JASPER COACHES ARE STEAMING ABOUT NEW CLASS LOAD!

Word is that Jasper ISD has decided to add a huge teacher workload including coaches.  Word is they will have to teach six classes and they are steamed and very angry!  Anybody have any INSIDE info on this topic.  I heard from OUTSIDE that some of the coaches are so mad they are looking for other jobs. 

I don't know about Jasper's teaching load for the coaches but if I am reading the post correctly, they are having the coaches teach 6 classes PLUS "teach" football.  Football IS their classroom and that is a shame if they are not allowing the coaches to have an off period (perhaps they are counting their football class as an off period?)  Until we get more details, just don't know how to respond to this!

Do not know the specifics of Jasper HS but in other district HS (AAA) in old district they (coaches) are on a 8 period day so they teach 5 academic classes and 2 athletic periods (freshman and varsity) with 1 conference period. But if they have 1 athletic period only and are on a 8 period day they could still have a conference period without doing athletics on their conference. It all depends on there situation. But it is illegal to make a coach or teacher teach on their conference period unless compensated for the extra class this would include an athletic period. This I know.

Teachers are granted 450 minutes worth of conf time in a 10 day span.  Some districts who have a block schedule may actually give 900 in the same span.  I would wager that the powers that be have determined Jasper has to improve in the academic areas.  Football records are all fine and dandy but it is the classroom where performance must shine the most.  Also with tightening budgets folks are required to do more and more and coaches are no exception.  Athletics are secondary in a school setting.

Teachers are granted 450 minutes worth of conf time in a 10 day span.   Some districts who have a block schedule may actually give 900 in the same span.  I would wager that the powers that be have determined Jasper has to improve in the academic areas.  Football records are all fine and dandy but it is the classroom where performance must shine the most.  Also with tightening budgets folks are required to do more and more and coaches are no exception.   Athletics are secondary in a school setting.

Agreed on all points. I know Jasper has good coaches and I don't doubt at all that they work hard, but these kids need exposure to a lot more than football from their coaches. It's tough for most of us now that have decent educations and getting tougher. Imagine what it's gonna be like for these kids that aren't putting maximum effort into their educations. Coaches have a lot of influence and when they're not in the classrooms, they need to be stressing education as much as they possibly can.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami