US OPEN??

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTH is going on?!?  No umpires?

Well, if you were an umpire, living 65 miles away and having to make round trips each day because

TD does not want to put you in a hotel, and does not want to furnish you with liquid, [water, gator-

ade, or Weeds favoriate], and all this had to come from your pocket, would you call?

If so, I have lots of extra gear I can loan you.  ;D

Most of us don't do it for the money, we love the game.  However, we don't want to lose money and

work all day in 97 + degrees without being furnished gatorade, water, then a place to shower and

rest.  None were offered, in fact we were told none would be available.

DAMan pretty much summed it up.  I've never heard of a "nationals" not providing rooms for out of town umpires.  The teams may be sorely disappointed with the quality (and maybe even the quantity) of umpires they get after spending their time and money to play in this tournament. 

Thus far, no one has spent a nickel on the Open except for me.......

We have offered $30/game plus all meals and drinks, and we are offering double rooms in the $75 range for umpires.........

That's not the gossip, that's not the rumor, that's not what's through the grapevine...

THAT's the FACT!

I know because I am doing the paying.

R. Linney

Texas Softball Magazine

Guest 11/13Dad

We have offered $30/game plus all meals and drinks, and we are offering double rooms in the $75 range for umpires.........

That's not the gossip, that's not the rumor, that's not what's through the grapevine...

THAT's the FACT!

R. Linney

Texas Softball Magazine

What? A thread that was not locked concerning this top notch extravaganza

DAMan pretty much summed it up.  I've never heard of a "nationals" not providing rooms for out of town umpires.  The teams may be sorely disappointed with the quality (and maybe even the quantity) of umpires they get after spending their time and money to play in this tournament. 

So what's the deal?  Now they're advertising for umpires at $30 + food and drink.  No mention of hotel rooms.  Said you guys made other plans... so are you going to umpire or boycott?  Lot of local teams would sure like yell at a familiar face!  ;)

THAT's the FACT!

R. Linney

Texas Softball Magazine

All other associations PAY for the rooms.  $75.00 a pop is five free games.  3 day tournament = two nights

now $150, and ten games.  So umpires that travel are out $4.00 a gallon on gas, $150 dollars.  They would

be in the hole before they start.

THAT's the FACT!

R. Linney

Texas Softball Magazine

No, actually the teams that entered the tournament are doing the paying.  I have TD'd and UIC'd.  That is

why the entry fee is collected, to foot the bills.

What? A thread that was not locked concerning this top notch extravaganza

Guest stircrazy

Is it on or off? Don't you think that this should have beeen worked out before all of the advertising on SETX. Mr. Linney , If this is your idea of a TOP- NOTCH ,well scheduled , well run "NATIONALS" without all the paperwork then now you see why we all play with affiliated tournaments.  Bring your on .47 core ball and your own umpire also? Wow what a great advantage some team could have.

Not trying to add fuel to the fire just want to know . Heard there will be no water in the dug outs and there will be no field maint. crew. Is this true it is awful hot and a chance for rain. If we do not get our games in will we get our money back?

Not trying to add fuel to the fire just want to know . Heard there will be no water in the dug outs and there will be no field maint. crew. Is this true it is awful hot and a chance for rain. If we do not get our games in will we get our money back?

There are a lot of coaches that have their personal funds tied up into this tournament. That along with trying to pickup players for player shortages means we , the teams, need some answers today. If we are paying $200 to play, $30 for umpires, and $10 at the gate I would expect water in the dugouts, field crews, and happy well qualified umpires. Upsetting the umpires is my job on the field.Just kidding. If this tournament is not going to happen we need to know today so we can get our money back.

There are a lot of coaches that have their personal funds tied up into this tournament. That along with trying to pickup players for player shortages means we , the teams, need some answers today. If we are paying $200 to play, $30 for umpires, and $10 at the gate I would expect water in the dugouts, field crews, and happy well qualified umpires. Upsetting the umpires is my job on the field.Just kidding. If this tournament is not going to happen we need to know today so we can get our money back.

[move]Upsetting the umpires is my job on the field.Just kidding.[/move]

No, your  not!  Is he BHBLUE?  ;D ;D ;D

Have you ever paid close attention what you dump out a water cooler after a tournament or watch what goes on with a water cooler during games (particularly with younger age groups).  You've got hands getting ice, wet rags, neck coolers, etc. going in and out of them. I know this and I still drink out of them cause its cold, wet and refreshing at the time.  I'll deal with the potential squirts later.

As far as the costs for this tournament, I had nothing planned for this weekend anyways and its at home.  Beats finding some pickup tournament in Houston that costs about $2000 total travel and accomodations for my team.

Have you ever paid close attention what you dump out a water cooler after a tournament or watch what goes on with a water cooler during games (particularly with younger age groups).  You've got hands getting ice, wet rags, neck coolers, etc. going in and out of them. I know this and I still drink out of them cause its cold, wet and refreshing at the time.  I'll deal with the potential squirts later.

As far as the costs for this tournament, I had nothing planned for this weekend anyways and its at home.  Beats finding some pickup tournament in Houston that costs about $2000 total travel and accommodations for my team.

I'm with you MC.........

1. Bring a team cooler and drink bottle water or Gatoraide. 

2. As for field crews....  been to several tournaments lately that did not have Field crews. 

3. I bet there are enough "empires" for Pirate88 to make mad!

Lot cheaper to stay close to home>

As far as the costs for this tournament, I had nothing planned for this weekend anyways and its at home.  Beats finding some pickup tournament in Houston that costs about $2000 total travel and accommodations for my team.

I'm with you MC.........

2. As for field crews....  been to several tournaments lately that did not have Field crews. 

I'm with you guys. I can rake, done it before. And drinks are cheaper than hotel rooms.

Guest stircrazy

1) $3.50 for case of water.

2) $ 50.00 for gas.

3) $ 50.00 Fruit Stand down the road.

4) $ 50.00 Daquiri Shack  ( on the way back from the FRUIT STAND)

Summer softball with your kids PRICELESS!!!!!!

It would be nice to know what is going on. I would hate to get there and be disappointed.

1) $3.50 for case of water.

2) $ 50.00 for gas.

3) $ 50.00 Fruit Stand down the road.

4) $ 50.00 Daquiri Shack  ( on the way back from the FRUIT STAND)

Summer softball with your kids PRICELESS!!!!!!

It would be nice to know what is going on. I would hate to get there and be disappointed.

Is there one of those Daiquiri Shacks places in Ft. Worth?

I just got a call from the individual that will now be the UIC of the tournament.  Mike Gorgran.

Seems as though the TD has had a change in his thinking.  Rooms will be provided to umpires,

water and gatorade also.  Water for the teams.

No, I will not be there.

I'm with you MC.........

No field crew = No OCG and No CRUSHCOACH!  Collins, McLain, Cole, Thompson, Birdwell, and Jaynes are lost without our leader!

(OK - the truth of the matter is - The pay wasn't worth it while TRYING to play!)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder