toback 4A champs (they lost to Paris in the finals to fall just short of a 3peat that year), and were less than 1 year removed from defeating the #1 ranked 5A team.  The point here is that when this game was scheduled WOS was at the pinnacle of Mustang glory and would likely be considered (and rightly so) to be better than many, if not most 5A teams.

As for Newton being 3A then vs 2A now... well, Newton enrollment then: 427*. Newton enrollment now: 426.

Does that "prove" Barbay would in fact schedule a 5A team?  No, not really.  It does not really prove anything at all.  It does serve to illustrate that he is not afraid to schedule well above the level of his team though and it seems pretty unlikely that the guy that would schedule that game would be "afraid" to schedule the big, bad EC squads of 2007 and 2008.

All in all...I am bored and people here in Austin just don't love the HS football the way SE Texans do.  Call it an outlet.

* 426 is actually the 1990 number, the closest I could find.

I went to Newton and I can promise you that Barbay will play just about anybody. As for EC, he was by no means backing out of playing them in 06 and 07. As for the 14-7 game, the score does not show the stats. Newton beat them down, EC couldn't move the ball. Barbay is just 9 games away from being the #5 coach in TX history. Newton by 35 this yr.

Guest ECBucFan

After reading all the hysterical responses and insults, there is STILL no indication of why NOW, but not THEN.

Time to move on. Just wished there could have been more realistic & precise answers, which never occoured. Also wished SETX football fans could have seen the 2A game everyone really wanted to see the past two years. EC was willing, Newton wasn't. Period.

BYE.

I DO NOT POST ANYTHING THAT OFTEN, BUT I CANNOT HELP IT WHEN PEOPLE MAKE STATEMENTS THAT ARE NONSENSE.  COACH V WANTED THIS GAME AND ASKED BARABY WAY BACK BEFORE REALIGNMENT TO PLAY IF NOT IN THE SAME DISTRICT AND THEY AGREED.  NEWTON COULD NEVER PLAY A 5A B/C IT IS AGAINST UIL RULES, SO YOU WOULDN'T FIND ANYTHING IN A SEARCH.  NEWTON IS NOT SCARED OF PLAYING EC - BOTH VALASTRO AND BARBAY BELIEVE THE SAME THING - IF YOU WANT TO BE GOOD YOU PLAY GOOD PEOPLE.  YOU NEVER GET GOOD PLAYING LITTLE SISTERS FOR THE POOR.  IT WILL BE A GOOD GAME B/C IT WILL MAKE BOTH TEAMS BETTER B/C THEY ARE PLAYING A QUALITY OPPONENT.  PERIOD.  NOW ALL YOU KIDS JUST GO PRACTICE AND PLAY - STOP TALKING ABOUT STUFF YOU HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder